cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much is too much? Electrical question.

Brett_G
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 Forest River Georgetown. I’d like to have a cup of tea in the morning, and watch TV in the evening. How about plugging in a small heater during the night.
Can I do that without adding anything new to my Motorhome?
I don’t have solar panels, or extra batteries, so what can and can’t I use while boondocking in a parking lot over night, without putting on the generator?
Thank you.
11 REPLIES 11

Brett_G
Explorer
Explorer
Well once again I’d like to thank everyone for your responses.??

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brett G wrote:
I have a 2019 Forest River Georgetown. I’d like to have a cup of tea in the morning, and watch TV in the evening. How about plugging in a small heater during the night. Can I do that without adding anything new to my Motorhome? I don’t have solar panels, or extra batteries, so what can and can’t I use while boondocking in a parking lot over night, without putting on the generator?
Thank you.

Your only viable option is using the installed propane heater. Anything else will require additional hardware (inverter, batteries, portable propane heater, kerosene heater,,,). Maybe a 12VDC car blanket.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
... and whether 6 or 12v batteries.

With a single 12v/225-235AH or 2-6v/225-235AH, you can last 1 night running the furnace. You might get a little more out of it but you will still need to run the engine or gennie to recharge your batts. Furnace fan chews up quite a bit of energy.

Bruce_Brown
Please let us know;

1. If you gave an inverter
2. If you do, how big is it?
3. How many coach batteries do you have?

With that info we can give you a much better answer.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Brett_G
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. Thanks so much for answering my questions. Much appreciated.??

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
go to tech issues

What the old man meant to say was, you posted this in the wrong forum:S, you should ask the Mod move it to the Tech Issues or General RVing Issues.

There is a short description for each forum subject when you click on it. The subject you clicked on is for help posting, not help learning.

No big thing just a cheerful note.

Now to try and answer your question. Well first I'm going to ask a couple, would you let us know which Georgetown you have and how many batteries you have. I assume you have two house and one chassis but then again I could be wrong.

But as Bud said, a lot of us use percolators and our propane furnace. I use My Cup of Joe and K cups but heat the water with the stove. Your TV will draw less than nothing, unless you have a 120 Volt AC TV but even then it's not a big draw. If you have a 120 VAC TV, I'll bet you already have an inverter. You should be fine for up to maybe 3 days on two golf batteries.

The more you tell us the better our answers can and will be.

So welcome and post questions with background info and you'll learn a lot.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
These questions indicate strongly that you need to do some basic RV electric reading. They are fundamental, basic etc. Then ask here. Boondocking is out in the boonies. Dry camping is without any hookups. Parking lots are for a quick snooze.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
go to tech issues
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you expect 120vac power without running the generator you will need an inverter.
If you have an inverter it will operate fine up to its rating and until the battery is dead.

What you need is a voltmeter to better track the charge level on your battery.

The 12 Volt Side of Life

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Use the propane furnace and the stove top
We have switched back to a stainless steel stove top percolator many years ago

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker