Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Possibly upgrading from TT to Class A
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Possibly upgrading from TT to Class A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
George3037

Central Square, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Considering upgrading from a 32' TT w/ 2 slides to a Class A Allegro Bay 35DA MH. I have found what seems to be a good deal on a 2002 Tiffin Allegro Bay model 35DA. Selling price is under NADA low retail. Owner is local to me (under 80 miles away) and has sent me many pics and original dealer invoice with options. It is built on the workhorse chassis and has the 8.1 Vortec and Allison, 5500W Onan gen set, leveling jacks, dome sat. dish plus orig. batwing ant, new HW heater, only 60K miles, LR and BR slides. Claims to have no roof leaks.

Owner is currently on vacation with his new MH and I'll be going to look at it next week.

I'll be checking all inside and out functions to make sure everything works. Check for any soft floors etc. Also checking all fluids, belts, hoses, antifreeze, tires, looking for leaks underneath.

Anyone have a MH with the workhorse chassis w/8.1 and Allison? Anything I should be aware of or look for.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I loved that combination on my coach. The engine and transmission worked well together and had plenty of power in the Western mountains. The engine is thirsty so expect somewhere around 8MPG on flat land while towing.
Look to make sure that the brake recall was completed but that was so many years ago I am sure it was done. Hopefully the owner will have all service records.
I bought one coach under the same circumstances and I got a great deal. The owner got tired of paying on two loans, two insurance payments, and storage fees. The owner had to write a $9,000 check to get out from under the loan and accept my offer.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best suggestion I can make is to use the week to find the best local Mechanic for the drivetrain, and the best RV tech for the house, in your area to examine every square inch of the unit. It wont be perfect, years and miles take their tolls on all of us, but their cost will likely be offset in what additional bargaining power you will have after their exams.

George3037

Central Square, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for both your input. I am a retired mechanic so know what to look and listen for mechanically. I've also owned 4 TT's over the past 40 years and have a good knowledge of them too.
I was figuring MPG would be around 6-8 not towing. If purchased I don't expect to tow a car so I'd be happy to see 8 MPG or better.
Title is free and clear of liens and if I buy would not need to finance.
Owner has all service records.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had great results having Brazels retune my 8.1L engine ECM for the Western mountains. There was an immediate increase in HP and performance and the transmission down shifted a lot less. It did not increase my gas mileage altho Brazels can tune for a little bit better mileage.

George3037

Central Square, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

I had great results having Brazels retune my 8.1L engine ECM for the Western mountains. There was an immediate increase in HP and performance and the transmission down shifted a lot less. It did not increase my gas mileage altho Brazels can tune for a little bit better mileage.

Good to know. I had a programmer in a previous diesel truck set for towing that increased HP/TQ and gave an extra 2MPG. Gas engines don't usually respond that favorable for the cost of the tune.

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you mentioned the roof satellite receiver for TV, be aware that unless the current owners have upgraded it someplace along the line that it will probably not be usable without replacing the whole unit as we found out. But, it seems that we find acceptable OTA TV about 97% of the time and therefore get along fine without satellite TV.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

George3037

Central Square, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/19 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trackrig wrote:

Since you mentioned the roof satellite receiver for TV, be aware that unless the current owners have upgraded it someplace along the line that it will probably not be usable without replacing the whole unit as we found out. But, it seems that we find acceptable OTA TV about 97% of the time and therefore get along fine without satellite TV.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I don't have any satellite subscriptions and would only use OTA TV anyway.

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

I loved that combination on my coach. The engine and transmission worked well together and had plenty of power in the Western mountains. The engine is thirsty so expect somewhere around 8MPG on flat land while towing.

Agree whole heartedly! However on our 38 footer wish I could get 8 MPG. We're lucky to get much over 7!

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best to inspect on a hot day. Slow roof and window leaks will get water inside the ceiling and walls and often do not show obvious stains. If it has that "old RV stink", it's been leaking. Wet insulation and wood is where that smell comes from. Most obvious when hot.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Possibly upgrading from TT to Class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS