Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Yellowstone Grant/Madison CG's
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

 > Yellowstone Grant/Madison CG's

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dryfly

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 11/16/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/15/19 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grant and Madison campgrounds say max of 30' for trailers in back-in sites. After making reservations in May, I just picked up my new 5th wheel and found it is 30'6".

I've looked at pictures of the campsites and can't imagine another 6" is going to be a deal breaker but if anyone has camped there I'd certainly appreciate opinions. I can't determine if 30' is the length of the site, or if it's a measurement with the trailer's wheels backed up to the log stop and the rear of the trailer hanging over.

I called the reservations center today and was assured they could work me in a spot, but I'd hate to drive for 3 days to find it's a no go.

Any help appreciated.

Lwiddis

Bishop, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 08/15/19 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ll bet you are close enough for the federal government.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.


agesilaus

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/15/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are no measurement police, no one will come around with a tape measure to see if your unit is 30' or 30" 6" or 35' for that matter. If your unit fits in the site then you are good to go so long as it does not stick out into the roadway. I have never seen a NPS cg where the tow vehicle did not have room to pull into the site. Maybe not enough room but close. I had the rangers at Yosemite tell me to park my truck sideways once.

Not that being said, if you cannot get into the site then you are out of luck, no refunds and they will not find you a different site.


Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper


dryfly

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 11/16/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/15/19 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

There are no measurement police, no one will come around with a tape measure to see if your unit is 30' or 30" 6" or 35' for that matter. If your unit fits in the site then you are good to go so long as it does not stick out into the roadway. I have never seen a NPS cg where the tow vehicle did not have room to pull into the site. Maybe not enough room but close. I had the rangers at Yosemite tell me to park my truck sideways once.

Not that being said, if you cannot get into the site then you are out of luck, no refunds and they will not find you a different site.


I appreciate your reply, but it does not answer the question. I know they will not measure my trailer, and I know if a vehicle is in the road you will be asked to leave.

What I'm asking in my OP is if anyone has had experience with actually staying in these campgrounds, and if the sites will actually accommodate anything slightly over 30'.

ccchuck

The Shoals, AL

Senior Member

Joined: 06/07/2003

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 08/15/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Grayhawk is 30" 9", and I was towing a CRV. I called the campground number and over a few days they found me a 3 night and a 2 night opening,(2 different campgrounds) THAT THEY SAID WOULD FIT my equipment, so no surprises upon arrival.
I strongly recommend calling, not using the website.
and Yellowstone was great (only our 5th trip)...


RVing since '74..


dryfly

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 11/16/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/15/19 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ccchuck wrote:

My Grayhawk is 30" 9", and I was towing a CRV. I called the campground number and over a few days they found me a 3 night and a 2 night opening,(2 different campgrounds) THAT THEY SAID WOULD FIT my equipment, so no surprises upon arrival.
I strongly recommend calling, not using the website.
and Yellowstone was great (only our 5th trip)...


You did not mention but I'm assuming the 2 different campgrounds you stayed at were Grant and Madison. Were your sites back in or pull through?

I did make reservations over the phone but the folks I talked with were at a reservation center and not at the campground and basically were repeating what they had been told about the campsites, i.e. 30 feet max.

If you remember the number where I could actually speak with someone at the Yellowstone campgrounds I would really appreciate.

agesilaus

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/16/19 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I was trying to get across with my post is this: if a 30 ft unit fits then adding 6 inches won't make any difference. You are worrying over a problem that does not exist. When they rate a site as 30' that is approximate not exact.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/16/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

There are no measurement police, no one will come around with a tape measure to see if your unit is 30' or 30" 6" or 35' for that matter. If your unit fits in the site then you are good to go so long as it does not stick out into the roadway. I have never seen a NPS cg where the tow vehicle did not have room to pull into the site. Maybe not enough room but close. I had the rangers at Yosemite tell me to park my truck sideways once.

Not that being said, if you cannot get into the site then you are out of luck, no refunds and they will not find you a different site.


I appreciate your reply, but it does not answer the question. I know they will not measure my trailer, and I know if a vehicle is in the road you will be asked to leave.

What I'm asking in my OP is if anyone has had experience with actually staying in these campgrounds, and if the sites will actually accommodate anything slightly over 30'.


We drove through to check out Madison. We have a 35' FW (well 35' 5"). No way would we go in there but others, and plenty do. To us, the road is narrow, tight, and back in, except if you get an end site, would be a long process. If you are good, really good, at this type of situation, then go for it.


2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!


ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/16/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't have a login to Campendium, do it. It's free, then check out their pics and reviews

Madison Campground Yellowstone NP

Grant Campground Yellowstone NP

Just a note, we stayed at Bridge Bay and really liked it. The internal road are wider and the sites out in the open are spacious.

* This post was edited 08/16/19 09:26am by ReneeG *

BarryG20

Castle Rock, Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 07/14/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/16/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At Grant (not stayed in Madison) the few times I have been there not had a problem. You don't know what type of site you will get until you get there it may be pull through or back in. From what I recall 6 inches is not going to make a difference. The last two times I was at Grant I ended up with a pull through that could have accommodated a longer trailer with no problem. However I had to go in backwards due to the tree placement in the site for my slides to extend (which they dont care about as long as you have someone working the traffic as there is no space for passing around an oncoming vehicle, obviously the back in sites that will make no difference.

If I am unfamiliar with a campground and can't get good info on it and they have the availability I have no problem reserving the next size up.

In any case I don't think you will have an issue from what I can recall about the site sizes. They are not overly large at all but again I don't recall seeing anyone having a problem at least once they got in their site. Also I don't believe they are counting on your rear overhang going over the rear backstop as part of the measurement however there may be a tree right there as well.


2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

 > Yellowstone Grant/Madison CG's
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS