Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Those with auto leveling systems
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Those with auto leveling systems

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
topjimmy

Washington Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My thoughts Exactly I have had 2 5er's with auto level and been a fulltimer for 7 years and I have rarely had a problem auto leveling but just like CarnationSailor said I do sometimes put a few of those orange blocks on the middle and rear jacks from getting Hyper-extended and by the way I have had my wheels off the ground MANY times and the jacks can handle it no problem just a little more wobble inside that's all and also anybody that is manually leveling with auto level is not doing something right or they need to recalibrate the system
CarnationSailor wrote:

I just can't bring myself to manually level the 5th when I have auto-level available, so I never pre-level by putting blocks under the tires. and also anybody that is Manually leveling with the auto system is not doing something right or you need to recalibrate the system

At first I was concerned about the tires being off the ground, but then postings on this forum convinved me that the jecks are designed to carry the weight of the trailer when the tires are off the ground.

Also, after observing all the Class A's with their front tires off the ground on sites that are barely out-of-level front to back, I am further convinced that tires off the ground is not a problem.

However, on an unlevel site, I do use blocks under any jack where they are needed to prevent the jack being "hyper extended".

2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2004 3500 GMC Short Bed, LB7 Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

topjimmy Wrote:
have had my wheels off the ground MANY times and the jacks can handle it no problem just a little more wobble inside that's all

I agree with everything you said. However I'm concerned that that wobble could potentially tweek one of the jacks. I am probably worrying about nothing but as a precaution I place boards beneath the wheels to take the weight off of the jacks.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't beat the Pineboard levelling system. Never fails. If it cracks, it becomes firewood.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About how far out of level to lift the wheels? I would think that would have to be at least 5" or 6".

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

About how far out of level to lift the wheels? I would think that would have to be at least 5" or 6".

Last year during hunting season, we had about a foot difference side to side and over a foot front to back. It kinda sucked.....but it was what we had to work with. The left side tires were about 8 to 10 inches off of terra firma! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

gtnsmlr

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven’t measured but it looks like my Lippert system jacks have about 6” of stroke. If you’re on a site that uses up 4” of stroke to level front to back, you only have 2” of stroke left for side to side leveling so, before I do anything, I check both ways and if both are way out of level, I block the wheels and save the stroke for front to back. It sux to get the out of stroke code a 1/4” out of level.

The older we get, the faster we go

Crodad

Lafayette, LA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/19 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t worry about the wheels coming off the ground. The frame can handle it.

2008 F-250 PSD 4x2 Lariat
2016 Silverback 31RK

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had a four point system for a year and a half now, and I am thinning out the amount of lumber I carry. We mainly boondock, and have had both wheels on one side or the other in the air many times. The shackles will not flip, at least on my trailer. I mainly carry blocks to put under the jacks feet now.

I will not be without autolevel anymore.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
1992 S&S 11.5 TC

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/19 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 6 point auto. First make sure the zero point (level) is set in the system. I add a few lego's under each leg, a few extra to an obvious low side, or front to back. Let the system level and you good to go. The shorter the legs the less wobble.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in a few campsitres that were at least 6" off side to side,and I dont prelevel the trailer. I walk around and place my blocks where I want them then hit autolevel. it may take some getting used to how many jackblocks to use and where so you dont get out of storke errors or jack errors, but after a few you start thinkinking about it a little more.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Those with auto leveling systems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS