cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pets riding in trailer

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are currently fostering a new small dog. We have only had her two days so far. She was a mess but has been groomed and treated by the Vet. She likes being in a crate BUT she is barley warming up to our current dog. he is four times her size but when she barks at him he wants to crawl in a hole. And the new little precious does not like Cats or out cat anyway.

We have a 30 foot toy hauler when we travel I usually have the big dog in a crate that it can go in and out of in the the truck with the seat folded down and the cat is in a crate on top of that one.

I was wondering to keep the peace if it would be OK to let the new dog ride in a secured crate in the garage of the Toy Hauler when towing?

Maybe once they get to know each other it will be a moot point...

What are your thoughts.
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
38 REPLIES 38

dturm
Obviously a difference of opinion. I don't think there is much left to discuss so we'll close it before if deteriorates further.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
joelc wrote:
Let's put it this way. Are you a parent that would let your kids ride in the trailer? Dogs have the mental capacity of a 2 year old human.

My HUMAN children are NOT dogs. There is NO comparison. Dogs are dogs, and People are people. Many try to humanize pets. But they are still just animals.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it's less a question about "CAN A dog ride in the trailer" as it is "SHOULD THIS dog ride in the trailer".

A well adjusted dog will handle it just fine. In the OP's case, the dog has health issues and is new to the family. Riding alone in the trailer could be upsetting for it and could create trauma.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
It’s difficult for one to know the ride dogs have in different locations )crated on the floor of a vehicle, bed of pick-up, floor of a motor home, floor of a trailer, etc) when ones point of reference is sitting on a foam seat.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let's put it this way. Are you a parent that would let your kids ride in the trailer? Dogs have the mental capacity of a 2 year old human.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be afraid of the heat inside the camper while traveling. If it is ninety degrees outside the inside temp in the camper could be too much for a dog. Also being by himself listening to the noise inside the camper while traveling could be traumatizing for the dog. Too much of a risk I think.
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
The back of an rv is not the same type of trailer or ride as a trailer that is used to transport animals. We have a motorhome, different type of rv, but I can tell you I have gotten up a couple times and went to the back to use the restroom while going down the road and it was not a nice ride back there. Nothing like the ride in the front of the motorhome. If I wouldn't want to ride there, my pet won't ride there either.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
That is a gorgeous mare!! Clearly you show her.....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
My horse is not on the way to slaughter.:B She is in a wedding

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
Some of you may find this educational others appalling
How to transport a sled dog team
https://turningheadskennel.com/transporting-sled-dogs/

The helicopter made me burst out laughing - and here I was proud that I got my dogs to ride in *elevators*....ROFL!!!!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a trailer designed to transport dog, not livestock.

https://www.alumline.com/products/dog-boxes-and-trailers/dog-trailers
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
BCSnob wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
And pets are not livestock headed to slaughter or auction.
Livestock are transported to places other than action/slaughter; how do you think they get to fairs, farm shows, rodeos, sheepdog trials & demonstrations, other grazing locations (proscribed grazing projects), equestrian events, etc.

Agree. they got to travel somehow. Wonder how they think Sea Biscuit got to The Derby?????? Think he ran all the way? or rode in a Lincoln Town Car. Nope it was a horse trailer.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
And pets are not livestock headed to slaughter or auction.
Livestock are transported to places other than action/slaughter; how do you think they get to fairs, farm shows, rodeos, sheepdog trials & demonstrations, other grazing locations (proscribed grazing projects), equestrian events, etc.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
It would be a last resort to have any of our pets ride in a crate in garage of our Toy Hauler. This little rescue dog is with us. It was literally at deaths door. We are it's last stop. There is no giving it back.

We will work out the riding situation in the truck. Who knows maybe in a few months they will all be riding in the same crate...

I think it is great you rescued the dog. What you are saying above is really the best solution. Dogs are different than livestock and the way we show them love and affection comes back threefold. I am sure with time, love and patience he will come around.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023