Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Keeping fridge cool in high 90s temps
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Keeping fridge cool in high 90s temps

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do know one thing for certain, this winter during the off season, my ammonia fridge (Dometic) is coming out out of the truck camper and a Dometic Cool Box is going in, in it's place.

No more propane or 110 volt heating elements for me. Just a 40 watt (at maximum duty cycle) 12 / 110 volt Waeco Compressor fridge.

The ammonia fridge is 2 years old and it's never worked for beans despite me adding extra insulation (almost a full roll of unfaced around the fridge, fabbing up a deflector plate for the top and added 2 computer fans to circulate the air. Tired of fiddling with it. It's going on Craigs list and being replaced with a real fridge. Might work for the Amish but for this gentile, a compressor fridge is the only way to cool.

I'm done.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

wantabe351

Parsippany,NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

living in NJ and traveling a few of the area Nascar tracks your in the open field and the afternoon sun always was on my Frig side... So I ordered 2x 3" computer fans and 2x 4" computer fans..and the reflective bubble stuff for windows from camping world, I install one of the 4" fans inside the lower panel outside the RV,pushing air up..the 2nd fan pulling the air up and out the upper vent..all connected to the 12v power feed to the frig by the lower vent with a switch coming out of the lower vent to control the 2x-4"fans..then using the reflective bubble stuff made and panel that when between the upper and lower vents and attached it with small S-hooks from a hardware store....The 3" Fans I installed inside my frig and you need to get power from the back of the frig in the lower vent panel and feed the wires to the inside by way of the inside drain tube from the coils inside the frig..With a switch inside the Frig to control the 3" fans, one was pointed to the cooling coils and the other on the upper shelf pointed down to move the cool air...Taking your time about 3hrs..once done I now have Rock hard ice cream and a 40* frig Temp..On a trip out west we experienced 100* temps and frig stayed cold...the wires used can be a 18awg or even smaller for fans only draw [email protected] each...My wife just loves it now nothing spoils our beers are ice cold..

Rich & Andrea

05 dodge 3500HD DRW quadcab,ctd610,auto,4:10,Tow pkg,susp-upgraded+airbags,Smarty module,Water/Meth injection,2ndfueltank,gauges.
2011Montana 3400rl,5kGen,4-6v,inverter,W/D,solarpower,

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it is really, really hot we use an ice chest for drinks to minimize frig door opening.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a small ice chest on every trip with drinks on ice. On longer trips I put a large cooler in the basement also filled with drinks/ice. We have an ice maker to replenish the ice. This all works well for us. And ice cream stays hard enough in our Domestic freezer but still scoopable. Fridge has worked well for us- knock on wood!

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you have the fridge packed. An RV fridge needs interior air circulation especially around the fins. Is it on the highest cooling setting? Is it in the slide, or is it vented through the roof?

Get a battery powered recirculating fan, then get some blue ice blocks and put them in the bottom. Read the manual to ensure you have it on the coolest setting.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Keeping fridge cool in high 90s temps
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS