Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Camping on my lot against zoning law
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping on my lot against zoning law

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very few towns will assess a fine unless the "perp" just ignores the notice of violation and continues to live there. As said above, you've already been there 5 months, I'd just lay low and if you get popped, then move.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In general your OK as long as there are no complaints. Zoning inspectors generally don't patrol for issues but they do respond and enforce when alerted to an issue.
If there is a complaint and you are in violation, enforcement could happen quickly.
There may not be much of a grace period.
I understand you wanting to remain under the radar, but unless you get factual info from your local zoning dept. you are relying on hearsay.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some areas around here where you can’t even park your pickup in your front driveway! [emoticon] Not allowed to be seen from the street.

cekkk

Southern Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tone of OPs post lead me away from the otherwise reasonable suggestions to wait and see.

OP, if you can sleep, fine. If you need resolution then you need to get the answers.

'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Posting Help and Support

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/19 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ran into the same situation in Coldwater Michigan, on Wife's deceased Father's property. neighbor across the street had the city send us a letter that we could not park our motorhome on it. Spent 10,00-.00 on preparing the lot, near the water.On top of that she had been going into the old house and leaving food for feral cats, then complaining to the city about the cats. We would only be there maybe a week or two with full hookups in the summer.
We ended up selling it. She cost us over 50,000.00. The people we sold it too put a real big modular home on it. I bet that frosted her cake. She and neighbors wanted it for their parking lot for friends and family It was about an acre in size.
Space is your friend: buy a nice piece of property in a county with fire service to save ins money.
And build whatever suits your fancy for home and RV.
We have a small ten acre lot, but no preparations to park the mh. Too many springs. We keep in storage formerly with full service, inside, we will do that soon as another facility opens...but no zoning ordinances, and neighbors too far away to care and RVers themselves...They and I would not put up with something that would reduce our appreciation or our property and surrounding areas of course.

NoVa RT

Northern Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 10:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recommend contacting an attorney whose practice includes zoning issues. If you bring your situation to the attention of the local government, it may be hard pressed to ignore your non-compliance, even if the normal practice is to only act in response to a complaint, especially if you’re discharging sewage in a prohibited manner. If you already know you’re in violation, you may be on borrowed time, but there may be options. Probably worth it to find out on your schedule, not when the government decides to act.

2013 RT 190-Popular

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I take the OPs post as he knows living in his camper is not legit but hasn't had issues yet.
1. STFU and keep your neighbors happy.
2. You already know you days are numbered so figure it out before it becomes an issue. Could be a week or could be a year, but it's most likely not going to be forever unless there's more to the story.
3. It sounds like a smaller lot if your neighbors garden hose reaches your camper, unless it's like 10 hoses, so if you don't have water and you don't have a house or the ability to make something that meets code and its in town, see suggestion number 2.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/19 11:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

horizons196 wrote:

Greetings I’m new to the forum and enjoying it alot, however I can’t find an answer anywhere. What will happen to me when cops say I can’t live here. It’s on my lot in a small town of 10k. There’s No house, just a garage with electric. Ive lived in this camper in plain view for 5 months now. I park in the driveway, fill the tank with my neighbors hose and empty the septic in my drain with no complaints. it’s great so far, just not zoned for camper living. Will I get a fine, ordinance violation, or just a warning? How long would I have to leave? I’m so worried I’ve buried my power line and sealed my windows.

Not having running water and living in the RV in the driveway could be a issue down the road.

What you need to do is have a water line installed to the garage since you already have electric and sewer as you said than try and park the RV behind the garage than I see no issues..

You need to stay on the low and have all the hookups, when the city does show up you will never get them off your back if you have no running water with RV in driveway..

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/19 05:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be a good citizen and neighbor always. Whether or not your zoning allows this is a factor, as well as HOA rules allow. If you have been doing this for 5 months, chances are the HOA is not there or not aware. Condition of the RV and how the 'site' looks goes a long way when dealing with government officials

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping on my lot against zoning law
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS