Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Those with auto leveling systems
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Those with auto leveling systems

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our new Jayco has the auto leveling system. So far we have used it twice and both sites we were off level side to side not over 2" and I did block the low side.Not sure if I even need to less the 2". So how far off level side to side before you start blocking?

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

12th Man Fan

Flower Mound , Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should not be off level at all. You need to reset the system. You can manually level the rig and then save this info depending what type of system you have.

2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

djousma

SW Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From a strength perspective, it's not needed. However, with wheels off the ground, you will get more wiggle. I try to add a board or two under the low side to help avoid that.

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12th Man Fan wrote:

Should not be off level at all. You need to reset the system. You can manually level the rig and then save this info depending what type of system you have.

Not saying the system is off. When you first get on the site and your rig is off level side to side. At what point do you put blocking under the wheels on the low side to get close to level before useing the auto level system.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run into this problem with my Montana 5er all the time. After many times getting error codes, my dealership repair shop guy finally told me those Lippert Leveling systems do not have much tolerance. You need to get your trailer as level as possible, side-to-side before using the system. That means ... ALWAYS setting up the 5er just like we did with the 3 previous trailers... with a carpenters level and lumber under the tires.

Mine has a tolerance at 2 degrees. When it hits 3 degrees, the auto level does not work. I carry lumber and level as close as I can (side to side) wherever we go before extending the jacks.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't feel the need to use boards most times. However If I can see the ground sloping I may place a few boards down before I start.
If I fail to notice an out of level site, the leveling system will raise the tires off the ground.
When that happens I go back and wedge a few boards under the suspended tires to support the weight of the trailer.
While I agree It may not be a problem. I do not feel comfortable with the RV being in the air supported only by the leveling jacks. I prefer the weight to be supported by the wheels.
I don't think the "how far off tolerance is determined solely by the leveling system. The suspension system is also a factor.
How much play/travel do you have in your suspension before the wheels begin to lift? Leveling systems are relatively all the same but suspension travel can be very different. Ultimately the suspension travel will impact the "how far off" equation.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We rarely ever use a campground/RV park, mostly boondock in the mountains. We have double-stacked ( 8” blocks) a few times on one side or end, so our Bigfoot auto leveling can do it’s “magic”. And yes....the tires were “well” off the ground! Even though the Bigfoot has a large “footprint” (no pun intended), we always place my homemade 16”x16”x 2 1/4” laminated plywood pads beneath our leveling jacks. Most times they’re not needed, but rain or melting snow can soften the soil and cause issues. memtb

* This post was edited 08/17/19 07:14pm by memtb *

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I don't feel the need to use boards most times. However If I can see the ground sloping I may place a few boards down before I start.
If I fail to notice an out of level site, the leveling system will raise the tires off the ground.
When that happens I go back and wedge a few boards under the suspended tires to support the weight of the trailer.

If I need to use a board or two under a wheel, to make contact with the ground, I also place a board or two under the foot of the jack. I want as little extention of the jacks as possible.

It is only logical to assume that while the vertical load can be quite stable and safe, should something unforeseen happen, say an earthquake, the horizontal strength of the jacks is not great when a 16,500 lb load is free to move about side to side.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just can't bring myself to manually level the 5th when I have auto-level available, so I never pre-level by putting blocks under the tires.

At first I was concerned about the tires being off the ground, but then postings on this forum convinved me that the jecks are designed to carry the weight of the trailer when the tires are off the ground.

Also, after observing all the Class A's with their front tires off the ground on sites that are barely out-of-level front to back, I am further convinced that tires off the ground is not a problem.

However, on an unlevel site, I do use blocks under any jack where they are needed to prevent the jack being "hyper extended".

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

12th Man Fan

Flower Mound , Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, I missed the point on my first post but if mine will level on autolevel I don't worry about it unless I will be there for a long time then I might consider blocking before I auto level.

There is a guy across from me right now with a four point leveling system and he has all four wheels off the ground a couple of inches and he has been there 3 or 4 weeks. When a neighbor asked him about it he said he had been camping for many years and he knew what he was doing. To each his own I guess but that is a good way to flip the shackles and possibly cause some damage.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Those with auto leveling systems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS