cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Those with auto leveling systems

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Our new Jayco has the auto leveling system. So far we have used it twice and both sites we were off level side to side not over 2" and I did block the low side.Not sure if I even need to less the 2". So how far off level side to side before you start blocking?
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate
24 REPLIES 24

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Just left KOA in Bristol TN. The campground is very unlevel and difficult to maneuver around. Using auto level, the nose jacks retracted all the way before raising about an inch but the trailer was level. I always put a single 2X8 under each foot.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
austinjenna wrote:
I dont have the leveling system but I am sure the next one will. So do you guys put the between tires chocks in? or do you just use chocks on the ground in front and rear of the tires. I was just thinking of my normal routine, chocks between the tires and then in front and read of the tires. Just wondering what happens if the leveling system raises the tires off the ground and what happens when you want to hook back up how you do it.

In my experience, I've often had one side off the ground, or very close to it, so chocks would be useless on that side. As I said above, my system wants to level UPWARDS, so even the high side wheels can be somewhat unweighted. I chock my trailer before leveling and, when done, those chocks will be loose on the "high" side. If I kick them in tight, then forget to pull them back before hitching, the trailer locks them in place and I'll either have to re-raise the trailer to get them out or rock it. This is why I put my chocks =between= the wheels, so that I can at least move my trailer in one direction, if needed, to get the chocks out. Again, as I said above, I'd love to have an option to drop the whole rig, level, about 1-2".

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I dont have the leveling system but I am sure the next one will. So do you guys put the between tires chocks in? or do you just use chocks on the ground in front and rear of the tires. I was just thinking of my normal routine, chocks between the tires and then in front and read of the tires. Just wondering what happens if the leveling system raises the tires off the ground and what happens when you want to hook back up how you do it.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
12th Man Fan wrote:
Sorry, I missed the point on my first post but if mine will level on autolevel I don't worry about it unless I will be there for a long time then I might consider blocking before I auto level.

There is a guy across from me right now with a four point leveling system and he has all four wheels off the ground a couple of inches and he has been there 3 or 4 weeks. When a neighbor asked him about it he said he had been camping for many years and he knew what he was doing. To each his own I guess but that is a good way to flip the shackles and possibly cause some damage.

One thing I've noticed about the LCI 4 pt system on my KZ is that it tends to almost always level UPWARDS. Perfect example is when I level up in front of my house, on a paved street. Curb side tires are =always= off the ground about 2" and I have to block the RR jack or it runs out of stroke. The street-side tires are on the ground, but they are pretty-well unweighted. Chocks will wedge in TIGHT if I don't pull them out before dropping down to hitch up. I'd =love= to be able to simply drop the entire rig, level, about 1-2".

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
cougar28 wrote:
Our new Jayco has the auto leveling system. So far we have used it twice and both sites we were off level side to side not over 2" and I did block the low side.Not sure if I even need to less the 2". So how far off level side to side before you start blocking?

Personally, I put at least 4" under my rear jacks due to the fact that they just don't have a lot of travel. On the street in front of my house, there's enough crown in it that the RR jack runs out of stroke by about an inch. Adding that 4", on both sides, gives me plenty of assurance that, on all but the most unlevel site, I'll have enough stroke on the rear jacks.

On the front, I =always= put at least one lego block down (don't need them for the wheels, so why not?) as a pad. I do carry plenty of blocks with me, just in case. I normally power down the front jacks a fair ways before dropping the extensions. I drop the extensions to the ground, then pull them up until the pin snaps into place. After that, I jack up, unhitch, then hit the Autolevel button. Once it's done, I raise the front just a bit, tighten the JT Strongarms, then drop the front back to level.

Last time we went out, though, we were boondocking in the forest and, after a bit of rain, noticed that the rig was wiggling a bit on the last night. Didn't really pay much attention, but when I was packing up, I noticed how much we'd settled, close to an inch, and it =did= make a difference. I'll pay attention to that in the future and simply re-level, if necessary.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I was in a few campsitres that were at least 6" off side to side,and I dont prelevel the trailer. I walk around and place my blocks where I want them then hit autolevel. it may take some getting used to how many jackblocks to use and where so you dont get out of storke errors or jack errors, but after a few you start thinkinking about it a little more.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 6 point auto. First make sure the zero point (level) is set in the system. I add a few lego's under each leg, a few extra to an obvious low side, or front to back. Let the system level and you good to go. The shorter the legs the less wobble.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had a four point system for a year and a half now, and I am thinning out the amount of lumber I carry. We mainly boondock, and have had both wheels on one side or the other in the air many times. The shackles will not flip, at least on my trailer. I mainly carry blocks to put under the jacks feet now.

I will not be without autolevel anymore.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t worry about the wheels coming off the ground. The frame can handle it.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
I havenโ€™t measured but it looks like my Lippert system jacks have about 6โ€ of stroke. If youโ€™re on a site that uses up 4โ€ of stroke to level front to back, you only have 2โ€ of stroke left for side to side leveling so, before I do anything, I check both ways and if both are way out of level, I block the wheels and save the stroke for front to back. It sux to get the out of stroke code a 1/4โ€ out of level.
The older we get, the faster we go

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
cougar28 wrote:
About how far out of level to lift the wheels? I would think that would have to be at least 5" or 6".

Last year during hunting season, we had about a foot difference side to side and over a foot front to back. It kinda sucked.....but it was what we had to work with. The left side tires were about 8 to 10 inches off of terra firma! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
About how far out of level to lift the wheels? I would think that would have to be at least 5" or 6".
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't beat the Pineboard levelling system. Never fails. If it cracks, it becomes firewood.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
topjimmy Wrote:
have had my wheels off the ground MANY times and the jacks can handle it no problem just a little more wobble inside that's all

I agree with everything you said. However I'm concerned that that wobble could potentially tweek one of the jacks. I am probably worrying about nothing but as a precaution I place boards beneath the wheels to take the weight off of the jacks.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide