cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood Water Heater Question

jbrack
Explorer
Explorer
I was recently at an RV park that had power but no park water. I was operation off my fresh water holding tank which according to the gauge had over 1/3 of a tank. The gauge was apparently inaccurate and I ran the system dry while washing dishes. I inadvertently did not shut off the electric heater switch for an extended period of time. Now my water does not heat and I believe I burned out the heating element due to lack of water in the tank. I thought I would simply switch over to propane to heat water but it will not fire up. It doesn't even click and attempt to light. My question: Are the two heating methods not separate from each other? Would burning out my electric heating element affect the ability of the propane heater to operate?
3 REPLIES 3

jbrack
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Since 2004 Atwood combo WHs use common DC to control both electric & propane heating functions
Running out of water in fresh water tank would NOT empty the WH Tank....

Common DC from a FUSED source goes to Both On/OFF switches then to the common circuit board
Did the RED Fault Light come on?

*Check the DC Dist Panel Fuse that supplies WH with DC...
*Check the 2A DC fuse ON the WH Circuit Board
*Check the 'thermal fuse' (in the clear tubing) that is connected to T-stat via Brwon Wire (Remove from circuit abd plug brown wire directly onto T-stat to test if WH will come on (One shot thermal fuse)

Those items are common and would prevent either heat source from functioning

Use a Voltmeter to follow the DC...........

No 'resets' on WH except for Fault Light/Lock out (turn On/Off switch OFF---wait 30 sec---turn ON)

You Sir...are a genius....it was the 2 amp fuse on the circuit boarx...back in service

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Since 2004 Atwood combo WHs use common DC to control both electric & propane heating functions
Running out of water in fresh water tank would NOT empty the WH Tank....

Common DC from a FUSED source goes to Both On/OFF switches then to the common circuit board
Did the RED Fault Light come on?

*Check the DC Dist Panel Fuse that supplies WH with DC...
*Check the 2A DC fuse ON the WH Circuit Board
*Check the 'thermal fuse' (in the clear tubing) that is connected to T-stat via Brwon Wire (Remove from circuit abd plug brown wire directly onto T-stat to test if WH will come on (One shot thermal fuse)

Those items are common and would prevent either heat source from functioning

Use a Voltmeter to follow the DC...........

No 'resets' on WH except for Fault Light/Lock out (turn On/Off switch OFF---wait 30 sec---turn ON)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Something is missing here, did you drain the water tank? I don't think running the fresh water tank empty, would drain the water heater. The pump would just suck air, not pump out the water heater.

IIRC, the Atwood heaters share a reset electric/gas.

Jerry