cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help finding nightly parking for our caravan

jannlanz
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. Can anyone recommend places to stay while traveling cross country, or planning website, apps, etc? We’re moving from Ukiah, CA to Sparta, TN on November 13, 2019. I am a dog breeder and will be transporting 13 Mastiffs and will need a lot of parking room for vehicles and for the setup of temporary dog exercise pens nightly and I don’t think campgrounds will work for our caravan. Showers would be wonderful. Truck stops maybe, stores? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Vehicles included are:

40’ motorhome towing large container.
25’ motorhome towing 15’ trailer.
Ford Excursion towing dog trailer.
Possibly another vehicle and trailer.

Thank you so much.
www.goldleafmastiffs.com

Jann
16 REPLIES 16

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
To the OP, you should get a filmmaker in on this epic road trip. Those dogs are awesome and with the current trends on the big screen who knows?
Puma 30RKSS

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wherever you decide to stop, make sure you tell them what you're traveling with so there are no surprises upon arrival....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jannlanz
Explorer
Explorer
I just can’t thank you all enough for your thoughtful replies. You’ve all been so helpful. I’m starting to map out our trips and it’s looking like the Pilots might work well for us. Their ap is very helpful. I can book spots through the ap, there’s fuel, food and dump sites. It’s a start. Thanks again!

Shadow57
Explorer
Explorer
I have a facility that could help you out, extra house with an indoor arena. However I am near Louisville, KY so not on your way. I do travel with horses a lot maybe this website could help you find something. Good Luck

https://www.horsemotel.com/
2017 Forest River Forester 3051S

2014 Ram DRW 3500 Laramie Crew Cab

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would try to plan the trip and determine where I would like to stay. Then I would call the local police dept and ask if there was a suitable location to park the caravan.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
jannlanz wrote:
Thank you for your replies. Would anyone by chance know if there’s a website that can map a trip in 10 hour increments so we can plan our stopping points each day? Thanks.

RV Trip Wizard does that. 10 hours is a long day, especially for dogs.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't help with your specific questions, but if it's any help in planning, we average just about 50 mph when travelling on major highways, and that's with a travelling speed usually between 60-65, unless the speed limit is lower. So, with a 2,500 mile trip, that's just about 50 hours of driving. Keep in mind, though, that 50 mph was for our family and, at most, two medium size dogs, and included periodic stops for restroom use, walking the dogs, refills on drinks, snacks, sandwiches & refueling. But, it's going to take you A LOT longer to walk 13 dogs, so I'm guessing your average travelling speed will probably be closer to 45 mph, maybe even less, pushing the total driving time to a minimum of 56 hours. Plus, we only had one vehicle to refuel, you'll have to coordinate refueling for up to 4 vehicles. That will slow down your average a bit, as well. But there's NO WAY you'll average 60 mph or even 55 mph.

I think you should plan on the 45 mph average. If you should average better than that, then call it a night early and try to hit the road a bit earlier the next day. Or if there's a person available to make calls, see if you can find an alternate site for the night.

Speaking of which, will there be additional passengers NOT driving in any of the vehicles? It would be extremely helpful if there was at least one person NOT driving that could make calls or tend to miscellaneous tasks which might come up.

Driving 10 hours with a 45 mph average means 450 miles per day. You might try to find suitable locations at distances of 400, 450 & 500 miles from the previous night to give you some flexibility. That would allow you to make adjustments "on the fly" if you should either be ahead of schedule, or behind schedule.

Another thing I just thought of is the days get short at that time of year. I'd plan on arriving at your destination in the daylight and leaving VERY EARLY in the morning. I find it a lot easier to LEAVE a (campground) parking area in the dark than arriving at one in the dark. Seeing as you'll have to get the dogs walked and settled, I would think you'd need at least 30-60 minutes BEFORE it gets dark. It could just be me, but I HATE trying to figure out the "lay of the land" in the dark.

Google Maps quickly shows two routes: one more northerly on I-80 and another southern route on I-40. I'm assuming you're planning on taking the more southerly route to (hopefully) eliminate the chance of freezing precipitation.

This sounds like a very challenging logistics question. Please keep us updated on your ideas as well as let us know how it all worked out for you.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
When we owned a campground, we had a visit from a traveling zoo and several people with horses. They called ahead, and we made sure we had enough room available for them. Never a problem.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Another advantage of Town / County fairgrounds is you will more than likely
find a lot more open space and they are used to animals , animals is what
fairs do . We stayed at the Louisville Ky fair ground which was an asphalt
parking lot but plenty off space , acres & acres
Not cheap though , 50 bucks .

Truckers are working trying to make a living . I don't see them looking
kindly at a dog caravan taking their parking places .

We have stayed at a Cracker Barrel but with your 4 vehicles they might
frown on the idea .

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
That trip looks to be about 2500 miles over almost all interstate 5 and 40, and if you average 60 MPH you would have four 600+ miles a day with three nights along the way. Myself, I would try to average 50 MPH (especially in a caravan) and add an extra day for five 500 mile days and four nights.

Whichever you choose, I would then use Google Maps to enter that trip with possible stopover points (right-click on a map spot and "add a destination"). In the left pane it will show you the entire length, in miles of the trip and you can click on the Details and it will give you the miles between each stop. You can also left-click on a stop and drag it back and forth on the route to change where the stop is. You can then do a google search on the map for fairgrounds in the area of each stopover for fairgrounds and then check their websites for possible parking/RV sites. You may also find that stopping at truck stops is a viable option and you would have showers and food available there. The problem with a truck stop is that you will be traveling long days and parking places can become scarce as the evening approaches.

Good luck with your trip! We have stayed at the Ukiah fairgrounds a couple of times and if you haven't, you might give it a look to see what a fairground RV park might look like.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Cabela’s is a great stop. They offer covered dog pens, fresh water, security, and some have a dump station.

Always check with security, and they will let you know where in the lot to park
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

jannlanz
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your replies. Would anyone by chance know if there’s a website that can map a trip in 10 hour increments so we can plan our stopping points each day? Thanks.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Town / County fair grounds , many of them even have RV spaces .
They might be mostly empty in Nov .

I would start calling now .

We stayed in one in Oct in Kentucky that was empty .
I mean no one at all , we left the fee in a door drop
at the office .
It was a little spooky just the wife and me but there
will be several people with you so being alone would
be better for you .

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on county fairgrounds