cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vermont to DC bypass NYC

jimj
Explorer
Explorer
We are going Vermont to Cherry Hill DC area and would like to stay clear of NYC with our 38' motorhome. If anyone knows a good route this way please let me know. The gps takes you close to NYC and that may be difficult but if that is the only way, I can do it. I would not mind going some out of the way to avoid some of the tolls and heavy traffic.

Thanks

JimJ
5 REPLIES 5

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Reading about lots of construction on I-84 in PA. I'd do I-91 to I-84 to US 209 (just inside PA) to I-80 to hook up with I-81. Slower but more scenic is skipping I-80 and take Rt33 to I-78.

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
81 is the best way to go!

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^^^ What Drew said or south on 87 from Albany to 84 west to 81 south.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The way I've gone is basically whatever to I-87 to I-88 (via a bit of I-90 W, which although it's a toll road is free between those two exits) to I-81 to I-70 to I-270 to I-495. How you get to I-87 depends on where in Vermont you start from; if in the northwest part of the state, US 7 to VT 22A to US 4 to NY 149 to US 9 works well. For centralish areas, catch US 4 and continue as above. For southern areas, VT 9 which becomes NY 7 is not unreasonable, if a bit hilly in places.

I-91 to I-84 is another possibility, albeit sometimes congested and with apparently everlasting construction.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Jim,

Start the plan again, but set a way point (or maybe make it two legs) of Harrisburg PA. When all is said and done, this will take about 12 miles out of your way and about 10$ (passcar) tolls cheaper and way clear of NYC.

Matt - a refugee from the east coast megopolis.
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.