cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have not Camped Mid Season For Awhile....

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
How crowded is it out there for most of you that try camping during summer? Is it getting difficult to find a spot?

I won't be camping till schools back in session as usual.
7 REPLIES 7

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even in the later part of the year sites can be hard to get. Especially in the destination areas, Smokey Mts, Disney World, any beach local, etc. We are planning a Sept/Oct trip and moving about regularly. We might have to make reservations for the week ends, we'll see.
Best to check the sites you're interested in and keep tabs on the vacancies.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the responses. I did not know some places start school before Labor Day. Interesting.

I love the 'shoulder seasons' (nice way to call it) when you can feel a cool breeze on a warm day and the colors start changing.

With all the talk about rv sales at highest demand, I was wondering.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the shoulder seasons best and the desert in winter.
Last week I went to a popular lake in the Sierras. School started early this year. In a large campground loop of 40 spaces, I was one of two rigs in the whole place. That was mid-week Tues-thurs. I saw more deer than people.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Glacier Nat'l Park in July last year - had no prior reservations, but had no problems getting camping sites at private campgrounds. Didn't even attempt to camp at Glacier itself - it was booked solid. The biggest problem we had during "high season" was not being able to stop at scenic turnouts because there simply were no parking spaces (and we were in our converted camping van - the same footprint as a pickup truck). Once the kids are back in school, it's much easier to visit popular sites, IMO.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Spent the last week of July in a resort in San Diego. Way too many kids and the place was packed - and that's at over $100 a night. We normally go in early June and late September.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Spent last week at LBL in Tenn-Kentucky. We had reservations, but there seemed to be plenty of available sites. They have a limited number of full Hookup sites, but there were a few of those that were empty also. So it really depends on where you want to go. This area can get quite hot and humid in the summer, so many folks prefer to stay home in the AC, especially July and August. But there are many places that are quite pleasant.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Moved from ATC