Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Pets riding in trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Pets riding in trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are currently fostering a new small dog. We have only had her two days so far. She was a mess but has been groomed and treated by the Vet. She likes being in a crate BUT she is barley warming up to our current dog. he is four times her size but when she barks at him he wants to crawl in a hole. And the new little precious does not like Cats or out cat anyway.

We have a 30 foot toy hauler when we travel I usually have the big dog in a crate that it can go in and out of in the the truck with the seat folded down and the cat is in a crate on top of that one.

I was wondering to keep the peace if it would be OK to let the new dog ride in a secured crate in the garage of the Toy Hauler when towing?

Maybe once they get to know each other it will be a moot point...

What are your thoughts.

2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as I know it is against the law and also dangerous.

1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well for people it is but not sure that applies to pets? People trailer horses, cows all kinds of animals.

2scootn

Covington, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a unique and tough situation when they all don't quite get along yet. Personally, I would be hesitant to put a dog back there just based on the ride alone. I would think it to be a lot rougher of a ride in the back part of the trailer rather than up in the cab of the truck. Also sounds stressful when they're already probably a bit stressed from going into foster care.

Just my two cents - best of luck to you and safe travels.

FrankoToo

New Braunfels, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Technically you could do it but I'm not sure how comfortable of a ride it's going to be for the new little one. She could get bounced around pretty good in the back of the trailer. Not to mention temp in the trailer, etc. while on the road. Being a foster, it could be a little traumatizing. JMO.

FrankoToo
2012 Heartland Cyclone 3612 HD
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as the crate is secured and nothing can fall on it or hit it I see no problem. Farmers and Ranchers use trailers to move all types of animals. Your trailer is probably cooler, quieter and smoother than a stock hauler.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just looking for feed back. To see if it was possible. The dog would be in a crate. The crate would be secured with tie downs on the floor. I would not let pets travel back there if it was too hot or cold.

We don't have any trips planned for a month I am hoping everybody will learn to get along. Or it's going to seem like the Amazon jungle inside the cab of the truck.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about I put the kids back there?

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The following states do allow you to ride in a travel trailer. However, each one has a different description of what kind of RV qualifies, so check your local laws.

Arizona
Arkansas
California
District of Columbia
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana (fifth-wheel only)
Nebraska
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania (fifth-wheel only)
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
West Virginia
Wisconsin (fifth-wheel only)

2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why dont you ask the folks at the shelter where you were getting the new addition. They may know the dog a little better.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Pets riding in trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS