cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Dist Hitch

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, just asking for a friend, He just retired and bought a new 3/4 ton Dodge Ram diesel and a new 37' heavy travel trailer. The truck has a 2 1/2 inch receiver hitch, the trailer dealer installed a sleeve to accept a 2 inch shank on the weight distributing hitch. Looking at it, it, the sleeve seems to add enough play to cause the hitch tilt downward some....just doesn't look right to me and I know they make 2 1/2" shanks so as to not defeat the purpose of the 2 1/2"receiver hitch. Trailer weight is in the 10,000-11,000 range.

Just wondering about the consensus on this, whether it really matters?
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)
6 REPLIES 6

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I would not trust the sleeve. I have heard several issues from slop to worn pin holes. Just get the 2/5" drop shank.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I've been thinking too. For peace of mind would be reason enough for me. Also, as I recall, he did say he paid 20 bucks for the 2" sleeve...mmm? Thank You all...
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that the adapter should be OK. But for the size and weight of the trailer plus price of a 2 1/2โ€ draw bar I would just get the new 2 1/2โ€ draw bar.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Equal-i-zer/EQ90-02-4900.html

This is the one I bought for my set up to get rid of the size-down-bushing
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2016 Ram has a 2 1/2 hitch with an adaptor---there is some slop with the hitch installed. It seem a bit "jerry rigged" but works fine.

LibertyMan
Explorer
Explorer
If he bought the truck new, the truck should have come with the 2 inch sleeve so his 2 1/2 inch receiver can accept a 2 inch shank. So, I hope he did not have to pay for that. Anyways, I have near the same set-up and did not like the slop so I bought a hitch with a 2 1/2 inch shank. If nothing else, for peace of mind. As far as the slight downward tilt, that should be right. So when the trailer is placed on the hitch and raised up to attach the distribution bars, the trailer is lowered back down for a level set-up to include the hitch head itself. There should be some type of adjustment on the distribution hitch head so a level set-up can be achieved once the trailer it attached and bars in place.
If the trailer is attached and distribution bars are in place and the hitch head has a downward tilt, he needs to do some adjustment.
2019 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch