cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED's for marker lights

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Want to replace standard bulb with LED's on the exterior marker lights on top/sides of my 2003 Ford Fourwinds and pulled bulb out but nothing to identify it. Just basic push-in clear bulb. Lens cover is Bargman 59 if that helps.
18 REPLIES 18

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't pull up the links, however, MOST important part is to make sure you sealed them up completely with generous amounts of caulk....especially the hole in the middle where the wires come through the roof into the light. This is the entry point for most water imho. As mentioned above, I used a 1.5" x 2" piece of Eternalbond tape to cover the 1" drill hole from manufacturer and ran wires through a very small slit (even caulked that after wiring). Filled the pass thru hole in the light mount as well. Then, good bead of caulk around the exterior of the light fixtures. If you can, inspect your work several times a year and absolutely remove upper bunk mattress and look for any moisture.....this is the true test. Driving in a good rain can and will find even the smallest gap. Good luck!

Munk888
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought my first RV! (First post). Disclaimer: I'm a noob. However, the used 2003 Fleetwood Tioga my wife and I picked up has a lot of cracked or out marker lights. I just replaced the first one tonight! These seem to work!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14x-RED-AMBER-4-Led-Clearance-marker-Trailer-RV-Light-6-Diodes-surface-mount/371785590120?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Used these to connect.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-14-16-Gauge-Blue-AWG-Heat-Shrink-Butt-Wire-Connectors-Crimp-Terminals-US/173938372538?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replacing my top markers with replacement LED units from Etrailer. Going to put liberal amounts of flexible sealant around the base of the unit as well as the small hole where wires go through the mounting plate, then going to use clear sealant around the lens cover just for added measure. Seems most of the water penetration happens when the lens crack from debris or weathering and water is pushed through this wiring hole. One could also use a cut-to-fit piece of EternalBond tape around the large opening for the wire leading into the RV and provide a small hole just big enough for the small wires to pass thru. This would provide an extra barrier to stop the majority of major water intrusion. Again, there is no permanent solution.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all the marker lights on our Class A. I bought two sets of 10 from Amazon for $7.99/10ea.

Source: https://amzn.to/2HmLa3c

These received a 4.5/5 rating from customers. I really like them!
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know where to buy 12v LED marker light assemblies. What comes to mind is replacing the incandescent bulbs inside your existing lenses with LED bulbs.

Concerning leaking lenses, on our first motor home, I gooped a massive amount of conventional outdoor silicone caulk behind each lens (focused around the hole for the wires) then immediately screwed down the lens, then wiped off the ooze. I never had a leak again through any of them.

Our rig today, the PC factory seals each lens around the outside. So far, that seems to work.

So there you have two different methods to consider on top of the others.

One thing seems to be unreliable, are the gaskets that come with some lenses. I would toss them.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

Now ... how does one mount them so water never leaks around the light's perimeter back into the cabover's front wall interior ... without having to ever check them ... because they're so hard to get at?

I don't see how that's feasible. The wires have to pass through the exterior of the motorhome somewhere. It's going to come down to a sealant of some kind, which really ought to be checked every once in a while to be safe.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
fourthclassC wrote:
Check this out:

Grote.com

Thanks a lot for the link. They offer round orange LED clearance lights.

Now ... how does one mount them so water never leaks around the light's perimeter back into the cabover's front wall interior ... without having to ever check them ... because they're so hard to get at?

I disabled (by no longer having their wires connected to 12V interior wiring) my stock front clearance lights and resealing them against the cabover's exterior wall surface using Eternabond, which I believe has a service life of 15 years on up.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Check this out:

Grote.com

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:
Since we are discussing the change to LED lighting, many of you may find my LED project interesting. CLICK HERE to read my post which includes many pictures.

Ron ... do you know where I can buy five(5) round, orange-lensed, exact same diameter, LED bulb-based, entire replacement assemblies for my Class C's overhead cab exterior marker lights?

I disconnected mine years ago so they could never leak, but may finally replace them with LED assemblies if, and only if, I can figure out how to mount them so that they require no maintenance while at the same time insuring that they will never ever leak water down into the cabover bed area's bottom floor. ๐Ÿ˜‰

(P.S. My "no maintenance" requirement is because they're so hard to get to ... to do anything to ... including reseal periodically.)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Since we are discussing the change to LED lighting, many of you may find my LED project interesting. CLICK HERE to read my post which includes many pictures.

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
I changed all mine to new lens/lamp assemblies from GROTE. They look so good that some times at night, I just turn them on and look at them .......

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Changed to these years ago from e trailer

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
i also bought new LED marker lights on sale at a local auto store called Princess Auto for 2 or 3 dollars. Easy to install and I think they are more waterproof.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I replaced all of marker lights and tail light assemblies with complete LED units. I got them from etrailer and they worked great. I did however find that some of my marker lights were wired backwards and I had to correct that. My new lights were many times brighter than the originals. I was very happy with the small cash investment and a couple hours of my time installing them.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired