cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping on my lot against zoning law

horizons196
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings I’m new to the forum and enjoying it alot, however I can’t find an answer anywhere. What will happen to me when cops say I can’t live here. It’s on my lot in a small town of 10k. There’s No house, just a garage with electric. Ive lived in this camper in plain view for 5 months now. I park in the driveway, fill the tank with my neighbors hose and empty the septic in my drain with no complaints. it’s great so far, just not zoned for camper living. Will I get a fine, ordinance violation, or just a warning? How long would I have to leave? I’m so worried I’ve buried my power line and sealed my windows.
51 REPLIES 51

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Three pages of speculation, OP doesn't seem to be coming back. I'm calling this one.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
I just can't stop picturing Cousin Eddy standing there in his short robe, beer in hand, dumping the Wiinibago black tank into the storm drain .
If the op is in process of rebuilding a house lost to a catastrophe, I probably would look the other way. However, if it's not that then I would be raising cane with the city. I bought our lot & house because the area is zoned for single family, SITE BUILT homes. Not " campers " to be lived in full time.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
... What sign do we have that he is not paying the required "rent" to the city/state/county?

I think the fact that he's worried he'll be run off "his" property is kind of a clue.

The fact is that just because you own a pay your taxes on property in a city does not mean you can do what you want. If the structure is not a residence, you can't live there.
Not paying for water may be another.

If I am willing to let my neighbor use water that has come thru my meter, nothing illegal. OTOH, staying in a camper on the FHU in the yard, would be a code violation. And the city could make me move.

Not knowing exactly what the "drain" is he's using for his black water might be yet another.

This for sure could be a issue. And if it is a storm drain, the punishment should be severe. If he has a opening into the sanitary sewer, he is good. Dropping into a manhole? Not so good, but not a disaster.
To call him, a property owner, "free loader" without direction of same to a full timer spending the night at Cracker barrel...

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
cekkk wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
How did you arrive at the conclusion the OP lives in a truck camper. He does say he lives in a camper, but he also could be referring to a trailer. Not everyone refers to an RV using the same nomenclature.

I looked at his profile.
So did I and there was nothing about him or what his camper is.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
How did you arrive at the conclusion the OP lives in a truck camper. He does say he lives in a camper, but he also could be referring to a trailer. Not everyone refers to an RV using the same nomenclature.

I looked at his profile.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
OP lives in a truck camper. May not have a few hundred thousand dollars to build a house. Where I've lived a habitable garage must be preceded by construction of a residence if I remember correctly.
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
horizons196 wrote:
Greetings I’m new to the forum and enjoying it alot, however I can’t find an answer anywhere. What will happen to me when cops say I can’t live here. It’s on my lot in a small town of 10k. There’s No house, just a garage with electric. Ive lived in this camper in plain view for 5 months now. I park in the driveway, fill the tank with my neighbors hose and empty the septic in my drain with no complaints. it’s great so far, just not zoned for camper living. Will I get a fine, ordinance violation, or just a warning? How long would I have to leave? I’m so worried I’ve buried my power line and sealed my windows.

Why not build a house?
Or convert the garage into a house,!?

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
" I’m so worried I’ve buried my power line and sealed my windows. "

^WTH does this mean anyway?
OP hasn't been back in 2 days for something that appeared to be a pressing matter for him.
Breakin' the law? Yeah he already knows that. Bringing down the neighborhood? Doubt it or he wouldn't have been able to Cousin Eddy it near this long.

Just more RVnet entertainment...

Completely missed that. Intriguing, maybe protect from a teargas raid.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The warnings and consequences will escalate. Although it could be an extended period to get the first notice. As long as the RV has wheels you should have no worries. Keep a low profile.

This is a good time to get down to the city and discover what the permitted options are and move forward with something besides the RV.

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
"What sign do we have that he is not paying the required "rent" to the city/state/county?"

Post made me wonder if OP is a he. The excessive fear made me wonder if it might not be a she. Or if in California, a tulip.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
... What sign do we have that he is not paying the required "rent" to the city/state/county?
I think the fact that he's worried he'll be run off "his" property is kind of a clue. Not paying for water may be another. Not knowing exactly what the "drain" is he's using for his black water might be yet another.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
following for my own curiosity
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
OP is posted as a person one spook away from a tin foil hat. Be careful.