cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Financing for used toy hauler.

jmbstudios
Explorer
Explorer
Found a used toy hauler and need suggestions or recommendations for some good finance companies. Low rates, good to deal with, etc
Cant afford a new rig and the one I found is like new condition (2016) and will need to finance.

Any advice from the RV family here?
2019 F250 Lariat FX4
2018 Genesis Supreme 32CR
PRS and Taylor Guitars
11 REPLIES 11

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our Ragen in 2013, we actually used the equity in our paid off truck (new loan) to get a really good rate.
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
USAA will finance the book value of the rig, but not a penny more.

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
If buying from a dealer, it's always best to have an idea of what you are approved for before you step in the door. Then let them know you have acquired your own financing but willing to use their bank if they have better rates. The dealer was telling me up front their rates were 6.25%. I let them know my CU was 5.2%. Then all of a sudden the dealer was offering 5.2% too.

My first rig I bought not knowing what I was approved for...hoping my CU was less than the dealers. Thankfully it was.

Y-Guy
Keep in mind the kick back that dealers get for financing. I've heard that some push back very hard if you get your own financing, or the deal you had is based on their financing. With that kick back use that to negotiate.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience, local CU seem to have the most aggressive rates unless you can beat the dealer up to match.

I am buying new and my local CU is the same as the dealers bank this time. Both are ~5.2% on a new rig ($40K loan). I am hoping that rates drop a bit by the time it comes in or I may just take out of savings. My last RV loan in 2015 with the CU was 4.25% (albeit a lot less $) and the dealer bank wanted close to 6%. Crazy rates for the amount of financing on these bigger rigs.

jmbstudios
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your responses.
I have talked with the local credit union. I have also googled it.

But in thought I would also ask here because many of you may have better experiences with finance companies other than local CU.

No better reviews than asking existing customers.
2019 F250 Lariat FX4
2018 Genesis Supreme 32CR
PRS and Taylor Guitars

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We did a refinance loan to improve the interest rate on our old trailer with Essex. Basically the same as doing a used trailer loan.

USAA usually does pretty good w/ RV loans if you're a veteran. We couldn't do one as we are just family of a veteran even though we have accounts there.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Essex Credit
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on you credit rating and your choice of loan. You could do an eqiuty loan through your home. Or a personnal loan as said go to your bank.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Y-Guy
jmbstudios, you can google RV financing for some suggestions, as already suggested check with your local Credit Union first. I know Bank of the West used to be a big RV lender, but I'm not sure if they are still or not.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your credit union? Your local bank? If purchasing from a dealer, what do they suggest?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad