Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Pets riding in trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Pets riding in trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You know what I would do? Go for a short ride in the trailer yourself. If it rides quietly down the road, it shouldn't traumatize the new dog. If it creaks, bounces and rattles - well, it might be "scary".

When we used to first trailer a young horse, one of us would ride in the trailer, just to make sure the youngster was calm and not doing stupid stuff. As a rule, the babies all rode quite nicely.

And lastly - dogs are plenty adaptable to a less-than-smooth ride: my late Aussie Ike used to LOVE riding on our SeaDoo. We'd idle out from the shoreline, and he'd look at me as if to say "This thing has a throttle - get ON IT, woman!!" A SeaDoo at 40 mph is loud, bouncy, wet - and he loved every second of it....LOL!

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of you may find this educational others appalling
How to transport a sled dog team
https://turningheadskennel.com/transporting-sled-dogs/

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

How about I put the kids back there?

He didn't ask about kids in the trailer. Was a dog.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243 wrote:

I agree in a perfect world my dogs would ride in the back with the seat folded down in a crate. We have had one dog for several years he is a nervous wreck riding in the truck already. The Cat rides in her own crate on top of the dogs crate. the new little dog does not like cats (so far) and she is letting big dog know who's boss making the big dog even more nervous. the little dog now rides in the crate and big dog is out sitting next to it. I think I am going to try turning the crate away from the big dog so the little princess is not looking at him and see how that goes.
Now I know why I never had kids!

Put a towel or throw blanket between the crates so the new dog can't see the large dog.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 03:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would be a last resort to have any of our pets ride in a crate in garage of our Toy Hauler. This little rescue dog is with us. It was literally at deaths door. We are it's last stop. There is no giving it back.

We will work out the riding situation in the truck. Who knows maybe in a few months they will all be riding in the same crate...

2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/19 04:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243 wrote:

It would be a last resort to have any of our pets ride in a crate in garage of our Toy Hauler. This little rescue dog is with us. It was literally at deaths door. We are it's last stop. There is no giving it back.

We will work out the riding situation in the truck. Who knows maybe in a few months they will all be riding in the same crate...

I think it is great you rescued the dog. What you are saying above is really the best solution. Dogs are different than livestock and the way we show them love and affection comes back threefold. I am sure with time, love and patience he will come around.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

And pets are not livestock headed to slaughter or auction.
Livestock are transported to places other than action/slaughter; how do you think they get to fairs, farm shows, rodeos, sheepdog trials & demonstrations, other grazing locations (proscribed grazing projects), equestrian events, etc.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

BB_TX wrote:

And pets are not livestock headed to slaughter or auction.
Livestock are transported to places other than action/slaughter; how do you think they get to fairs, farm shows, rodeos, sheepdog trials & demonstrations, other grazing locations (proscribed grazing projects), equestrian events, etc.

Agree. they got to travel somehow. Wonder how they think Sea Biscuit got to The Derby?????? Think he ran all the way? or rode in a Lincoln Town Car. Nope it was a horse trailer.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a trailer designed to transport dog, not livestock.

https://www.alumline.com/products/dog-boxes-and-trailers/dog-trailers

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Some of you may find this educational others appalling
How to transport a sled dog team
https://turningheadskennel.com/transporting-sled-dogs/

The helicopter made me burst out laughing - and here I was proud that I got my dogs to ride in *elevators*....ROFL!!!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Pets riding in trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS