Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Couple new to RV travel Trailer's looking for advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Couple new to RV travel Trailer's looking for advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
LiLMouse79

South/Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi I am looking for a TT under 30ft.
It's just the 2 of us but I know I want the following in a tt : 1 the booth style dinette. 2 I'd really like recliners instead of a sofa. Is that something I can modify myself? If so anyone have suggestions? And here is probably the biggest thing I NEED in the TT.... Enough height for my 6'4 husband to use the bathroom .
I am open to any and all suggestions on everything. Thanks for the help!!

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make your husband sit down , much easier to keep clean !

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always tell new RVers, to buy a 2-4 year old unit. It will have depreciated a lot and you can decide if you like camping or not.

The next problem new RVers have is the size of their tow vehicle. Anything over 24' would be a challenge for many 1/2 to pickups, unless properly equipped from the factory.

The problem with replacing a couch with a couple of recliners is that most couch have storage underneath or plumbing or electrical. Also the floor may be unfinished there.

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just go out and go trailer shopping. The bigger the selection the better. Have your husband take off his shoes and step in the shower to insure it’s big enough. He should lay on the bed for the same fit test. Find the one you like with the stuff you want and the one that fits your husband. Ask if the dealer will swap out a sofa for recliners. Your doing the swapping after buying may be impossible because you can’t get the items through the door or window. I encourage you to get a trailer with at least one slide and longer than you think you want. We regretted buying the smallest and quickly moved to a fifth wheel for more room. Good hunting/shopping!

* This post was edited 08/16/19 03:34pm by Two Hands *

2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

PhilipB

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just swapped out the couch in our toy hauler for one that has recliners. This was easy. Couch was in three sections designed to fit through 28" door.

That said, our first TT had the fresh water tank under it. Check this, as someone already has mentioned.

2015 Ram 2500
2013 Raptor 310TS

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of trailers come with the theater seating now, 2 recliners with a console in the middle. Lazyboy furniture would work to swap out because the backs come off and you can fit them into the 28 in door usually but check to make sure it does come apart. The shower might be an issue in the size trailer you are looking at. Go shopping and look at all the trailers you can. You will know it when you find it.

Traver8

West TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are several brands out there with higher ceilings. I am 6'6" and have a Jayco Jayflight which works well for me. For the shower, I am able to stand in the skylight there and have enough room. I need to sit down in order to wash my hair without making a big mess so I use an upside down 5 gal bucket. Works for me. You will find that most beds are the Short Queen. I suggest that you be sure and get a walk around bed so that you can pull the mattress toward the foot some for more length. The space a the head can be filled with a piece of foam if needed. For me, I have a cabinet at the foot which I cannot open unless I push the mattress back. So, out for bed and then back when I get up.

When you are tall, life is easier if you learn to find ways to make things work. The world is just not configured for taller people.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to an RV show... and wear comfortable shoes [emoticon]

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned, and really important for taller people, you want to find a unit with a full length queen bed. Usually, if the manufacturer mentions the bed size, it is often 80 inches long, but be wary of the smaller bed length.

It really helps if you tell us the tow vehicle, and the rough price range you are considering.

Mike and Carole
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

richardcoxid

Idaho Falls, ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the Outdoors RV, Mountain Class, Timber Ridge models. X2 on the RV size Queen 74” length vs the full size Queen of 80” length

2005 Dodge/Cummins auto, 2wd. PacBrake PRXB Exh Brake, Maxx Brake controller.
1998 Hitchhiker II, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator. Dexter EZ lube 7,000# axles with 8,000# capacity brakes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Couple new to RV travel Trailer's looking for advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS