cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12V Power

tersct
Explorer
Explorer
My 5th wheel does not power off of my vehicle when connected to it. A couple of times after it has set for a period of time, with no power connected to it, the 12V battery needs an assist to get the front jacks to raise for movement. This usually happens when I leave it at a dealership for repair work. When this happens they have had to use a battery pack (?) to raise the jacks. Who can tell me what type of pack they are using? Is it just a rechargeable battery pack or is it something else? Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
PNW_Steve wrote:
Now I am curious....

I am aware of the designation of one of the pins on the 7 pin connector is 12v supply.

I assumed that it was not used as none of the truck/trailer combos that I have owned have charged the trailer from the truck charging system.

How common is it to have that feature from the factory?
If you have a factory 7-pin trailer connector then you have the feature.

May need a fuse or relay installed in the fuse box to use the feature. Owners manual has details.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It depends on how the trailers are wired.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
PNW_Steve wrote:
Now I am curious....

I am aware of the designation of one of the pins on the 7 pin connector is 12v supply.

I assumed that it was not used as none of the truck/trailer combos that I have owned have charged the trailer from the truck charging system.

I've never heard of that, except for small utility trailers that have brakes. They have a separate breakaway battery that has to be charged by itself. Every camp trailer I've ever heard of has a charger that charges the house battery while towing. One of the selling points of our 30' PJ flatbed was that it =did= have an on-board charger, but we also have a hydraulic dove tail with a full-size battery to power it. If you have a factory-installed trailering package, then everything should already be ready to go, including the hot 12v power connector.

FWIW, we have several PulseTech 10-12w solar chargers on our equipment and I use one on my FW. I was very pleasantly surprised that my batteries were still full of electrolyte and fully charged after sitting for 6 months.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
PNW:
Very common! The difference is whether the particular truck requires a wire to be terminated, fuse installed or hot from the factory.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Terryallan wrote:
tersct wrote:
My 5th wheel does not power off of my vehicle when connected to it. A couple of times after it has set for a period of time, with no power connected to it, the 12V battery needs an assist to get the front jacks to raise for movement. This usually happens when I leave it at a dealership for repair work. When this happens they have had to use a battery pack (?) to raise the jacks. Who can tell me what type of pack they are using? Is it just a rechargeable battery pack or is it something else? Thanks.

What vehicle do toy tow with. "Most" need a relay installed to charge the trailer. and then will only charge the trailer when the ignition switch is on / motor running.

If you have a factory towing package, then that relay should be present. Ford and Dodge don't have a hot power connector with the key off; GM does.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
tersct wrote:

From my experience:

Jacks and, usually, slides are directly connected to the battery and bypass any battery disconnect.

If you're not getting charge from your truck when running, then you likely have a battery disconnect that's OFF. I found this out the hard way with my old Komfort, so now make sure my disconnect is ON when towing. If you have a Ford or Dodge, the charge connector won't work with the key off. GM's plug is always hot, even with the key off.

Lousy dealer that's either not plugging your rig in or not using the disconnect, letting your batteries go flat. They do you NO favors and are killing your batteries by doing so. Make it absolutely CLEAR to them that they are to either plug your rig =properly=, i.e. with the disconnect ON (won't charge otherwise, as I personally found out), or to turn the disconnect OFF when it's not being worked on or plugged in. Tell them that they'll be giving you new batteries if they keep killing them.

There is parasitic draw (smoke, gas sensors, stereo, TV) on your batteries that will kill them in just a couple weeks if you don't have a disconnect. Be willing to bet that all but the cheapest rigs built in the past 5 years have factory disconnects.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Now I am curious....

2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

salem
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say what type of tow vehicle, or if you did I missed it. On some trucks, such as my Chevy, the company installs a dummy fuse in the fuse box. The big fuse box under the hood up by the firewall. You have to take out that fuse and install the one that comes with it. Not sure why they do this, but that's the way it was on my '05. Worth taking a look at.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
1st have the battery load tested.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a perfect reason to consider a Solar Panel or two ..

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
tersct wrote:

What vehicle do toy tow with. "Most" need a relay installed to charge the trailer. and then will only charge the trailer when the ignition switch is on / motor running.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
How do you know the truck does not charge the 12v trailer battery? Get that fixed while at the dealer.

Detectors and some electronics will run your battery down when not connected to a power source. This is normal and common. You need to disconnect a battery terminal or install a switch to prevent this from happening. Typical for a dealer to let the battery go dead and sell you a new battery sooner than later. Overly discharging a battery as you describe will permanently reduce capacity and shorten the battery life.

Dealer may use a jump box direct on the battery or just a common shop battery wheeled around with jump cables just to temporarily operate the 12v systems for the fix or get you off the lot.

The 12 Volt Side of Life

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Solar! Repeated deep discharges from use or “just sitting” without full daily recharging are battery murder.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It could be something like this Battery pack
Some shops use a large battery fixed to a hand truck.
I carry one of the battery packs in each of my vehicles for winter use and on the road for emergencies. Not only for me, but for others that have difficulties. Harbor Freight quite often have them for less then $40.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow