Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Recommend me a Vacume Food Bagger
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Recommend me a Vacume Food Bagger

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the market to buy a good one to bag up some meals for the trips. Also want to bag up a few other items as emergency kits for the TV. All suggestions, stories, and smart remarks are appreciated. TIA!

swphotobug

varous

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had FoodSaver for 20+ years and have been extremely happy with it. You can use your Bed and Bath Coupons to buy one, Walmart also carries them and, of course, Amazon..

FYI-When/If it stops sealing after many years a new gasket is all it needs.

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/19 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have this brand and it works well. Buy your bags in bulk rolls no matter which brand you get. SIL has FoodSaver from Costco and likes it as well.
sealer

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the more expensive unit. they just work better. There are bags that work better, they have a rougher surface on the inside, tends to trap moisture. Moisture gets to the sealing bar, unless you have a commercial grade unit, it will fail to seal

Best steaks EVER, vacuum seal, cook in a beer cooler, and/or with a sous vide machine. Trust me on this one.

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

foodsaver v475. Smaller compared to some. You can start vac and seal, press seal, to seal at any time, so you can seal snacks, without crushing. I reuse those bags.
Don't try to vac and seal stuff that has moisture. I freeze it first, then vac and seal. When you take meat out to use clip a corner of the bag to release the vacuum, keeps the moisture in the meat.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/19 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and buy the rolls and cut what you need from the roll. The bags tend to waste too much for the small items that one freezes.
I just went on the Foodsaver website and found some negative reviews of their $55 Game saver unit. Probably best to get the better product. We have had ours for at least 10 years.
Some of the units have the roll inside but they are much bigger than those who do not.

* This post was edited 08/16/19 07:40am by Dick_B *

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bed Bath and Beyond and the 20% coupon for the Food Saver. Coupons work for the bags too. My wife also picks up the aluminum tins with lids at the dollar store and we premake meals for our trips too. She make everything from roast beef with potatoes to macaroni with cheese and freezes them. So very convenient and easy.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the ideas and recommendations, folks. I had read some reviews on the Food Saver site that were very uncomplimentary and wasn't sure what to believe. Seems like anymore, rivals and paid 'reviewers' will give out bad reviews just to confuse folks. Its getting harder to know what you can believe. (but kudos to FS for leaving up bad reviews- most places just delete them)

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like to smoke ribs, chops, whatever and seal them in our Seal-A-Meal, freeze them and throw them in the RV freezer. After a day's driving, at the campsite just throw them in the microwave and just like fresh cooked/smoked. No muss, no fuss> And great tasting food.
Seal-A-Meal for me!

Our Phoenix Cruiser 2100, "Bob", has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 03:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been using a Food Saver vacuum sealer for over 20 years. It is starting to get a little slow so I bought a new Food Saver. I just can't bring myself to break out the new on and retire my old reliable unit. I do purchase the rolls of bag material because I am cheap and don;t like puRchasing high priced bags when I can make my own bags out of the exact material that I buy from them at half the cost or less when bought on sale.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Recommend me a Vacume Food Bagger
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS