Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rails vs pucks vs gooseneck mount

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

The plan is for a new truck within the next 6 months and one of the things I am stuck on is the fifth wheel hitch.

Currently I have a B&W Patriot slider, I have the slider mainly because it gives me better clearance between the truck bed sides/tailgate and the fifth when as I have it in the maneuvering position as I back it down the hill to our barn. I have about 5-6 inches clearance to keep the rig pretty level.

I have the bed rails now and they don't really bother me in the bed for what I do with my truck. Once I put the hitch in the spring it stays till end of the season. I have trailers I use most of the time anyway.
So I am wondering:

1. Forget the pucks system, go rail again and keep the hitch I have. Least costly option

2. Get the puck, sell the Patriot and buy OEM Companion Slider. Down side is I may have to sell it or the base someday with a new truck. I wish pucks were universal

3. Get the puck system and get a gooseneck mount Companion that I can keep no matter the future truck.

4. I realize there are puck adapter kits but not sure this is something I want as they likely would raise the hitch which I do not want. It's in its lowest setting currently, I do have one hole left to raise my pin box if need be however. It's also a second connecting point (not direct)for the hitch which seems like a potential for accumulative slop.

5. ?? (Your ideas ๐Ÿ™‚

Anybody here have a late model truck but said screw the pucks? I realize I may be overthinking this but am curious on your thoughts.

Thanks everyone.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
15 REPLIES 15

Big1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the same as you GBuilder, on my new ram I have the puck system and order the base B&W Companion hitch now I just need to sell my base of my B&W Slider. I can't comment on how it tow because I haven't tow with it yet but I did hook it up and it felt solid.
2022 Ram Laramie 3500 6.7L CTD CCLB
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

GBuilders
Explorer
Explorer
I had the 14 Ram with the puck system and Companion hitch. When i bought my 19 Ford F-250 I made sure it has the puck system. Iโ€™ve had rails and picks and the Puck with the B&W is hands down the best setup. Like others have said it eliminates the slack and on the Ram B&W I didnโ€™t need a slide with my shortened because you set it behind the axle for more clearance.
2005 Jayco Eagle 305 BHS 5th wheel

New truck: 2019 Ford F-250 power stroke platinum 4x4

Former truck: 2014 Ram Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4 6.7/Aisin 6 speed 3:73

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
If I had it to do over I would go straight to the Goosebox. Get the OEM prep for the gooseneck ball hole.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your replies so far. For those of you who are using the adapter plates, have you notice any extra slop with the multiple connections?

I measured a 2020 Chevy 2500 the other day and the bedside or tailgate height is within an 1 inch or less of my current truck which is good. Bed height should be close as well because I believe the wall heights are the same. Not sure I really want to add any hieght with the adapter though.

I thinking the Companion non slider puck would be the most solid connection. Not really interested in the Anderson style . I just need to do some calculating and measuring to see how level and if I can pull it up the hill without contact with the tailgate, hence the real reason I have a slider. Next tonneau cover will be a flush roll up or quad fold and that will save me 1.5" over what I have with my current top mount cover.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2018 GMC last July with the puck system and added a Demco adapter plate. It only raises the height of the hitch a 1/2 inch.

So far it has worked well and was cheaper than purchasing a new hitch.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sell what you have and buy the B&W puck hitch. Went from 18k Companion on 11 DRW RAM to Puck on 15 DRW RAM.
B&W's are easy to sell, sold mine first day.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see:
- You like your current hitch which mounts on rails.
- Rails in the bed of your truck don't bother you.
- Rails are the least expensive option.

I'd go with rails.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hammerboy,Here is some food for thought, your case may be different.

We moved from a 2001 Ram 2500 CTD to a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW CTD, difference in bumper height was about 1" taller 3500.

I got the Reese puck adapter for our existing Reese hitch, it added 2" to height of hitch from bed floor. that said the bed floor to top of rail is about 1-3/4" taller on the new Ram, so all came out about the same.

So once hitched up both setups look about the same.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I went with a Reese puck adapter for my Trailer Saver BD3. It raises the heighth of the hitch 3 3/8", way more than I expected. Thankfully I was able to lower the hitch a couple of holes but it still sets slightly nose high. Demco makes an adapter that adds less than 2" but it is heavy and a little pricey. Also, the new trucks may sit somewhat higher than your current truck but that could be verified.

I had a B&W Companion that used the gooseneck hook up. It worked fine except it did dent my bed slightly. If I remember right it needed some shims in the slots on the bed floor. I had bed rails on my last truck and no problem with them.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my patriot that I had for my Ford and got the puck version for my RAM when I changed trucks. Stronger hitch and the pucks have no slop like you can have with rails. Can't go wrong either way. But, it's nice having a factory ready option including 7 way in the bed.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have used B&W hitches since about 2005. I really like the puck system. I sometimes get a new hitch when I buy a new truck. Selling a used B&W has been no problem for me.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, I'd go w/ new B&W rails and keep current hitch. Can't see getting a new hitch or set up when you already have one and are not concerned about the rails when no hitch in truck. Yes there is an adapter that allows use of a puck system for rail hitches, but it also raises nose of 5er up more. I admit, I'm not familiar w/the B&W Gooseneck ball set up, but again, you'd have to buy another set-up/adapter and all. So FWIW, I'd keep the Patriot and get new rails (which are not all the same heft.....B&W's are beefy VS Reese).
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
If buying new get the puck system, cost is about the same as a B&W turn over ball. It gives you more options.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

When I recently purchased my new truck I decided to do away with the 5er hitch and go with a Reese Goose Box. I like that the Goose Box has it has air bag and shocks in it. Nice part is I now have a clean bed with goose neck ball that is easily removed if needed.

Reese Goose Box

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€™
Chiefneon