Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Camping on my lot against zoning law
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping on my lot against zoning law

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
horizons196

Private land

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greetings I’m new to the forum and enjoying it alot, however I can’t find an answer anywhere. What will happen to me when cops say I can’t live here. It’s on my lot in a small town of 10k. There’s No house, just a garage with electric. Ive lived in this camper in plain view for 5 months now. I park in the driveway, fill the tank with my neighbors hose and empty the septic in my drain with no complaints. it’s great so far, just not zoned for camper living. Will I get a fine, ordinance violation, or just a warning? How long would I have to leave? I’m so worried I’ve buried my power line and sealed my windows.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well this "discussion" is going to be pretty worthless.

Not knowing WHAT small town or county you live IN......nobody will be able to give you a good answer.

I suggest that you contact the municipal or county zoning office......and don't put much stock in ANY answer you get here.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

cekkk

Southern Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, calm down. Pay a visit to the code enforcement office of your town or county. Ask your questions calmly so you don't upset them. Often yelling at employees of such departments is a crime. They may have a suggestion or they may not, but your post indicates you are not handling this well. Good luck and let us know how things go.

There is a better place to post this. Look for a general discussion forum in the list. This one is for technical questions about the entire website.

'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You dont say where you are located, some areas have strict rules, some are pretty lax.
Can you run water and sewer to a small bathroom in your garage? That may alleviate the problem since you could claim you are using the facilities in the garage. And it would help you as well since you could tap them for your trailer.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you would get a better, more accurate answer, by taking cekkk's advice.

Now, I get it, you don't want to highlight yourself. But, asking someone on the internet, without even disclosing where you are at, is not going to yield an accurate answer. I would be willing to bet that, in a town of 10K, likely there is NO ONE, who lives where you live, so any answer you get is pure speculation.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Lwiddis

Bishop, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you switched places with your neighbors would you be happy with the situation? I wouldn’t like what you are doing at all. There is no free lunch. Your neighbor is paying for your water. Time to make your own way. Most cities have a sewer fee. Because there is no house on your property doesn’t entitle you free sewers. The citizens of your town are subsidizing you on the sewer issue.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't locate behind the garage? Make yourself invisible?

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Zoning laws are specific to towns and cities. The only way to get a sure answer is to check with your local officials. It sounds like you suspect what you're doing is against zoning laws. If it were me, I'd see if I could get the camper out of sight to whatever extent possible and not draw attention to yourself. If/when you're contacted by the authorities, deal with it then.

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have already been there for five months, I'd say you don't have anything to worry about.
If the code enforcement does come calling, you will "probably" get a warning and be told to move. Deal with it then.
I would not go to the city and ask if it's OK. Why wake somebody up.

riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't poke the bear. Sure way to be moving. Depends on the neighborhood, but if no complaints from neighbors you may be ok, not legal but ok. You can always research penalties online or in person, they are public records, or ask an attorney.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping on my lot against zoning law
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS