cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow vehicles

redfoxoline76
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 jayco hybrid which I have been towing with a 2005 Chevy trailblazer. Although the trailblazer can handle the trailer and I have towed with it on various occasions I often borrow a larger tow vehicle from family. I’m considering a dodge Dakota with the V-8 which would more than handle my needs and be able to tow my hybrid. I’m wondering what people’s experiences have been with towing a lightweight trailer with mid size pickups.
5 REPLIES 5

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
We're on our third hybrid and don't find them that easy to tow as advertised by the manufacturer.
Our latest, a Starcraft 21SSO is being towed by a Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi and we feel it back there.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
redfoxoline76 wrote:
I have a 2015 jayco hybrid which I have been towing with a 2005 Chevy trailblazer. Although the trailblazer can handle the trailer and I have towed with it on various occasions I often borrow a larger tow vehicle from family. I’m considering a dodge Dakota with the V-8 which would more than handle my needs and be able to tow my hybrid. I’m wondering what people’s experiences have been with towing a lightweight trailer with mid size pickups.

My last 2 trailers we sized to my Tacoma so my experience has been good. Hope to tow a few more yrs with what I have before our next upgrade.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

mnaquaman
Explorer
Explorer
I have been there. The Trailblazer was a great vehicle and it did a fair job towing my 2005 Jayco 21J. However in heavy winds it was a handful to control! If you have the extended version with the 5.3L I think it might be a pretty decent tow vehicle. I had the short wheelbase and 6cyl engine.

I had the opportunity to pull my 21J with an extended cab Dodge Diesel. I did not even know it was back there.

I did change to a Chevy Avalanche, which made all the difference in the world. With the Avalanche we pulled that little 21J all over the country and loved it!

For me I like a longer wheel base vehicle, they don't rock forwards & back and the longer wheel base helps with sway! I know pull a 26" trailer with a 2015 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton Crew Cab. Perfect for a 6000 lbs trailer!

Happy Camping & travel safe!
Randy & Sharon Engelland
Farmington, MN
2017 Jayco 23bhm
2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of missing information here. What model and GVWR of the Jayco? What configuration for the TB, I6 or V8? LWB or SWB? 2WD or 4WD? All of this would in understanding what's going on.

I towed my current X20E with a Trailblazer for one year. Between the high miles and the fact that I was right at the TBs limits we got the Sierra. Very nice towing experience.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If the Trailblazer can easily handle your TT why are you borrowing another, larger vehicle? Depending on the Dakota’s payload and max tow weight, which you didn’t give, it will probably be better than the Chevy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad