Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 12V Power
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 12V Power

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
tersct

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 5th wheel does not power off of my vehicle when connected to it. A couple of times after it has set for a period of time, with no power connected to it, the 12V battery needs an assist to get the front jacks to raise for movement. This usually happens when I leave it at a dealership for repair work. When this happens they have had to use a battery pack (?) to raise the jacks. Who can tell me what type of pack they are using? Is it just a rechargeable battery pack or is it something else? Thanks.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know.. another battery? Sounds like you should be disconnecting your battery when sitting.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It could be something like this Battery pack
Some shops use a large battery fixed to a hand truck.
I carry one of the battery packs in each of my vehicles for winter use and on the road for emergencies. Not only for me, but for others that have difficulties. Harbor Freight quite often have them for less then $40.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis

Bishop, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solar! Repeated deep discharges from use or “just sitting” without full daily recharging are battery murder.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do you know the truck does not charge the 12v trailer battery? Get that fixed while at the dealer.

Detectors and some electronics will run your battery down when not connected to a power source. This is normal and common. You need to disconnect a battery terminal or install a switch to prevent this from happening. Typical for a dealer to let the battery go dead and sell you a new battery sooner than later. Overly discharging a battery as you describe will permanently reduce capacity and shorten the battery life.

Dealer may use a jump box direct on the battery or just a common shop battery wheeled around with jump cables just to temporarily operate the 12v systems for the fix or get you off the lot.

The 12 Volt Side of Life

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tersct wrote:

My 5th wheel does not power off of my vehicle when connected to it. A couple of times after it has set for a period of time, with no power connected to it, the 12V battery needs an assist to get the front jacks to raise for movement. This usually happens when I leave it at a dealership for repair work. When this happens they have had to use a battery pack (?) to raise the jacks. Who can tell me what type of pack they are using? Is it just a rechargeable battery pack or is it something else? Thanks.

What vehicle do toy tow with. "Most" need a relay installed to charge the trailer. and then will only charge the trailer when the ignition switch is on / motor running.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

stufarmer

Tampa Fla.

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a perfect reason to consider a Solar Panel or two ..

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1st have the battery load tested.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

salem

Central Valley, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You didn't say what type of tow vehicle, or if you did I missed it. On some trucks, such as my Chevy, the company installs a dummy fuse in the fuse box. The big fuse box under the hood up by the firewall. You have to take out that fuse and install the one that comes with it. Not sure why they do this, but that's the way it was on my '05. Worth taking a look at.

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now I am curious....

I am aware of the designation of one of the pins on the 7 pin connector is 12v supply.

I assumed that it was not used as none of the truck/trailer combos that I have owned have charged the trailer from the truck charging system.

How common is it to have that feature from the factory?

2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 12V Power
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS