Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Help finding nightly parking for our caravan
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions  >  General Topics

> Help finding nightly parking for our caravan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jannlanz

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 04:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello. Can anyone recommend places to stay while traveling cross country, or planning website, apps, etc? We’re moving from Ukiah, CA to Sparta, TN on November 13, 2019. I am a dog breeder and will be transporting 13 Mastiffs and will need a lot of parking room for vehicles and for the setup of temporary dog exercise pens nightly and I don’t think campgrounds will work for our caravan. Showers would be wonderful. Truck stops maybe, stores? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Vehicles included are:

40’ motorhome towing large container.
25’ motorhome towing 15’ trailer.
Ford Excursion towing dog trailer.
Possibly another vehicle and trailer.

Thank you so much.
www.goldleafmastiffs.com

Jann

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Free Campsites lists free places to park. The further east you go, the harder it will be to find a suitable spot.

Also, Harvest Hosts lists places open for a free overnight. It costs $50 to join. I would set the search filter on museums and farms. I doubt that wineries would be too welcoming.

The Allstays app for Android and iOS will help if you get stuck for the night somewhere not planned.

I'm sure you realize that this type of operation requires a lot of logistical planning. I would have every stop lined up before leaving and use Allstays if things don't go according to the plan.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most campgrounds in the mountain west will be closed at that time of the year. You may be able to smile and dial and find some parks in the southwest that will have space since the snowbirds will have not yet flown in large flocks that direction. Appeal to greed by offering to rent multiple sites and offer to not leave until those sites have been inspected for cleanliness. Truck stps would be a horrible idea. They are almost always packed to the gills and a trucker finding multiple parking lanes taken with dog runs might just flip out. Best option might be to call towns along your route and inquire about possible parking at fairgrounds, rodeo grounds or other public places. Once again, the profferring of monetary compensation could grease the wheels.
I agree with another poster in that you should have your accommodations 100% secured before you depart. Much better to spend a day on the phone than it is to spend a night driving around trying to find a place that won't just laugh wgile showing you the exit.

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on county fairgrounds

oldave

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Town / County fair grounds , many of them even have RV spaces .
They might be mostly empty in Nov .

I would start calling now .

We stayed in one in Oct in Kentucky that was empty .
I mean no one at all , we left the fee in a door drop
at the office .
It was a little spooky just the wife and me but there
will be several people with you so being alone would
be better for you .

jannlanz

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for your replies. Would anyone by chance know if there’s a website that can map a trip in 10 hour increments so we can plan our stopping points each day? Thanks.

Nutinelse2do

On the Road Where the Weather Suits Our Clothes

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cabela’s is a great stop. They offer covered dog pens, fresh water, security, and some have a dump station.

Always check with security, and they will let you know where in the lot to park

Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That trip looks to be about 2500 miles over almost all interstate 5 and 40, and if you average 60 MPH you would have four 600+ miles a day with three nights along the way. Myself, I would try to average 50 MPH (especially in a caravan) and add an extra day for five 500 mile days and four nights.

Whichever you choose, I would then use Google Maps to enter that trip with possible stopover points (right-click on a map spot and "add a destination"). In the left pane it will show you the entire length, in miles of the trip and you can click on the Details and it will give you the miles between each stop. You can also left-click on a stop and drag it back and forth on the route to change where the stop is. You can then do a google search on the map for fairgrounds in the area of each stopover for fairgrounds and then check their websites for possible parking/RV sites. You may also find that stopping at truck stops is a viable option and you would have showers and food available there. The problem with a truck stop is that you will be traveling long days and parking places can become scarce as the evening approaches.

Good luck with your trip! We have stayed at the Ukiah fairgrounds a couple of times and if you haven't, you might give it a look to see what a fairground RV park might look like.

* This post was edited 08/15/19 12:52pm by accsys *

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350 (Mothership)
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad (Libby)
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

oldave

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/19 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another advantage of Town / County fairgrounds is you will more than likely
find a lot more open space and they are used to animals , animals is what
fairs do . We stayed at the Louisville Ky fair ground which was an asphalt
parking lot but plenty off space , acres & acres
Not cheap though , 50 bucks .

Truckers are working trying to make a living . I don't see them looking
kindly at a dog caravan taking their parking places .

We have stayed at a Cracker Barrel but with your 4 vehicles they might
frown on the idea .

mikim

Rancho Cucamonga, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we owned a campground, we had a visit from a traveling zoo and several people with horses. They called ahead, and we made sure we had enough room available for them. Never a problem.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions  >  General Topics

> Help finding nightly parking for our caravan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS