cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulling the trigger...

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
So after stalking this forum for a while, my wife and I have decided to pull the trigger to start our full time adventure by ordering a new Tiffin 33aa for Spring delivery. We are old time sailors and sold our boat to accommodate our new retirement lifestyle of RVing full time for a while. House is getting cleaned up for sale and here we go. We are too busy until the Spring to really learn everything that has to be done/learned. Hope our sailing experience with all the related systems will help. Starting in the Spring will let us acclimate to the coach and shake out the unit. Anyway, with the big RV show in Hershey coming up, is there anything that we should be looking at due to great deals or selection? Our salesperson said he can get us the same price we see at the show on the coach when we order it. He suggested ordering it in October and with the factory backlog form the show, it will be delivered around March which is perfect for us.
Let me know if the big RV show has opportunity to save some $$ on related supplies and stuff. Also looking at hooking up Grand Cherokee as toad, so will need hook up.
Appreciate the input
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee
13 REPLIES 13

Jennifer_Koper
Explorer
Explorer
So, far i think including the Gulf area of all the states not possible. As it's a big job.

but i appreciated to do the same.

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Hershey is a great show to view all the different gasser Model A's. Recommend going Weds and Thurs because the weekend is very busy. Pick out the model and floor plan you like and suggest bidding it out to 4-5 dealers. Don't need to buy from the local dealer because you'll be full timing. Also start thinking where you're going to setup your domicile/mailing.
If you're handy you could set up the Grand Cherokee for towing yourself. There's excellent Grand Cherokee specific videos to help you through baseplate and wiring installations. We picked the towbar below which is a reasonable price option to set up for towing and braking vs other avenues.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
David,

Do you know what the big difference is be RV and a Boat???

Water can leak out of an RV......

Anchoring out becomes dry camping.
Gunkholing is call Boondocking
A slip is called a space and is still expensive.
Your holding tank is now a Black and/or Gray tank.
Pump out is now a dump, find them were you can.
Potable water is still a serious issue.
Shore power comes in 23,30 & 50 and the plugs are not twist lock.
If you were sailors, fuel will now be a lot more, but if you just sold a power boat, the fuel will be less.
Keep paper maps for the same reason you used to keep real charts.
You should still maintain written maintenance and voyage logs.

Matt - an East coast watermen now a refugee of the megopolis
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
thebrain wrote:
david1601 wrote:
I will try to answer your question. We ordered a new Tiffin 34PA last year at a show some 300 miles from home. We had figured out exactly what we wanted in an RV and decided on this model after spending more than a year looking at every model and maker.
Once we determined the exact make and model we visited almost every dealer in the southeast talking and looking and getting a price. So, I had a price in my head of what I wanted to pay and after going to at least four different shows over the course of 6 months I found dealer who gave me a price that was lower than my number so we placed the order.
Prices did not vary much between dealers but they did vary. Also the taxes vary depending on where you buy the unit. Check that out.
All-in-all you will love the Tiffin for the style, comfort and service. Good luck with your new adventures. And I would do the same thing again. Buy new that is. We retired this year and are traveling extensively.
are you RVing the Gulf?

We live very near the Gulf. But we frequently visit many of the campground, state parks and COE all along the Gulf of Mexico.
2018 Tiffin 34PA
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailblazer

David & Ellen
Foley AL

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
We certainly hope to see all the states including the Gulf area. Unsure of our pace, but we expect to go for at least 1-2 years and see how it goes. The idea is no agenda...until we have one.
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
david1601 wrote:
I will try to answer your question. We ordered a new Tiffin 34PA last year at a show some 300 miles from home. We had figured out exactly what we wanted in an RV and decided on this model after spending more than a year looking at every model and maker.
Once we determined the exact make and model we visited almost every dealer in the southeast talking and looking and getting a price. So, I had a price in my head of what I wanted to pay and after going to at least four different shows over the course of 6 months I found dealer who gave me a price that was lower than my number so we placed the order.
Prices did not vary much between dealers but they did vary. Also the taxes vary depending on where you buy the unit. Check that out.
All-in-all you will love the Tiffin for the style, comfort and service. Good luck with your new adventures. And I would do the same thing again. Buy new that is. We retired this year and are traveling extensively.
are you RVing the Gulf?

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks for the replies. We do understand the financial downside of buying new and the associated depreciation, but have weighed it against the need for local high quality service. We hope we are not disappointed. Also many things will break, for AC units, to refrigerators etc., but think it will lessen the "learning curve" to a manageable level. We will have the coach from about April until the end of the year before heading out full time.

Again, thanks for the input.
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Tiffin 34PA
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailblazer

David & Ellen
Foley AL

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I agree not to buy new as first RV
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I think it takes a year to shake out all the bugs for any RV. Had my.5er almost a year now and spending almost full time in it if not at a campground, at home in driveway. Been on the road with this trailer more than any other and still learning, all on preparation for full timing in 21 months.

Just saying, I suggest you get the camper a few months before hitting the road full time so you have time and work space at home to change, modify, and add things to the camper. And there will be many

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a fellow former boater I can assure you that the transition to RV'ing will be an easy one. The plumbing, electrical etc. are all about the same and perhaps... a little cheaper.

I would not recommend buying new, especially at a show. You will pay far too much for what in all probability will not be your last coach. You will lose 35 - 40 percent when you dirve that new rig off of the showroom floor.

There are lots of great deals out there to be had on lightly used units. Go to the show {but leave your checkbook at home... seriously!} Find what you like, floorplans are critical and then go steal one on the used market, NOT from an RV dealer.

You will have a far better chance of getting what you want/need the first time and will save more money than you can imagine. In some states like Arizona, there is no sales tax on private party sales. Best of luck and if you would like a little more info from a fellow former boater {40 years} feel free to send me a PM.

:C

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The length of your new RV could be dictated by where you want to camp....private RV resorts? USFS/BLM? Boondocking? State parks? The longer you go, the fewer number of available camps.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! That’s great! Have many wonderful trips!
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"