cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vanhool 45’ Electric Motorcoach. For the conversion crowd.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe of interest to the bus conversion crowd. 45 foot straight electric motorcoach.

https://www.proterra.com/vehicles/proterra-powered-vehicles/coach-bus/
13 REPLIES 13

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
With the big vehicles and the big power transfers required I could see parking precise enough for some buss bars, and a sensor to turn on the power when hooked up.
Some use a reverse pantograph that would come down at one or more of the normal stops on the bus route.

Charging on the open road as an RV would be a much bigger effort and time commitment at this point in time.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I like the intercity concept.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the big vehicles and the big power transfers required I could see parking precise enough for some buss bars, and a sensor to turn on the power when hooked up.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
DrewE wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
The school bus option is interesting. That would be a good option for electric drivetrain.

Even in rural areas, most bus routes are capped at around an hour, so even a 60 mile range gives you sufficient capacity. Then the bus goes back to a yard where it can be plugged in to top up before the next run. If you are worried about longer range field trips, keep 5-10% of the fleet as diesel to cover that need.

The other big advantage for school busses (and, for that matter, city transit busses) is that there is a lot of starting and stopping, and regenerative braking is pretty easy to implement on an electric vehicle, so you can gain a good bit of additional efficiency that way--and lower wear on the mechanical brakes at the same time. An RV usually is driven in exactly the opposite sort of conditions, with longish highway travel segments and stop-and-go driving avoided.

way2roll wrote:
I see wireless charging coming into the mix. A pad you simply park over and it charges your car/RV. Same principal as the charging pads for phones and devices now. Saves on space and aesthetically would look better. Fast forward to charging pads embedded in highways - charge while you travel.

Wireless charging tends to be comparatively inefficient (at least when compared with a wire connection), which is not too much of a concern for the few watts a phone or razor or toothbrush needs but starts to be more so for a vehicle that needs a few orders of magnitude more power. Also, having a high-power inductive coil in the floor is not always a great idea from a safety point of view; it could turn into an inductive cooktop if you happen to drop a wrongly-shaped wrench on it, and there would be sizable magnetic fields to wreck havoc with stuff.

Maybe a reasonable alternative would be the overhead roof contact and conductive floor like they use for bumper cars.

That is some interesting info and perspective. Thanks.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
The school bus option is interesting. That would be a good option for electric drivetrain.

Even in rural areas, most bus routes are capped at around an hour, so even a 60 mile range gives you sufficient capacity. Then the bus goes back to a yard where it can be plugged in to top up before the next run. If you are worried about longer range field trips, keep 5-10% of the fleet as diesel to cover that need.

The other big advantage for school busses (and, for that matter, city transit busses) is that there is a lot of starting and stopping, and regenerative braking is pretty easy to implement on an electric vehicle, so you can gain a good bit of additional efficiency that way--and lower wear on the mechanical brakes at the same time. An RV usually is driven in exactly the opposite sort of conditions, with longish highway travel segments and stop-and-go driving avoided.

way2roll wrote:
I see wireless charging coming into the mix. A pad you simply park over and it charges your car/RV. Same principal as the charging pads for phones and devices now. Saves on space and aesthetically would look better. Fast forward to charging pads embedded in highways - charge while you travel.

Wireless charging tends to be comparatively inefficient (at least when compared with a wire connection), which is not too much of a concern for the few watts a phone or razor or toothbrush needs but starts to be more so for a vehicle that needs a few orders of magnitude more power. Also, having a high-power inductive coil in the floor is not always a great idea from a safety point of view; it could turn into an inductive cooktop if you happen to drop a wrongly-shaped wrench on it, and there would be sizable magnetic fields to wreck havoc with stuff.

Maybe a reasonable alternative would be the overhead roof contact and conductive floor like they use for bumper cars.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
way2roll wrote:
Reisender wrote:
way2roll wrote:
The requirements for a bus and an RV are vastly different. While this may work to transport people intra city travel, outfitting it with stove, water heater, outlets, TV's, lights, etc etc for an RV would change the requirements so significantly that probably makes "converting" the way it is too expensive.

I do like the progression on this though. We may very well see in a few years, viable electric mh's.

Agreed. I think it will start with busses like this and for the B class motorhomes it will start with vehicles like the Mercedes E vans. Charging infrastructure will need to adapt as well. Pull thru spots etc.

I noticed some of the latest DCFC chargers in our area are parallel parking affairs. That would work for a 22 foot E Van type Motorhome.

Should be an interesting decade.

No time to look now but it seems to me one of the German manufacturers (maybe BMW) was playing around with this. Neat idea.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Reisender wrote:
way2roll wrote:
The requirements for a bus and an RV are vastly different. While this may work to transport people intra city travel, outfitting it with stove, water heater, outlets, TV's, lights, etc etc for an RV would change the requirements so significantly that probably makes "converting" the way it is too expensive.

I do like the progression on this though. We may very well see in a few years, viable electric mh's.

Agreed. I think it will start with busses like this and for the B class motorhomes it will start with vehicles like the Mercedes E vans. Charging infrastructure will need to adapt as well. Pull thru spots etc.

I noticed some of the latest DCFC chargers in our area are parallel parking affairs. That would work for a 22 foot E Van type Motorhome.

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
way2roll wrote:

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Our local transit system took delivery of 3 of their shorter transit buses, so far seem to be working well. Built in South Carolina.
-- Chris Bryant

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
I'll take my Series 60 Detroit diesel burner any day
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II

With operating ranges topping out (with the extra large battery pack) at around 200 miles, use as an RV seems pretty questionable.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
This says it all....

"For clean, quiet and comfortable intercity travel"
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB