Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Do we or don't we?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Do we or don't we?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^ all I do is travel, that's the only reason I purchased my rig,currently in northern Vermont for a few days the heading to Colorado to check out Eartroamer RVs.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

come out to approximately 3500 miles per month.

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

js218 wrote:

I spend about $1500 - 1700 on fuel per month,average 6.5 - 7 mpg.

What? We average about 7 mpg. We've spent about $2K since April and we've driven about 4,000 miles . . . that's about $400/month.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^July 3800 mile, so far this month 2000 miles.

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purchased the rig to travel, 500 mile days 6 -7 times a month no problem, rig wad built to be driven and provide all my needs that's why I had it built.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Wife's health issue have been somewhat serious, mine haven't been a non issue either. She may be heading toward medical disability, it's that's serious.

I make a decent income, no pension or post retirement health insurance. Too little saved, but have some resources.

Newer F150 and 2019 TT paid off. Generally marketable house mortgage about 1/2 paid off.

Suggestions, thoughts, honest opinions?

Yes just do it, but wait till your 62 and draw early S.S, If your wife draws disability she might get Medicare and if your S.S is low enough you could get almost free healthcare going thru your state program..

Just do it and have fun..

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

How long have you been full timing?

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That just means that they are moving all of the time instead of stopping to enjoy an area. We are starting our trek to Mesa, AZ from south of Olympia, WA tomorrow - about 1500 miles and it will take us 5-6 weeks! We get 8.75 mpg (has stayed steady for over 16 years), so less than 200 gallons. Even with high CA prices, that will be less than $800 for the 6 weeks. This summer, we have moved every 2 weeks, (less than 50 miles for most moves) on one tank of fuel (100 gallons) or less than $100/month.

The budget of $3500 is what I would consider reasonable. Not over extravagant, but you would be comfortable while you are traveling. We were able to take early retirement because our retiree benefits included FULL medical coverage at no cost to us until we turned 65 and that plan is now our Medicare supplement so the only thing we ever pay for is $20/90 supply of any medication. We couldn't have had such a comfortable retirement without it.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh

I have been retired for one year (I'm 63 now). Not because I wanted to retire; because employers here would rather hire cheap, young computer programmers from India. Anyway, I have savings to live on and I can postpone taking Social Security for another 5 years or so. You might consider disposing of all your assets here and living in Latin America cheaply for a few years. I may give that a try. The cost of living is much lower. Medical services are good in the large cities there and much cheaper. When you hit Medicare age you can come back to fulltime in an RV in the US. Unless you like it there too much.

Steve

* This post was edited 08/19/19 11:08am by DallasSteve *

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/19 11:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter wrote:

timmac wrote:

How long have you been full timing?

I am not a full timer yet and may never be, but if the OPer is desiring it than he should make the leap and do it..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Do we or don't we?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS