Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Have not Camped Mid Season For Awhile....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Have not Camped Mid Season For Awhile....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How crowded is it out there for most of you that try camping during summer? Is it getting difficult to find a spot?

I won't be camping till schools back in session as usual.

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from ATC

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent last week at LBL in Tenn-Kentucky. We had reservations, but there seemed to be plenty of available sites. They have a limited number of full Hookup sites, but there were a few of those that were empty also. So it really depends on where you want to go. This area can get quite hot and humid in the summer, so many folks prefer to stay home in the AC, especially July and August. But there are many places that are quite pleasant.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent the last week of July in a resort in San Diego. Way too many kids and the place was packed - and that's at over $100 a night. We normally go in early June and late September.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to Glacier Nat'l Park in July last year - had no prior reservations, but had no problems getting camping sites at private campgrounds. Didn't even attempt to camp at Glacier itself - it was booked solid. The biggest problem we had during "high season" was not being able to stop at scenic turnouts because there simply were no parking spaces (and we were in our converted camping van - the same footprint as a pickup truck). Once the kids are back in school, it's much easier to visit popular sites, IMO.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the shoulder seasons best and the desert in winter.
Last week I went to a popular lake in the Sierras. School started early this year. In a large campground loop of 40 spaces, I was one of two rigs in the whole place. That was mid-week Tues-thurs. I saw more deer than people.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/19 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the responses. I did not know some places start school before Labor Day. Interesting.

I love the 'shoulder seasons' (nice way to call it) when you can feel a cool breeze on a warm day and the colors start changing.

With all the talk about rv sales at highest demand, I was wondering.

* This post was edited 08/20/19 06:17am by covered wagon *

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even in the later part of the year sites can be hard to get. Especially in the destination areas, Smokey Mts, Disney World, any beach local, etc. We are planning a Sept/Oct trip and moving about regularly. We might have to make reservations for the week ends, we'll see.
Best to check the sites you're interested in and keep tabs on the vacancies.

Our Phoenix Cruiser 2100, "Bob", has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Have not Camped Mid Season For Awhile....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS