Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Level on sloped campsites. How? Unique to 5er's
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Level on sloped campsites. How? Unique to 5er's

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Job Dutchmen. Those jack are a little heavier than I prefer but what I really like about them is they are very stable.
The jacks support the 5'er with ease allowing you to feel confident nothing is going to teeter and fall.
Looks like the 12 ton jack stand will resolve your issue,especially if you have a good storage spot for the jacks.
I'm a little confused as to why the jacks now extend 26" vs.13.5" at the CG?
That extra 13" is significant and may have resolved your problem at the CG.
Were the rear jacks deployed at the time? If the rear jack were extended, they may have kept the front jacks from extending any further? The 5'er front and rear jacks may have been fighting each other, especially if rear jacks were grounded just a thought?
Anyway those 12 tons jacks should work problem solved!

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple things:

JRscooby: the foot print of the jacks are 12 inches x 12.xx inches and stack inside each other if the center lift is removed. I have a couple plastic steamer trunks I keep in the bed of the pick-up, one for sewer hoses and connections and such, the other for carrying an extra jug of DEF and hoses for my air compressor. I removed the jug of DEF and the jack stands fit nicely, with adequate room to still wedge the jug of DEF in there also.

About weight, the center lift is removable. The base by itself is not any heavier than that jug of DEF I manhandle. The center lifts are probably a good 10 pounds all by themselves. So, if moving them around, each piece by itself is not that bad. I'm glad they can be broken down though.

The only draw back I see, as mentioned above, is the possibility the feet would sink, especially if on dirt. I'll be experimenting at home, but am now considering a square plate, maybe 13 or 14 inches square to fit under them so the feet won't sink in soft ground. (still working on this one).

Lantley: About the difference is extension length on those legs. I don't know why. After I unhitched, I hit the Auto Level and everything started working as expected. The front jacks started raising and everything appeared to be OK. When the Lippert system signaled, "grounding rear jacks" it started lowering the back ones and quickly went into an error, indicating the front was low. No matter how I tried, I couldn't get the front jacks to raise higher, no matter what, I kept getting the same error. So, figured I'd reached my total length, which was only 13 inches. So, maybe the auto level system cut something out. When we left the campground, all the jacks retracted OK, and the error went away.

At home, I did not hit the auto level. I went straight to raising the front landing gear as high as it would go. After I was done playing with everything, I manually adjusted the front landing gear to approximate level, and then hit the auto level, and it leveled out and anchored down just fine, all 6 jacks.

My dealership repair shop guy did tell me the trailer had to level close for left-to-right. It looks like, it has to be somewhat close to level front-to-back (or within 13 inches) for the auto level to work correct. That's the best I can figure.

However, with the new jack stands, I can now get the front up high enough (if and when this situation occurs again). I've just go to figure out how to prepare for this if the trailer is ever parked on grass on a slope. The way we travel, we just never know where we'll end up. After all, it's better to be prepared and never need it, than not prepared and need it and can't get to it.

Thanks again. I'm still very much appreciative for this idea. I was dumbfounded and never in a zillion years would I have thought of using stationary jacks.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Couple things:

the other for carrying an extra jug of DEF and hoses for my air compressor. I removed the jug of DEF and the jack stands fit nicely, with adequate room to still wedge the jug of DEF in there also.

That deserves a separate thread on tow vehicles! DEF has a shelf life and should not be store in a warm location. I just pull into a WM when I get to 1/2 tank and a 2.5 Peak Blue DEF puts it back at full.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutchmen I think we think a lot on a lot of things. I also carry a jug of DEF.
I almost started to carry my jack stands in the fiver at all times as well.
One of my leveling jacks failed which forced me to go out and buy 12 ton jacks to make the repair. (This is how I knew you could use a set in your situation).
Fortunately the jack failed in my driveway vs. on the road.
I reluctantly store my jack stands at home in the shed vs. in the 5'er...LOL
But for better or worse I have a whole lot of just in case stuff loaded in my fiver

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading the entire thread, IMO, Dutch's got an issue with his leveling system. After all, it =is= an LCI product, so that surprises whom? I'd certainly look at getting the error checked and figure out why the system won't give the full extension. That 26" was =without= the extensions so add another 20" or better, and you'd have close to 4' of total extension, if necessary. Sumpin's wrong...

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Couple things:

JRscooby: the foot print of the jacks are 12 inches x 12.xx inches and stack inside each other if the center lift is removed.e broken down though.

Unless you have something I have not seen, each stand has a foot print that is only the edge of the ends of the legs, not the whole square foot.

Quote:

The only draw back I see, as mentioned above, is the possibility the feet would sink, especially if on dirt. I'll be experimenting at home, but am now considering a square plate, maybe 13 or 14 inches square to fit under them so the feet won't sink in soft ground. (still working on this one).

Sinking in dirt? May not get jacks off ground. And over the years we have had stands with light weight on them sink in asphalt. Don't trust anything but concrete without a base.

Quote:

Lantley: About the difference is extension length on those legs.

A question based only on my ignorance; Are the jacks hydraulic rams? And if so, is there a chance that with back of trailer high the oil tank will not feed all the oil to pump? Or, with the rear jacks on the ground, the front does not have the capacity to lift the whole trailer?

IMHO, the best thing to do if parking on a steep slope is a tough rubber belt (hd rubber mud flap cut in half work for you)as wide as the tires, and bolted to a chock. With weight of tire on flap, will not move.

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/19 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you starting with the jacks fully retracted and drop the inner legs to the ground? If you do that you should be able to raise the front of the camper at least 2 feet. If you don't drop the inner legs you will never have enough stroke.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bipeflier wrote:

Are you starting with the jacks fully retracted and drop the inner legs to the ground? If you do that you should be able to raise the front of the camper at least 2 feet. If you don't drop the inner legs you will never have enough stroke.

That was my thought, why not drop the inter leg? I have the Ground Control 3 auto level so there is no inter leg. I just est how low the front will be and add a stack of legos to make up the distance. I use them under all the legs all the time as the shorter the leg the less wobble.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Level on sloped campsites. How? Unique to 5er's
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS