Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Shore works ATS in and out on Gen power
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Shore works ATS in and out on Gen power

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Juddla

South

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It drops out then slowly builds back up within 5-10 seconds.

Bikeboy57

Inverness, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tend to agree that you have a generator issue. Especially since the ATS was replaced and the behavior did not change. I would disconnect the gen leads at the ATS and measure the voltage behavior on the disconnected leads. That will take
The ATS out of the equation. If the voltage is varying at the disconnect leads, then measure at the junction box located at the gennie

Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

Juddla

South

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bikeboy57 wrote:

I tend to agree that you have a generator issue. Especially since the ATS was replaced and the behavior did not change. I would disconnect the gen leads at the ATS and measure the voltage behavior on the disconnected leads. That will take
The ATS out of the equation. If the voltage is varying at the disconnect leads, then measure at the junction box located at the gennie

Tested at junction box- 120.3,120.5
Made connections moved to ATS
Tested at ATS Genny wires only 120.4,120.3

Hooked wires back into ATS fired genny measured at lugs
120, 119.3
Clunk volts keep dropping until 65,- 70 then clunk and they build again, until ATS is satisfied and it opens again...repeats....

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it did not drop out at junction box then there is issue betyween there and the transfer switch.
Do you have an enrgy management system?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Juddla

South

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

If it did not drop out at junction box then there is issue betyween there and the transfer switch.
Do you have an enrgy management system?

Sir, I have no idea how there could be issue. I got same voltage at junction box off genny as stand alone then hooked wires up at junction box and got same voltage at ends that go into Transfer switch before hooking into switch, then hooked into ATS. AtS opens with correct voltage then voltage drops quickly and switch cuts out and volts build again and switch opens again this continues back and forth.

I’m not understanding how I would have issue between junction box and switch when I tested as stated above and had correct voltage?

I called Progressive Dynamics and asked for another switch which they are sending to me tomorrow. I have to assume this will happen again, so is there any chance the genny feels load and cant sustain 120 per Hot lines?

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it directly between the two it is possible that there is a bad wire.
You could try testing the wires. If flexible conduit is metallic, take wires loose from genset and connect them to the metal portion of the conduit. Go to transfer switch end, measure resistance on each conductor to the metal portio. All wires should read the same.
Energy management system?

Juddla

South

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

If it directly between the two it is possible that there is a bad wire.
You could try testing the wires. If flexible conduit is metallic, take wires loose from genset and connect them to the metal portion of the conduit. Go to transfer switch end, measure resistance on each conductor to the metal portio. All wires should read the same.
Energy management system?

Conduit is plastic not metallic. I could run to Lowes and buy 20foot and run new wire is suppose but a lot of money for testing approach.

Juddla

South

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry no energy mgmt system.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before getting new wire, do a load test with short wire to see if genset will hold. Carefully wire a female cord body onto the genset output. Plug some device into it and see what happens.
You could test conductivity by using vehicle frame.

Juddla

South

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just so I’m clear. Nip wife’s hair dryer end off. Direct hot to gender wire and other to ground off frame. Ok Bud.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Shore works ATS in and out on Gen power
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS