Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: roof air
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
choppermtn

pigeon forge , tn

New Member

Joined: 08/13/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/15/19 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the info

oldave

Tx

Full Member

Joined: 06/19/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 08/16/19 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Chris Bryant wrote:

Yours is going to take a very specific replacement, depending on what you have. It is lag screwed in, instead of bolts. Here is a picture from one of the training power points showing a Newmar install.

[image]


NOTICE that gasket that goes between the 2 roof holes. THAT gasket is critical for correct operation. It separates the Intake hot air from the cold exhaust air and if not installed or installed incorrectly, you will not get adequate cold air output. The Lag bolts are installed into a wood/aluminum backer plate. Just make sure you measure and drill the 4 holes in the New AC mount pan, exactly where the original ones were, Do NOT over tighten the lag bolts or you can strip them out of the Aluminum plate. Doug



Something new to me , never seen that design .

Those lag bolts , are they from the roof or from inside the coach .
Drilling holes in the new a/c pan sounds like from roof
Couldn't tell for sure from the picture .

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/16/19 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oldave wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

Chris Bryant wrote:

Yours is going to take a very specific replacement, depending on what you have. It is lag screwed in, instead of bolts. Here is a picture from one of the training power points showing a Newmar install.

[image]


NOTICE that gasket that goes between the 2 roof holes. THAT gasket is critical for correct operation. It separates the Intake hot air from the cold exhaust air and if not installed or installed incorrectly, you will not get adequate cold air output. The Lag bolts are installed into a wood/aluminum backer plate. Just make sure you measure and drill the 4 holes in the New AC mount pan, exactly where the original ones were, Do NOT over tighten the lag bolts or you can strip them out of the Aluminum plate. Doug



Something new to me , never seen that design .

Those lag bolts , are they from the roof or from inside the coach .
Drilling holes in the new a/c pan sounds like from roof
Couldn't tell for sure from the picture .


When you state you have never seen that design. WHAT is your qualification to state that? THAT design has been on Newmar's for over 25 years. Airstream uses a similar mount. Tiffin has used that type mount for almost 15 years. Jayco uses that type mount(top down) used that type on some of their models. ANY RV unit that has NO 14 inch square inside duct cover access will have top mounted system. That pic is on top the roof. Doug

Two Jayhawks

Lenexa Kansas

Senior Member

Joined: 03/17/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/16/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

choppermtn wrote:

Thanks everyone for the info


Also, my lag bolt heads are covered in silicone requiring removing silicone to remove lag bolts. Since it came that way from Newmar I reinstalled new silicone after tightening bolts.


Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 2014 Ford Edge
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone



dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/16/19 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two Jayhawks wrote:

choppermtn wrote:

Thanks everyone for the info


Also, my lag bolt heads are covered in silicone requiring removing silicone to remove lag bolts. Since it came that way from Newmar I reinstalled new silicone after tightening bolts.


Yes, you can do that. What I do is, after installing the lag bolts, I remove and inject silicone into the hole then reinstall the Lag bolts. There is no need to install Silicone over the top of the bolt when you do this. Doug

oldave

Tx

Full Member

Joined: 06/19/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 08/17/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:


When you state you have never seen that design. WHAT is your qualification to state that? THAT design has been on Newmar's for over 25 years. Airstream uses a similar mount. Tiffin has used that type mount for almost 15 years. Jayco uses that type mount(top down) used that type on some of their models. ANY RV unit that has NO 14 inch square inside duct cover access will have top mounted system. That pic is on top the roof. Doug


WHAT is my qualification ?
Well how simply can I say it ?
All of my RVs so far have been the kind that bolt from
below and I haven't gone around asking other people
how does you air cond bolt to your roof .
Ray

wrgrs50s

Scurry, Tx

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/17/19 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oldave wrote:

dougrainer wrote:


When you state you have never seen that design. WHAT is your qualification to state that? THAT design has been on Newmar's for over 25 years. Airstream uses a similar mount. Tiffin has used that type mount for almost 15 years. Jayco uses that type mount(top down) used that type on some of their models. ANY RV unit that has NO 14 inch square inside duct cover access will have top mounted system. That pic is on top the roof. Doug


WHAT is my qualification ?
Well how simply can I say it ?
All of my RVs so far have been the kind that bolt from
below and I haven't gone around asking other people
how does you air cond bolt to your roof .
Ray


Doug, your response to this gentleman was very rude. He simply stated he had never seen this type of installation, as I have not either. We are all on this site for learning not for unwarranted sarcasm.


Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Two Jayhawks

Lenexa Kansas

Senior Member

Joined: 03/17/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/17/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Two Jayhawks wrote:

choppermtn wrote:

Thanks everyone for the info


Also, my lag bolt heads are covered in silicone requiring removing silicone to remove lag bolts. Since it came that way from Newmar I reinstalled new silicone after tightening bolts.


Yes, you can do that. What I do is, after installing the lag bolts, I remove and inject silicone into the hole then reinstall the Lag bolts. There is no need to install Silicone over the top of the bolt when you do this. Doug


I like your method better. I've had to go up & re tighten my bolts but didn't remove them. Removing bolt & squirting silicone in the hole would also maybe keep me from having to re tighten down the road. [emoticon]

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/18/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wrgrs50s wrote:

oldave wrote:

dougrainer wrote:


When you state you have never seen that design. WHAT is your qualification to state that? THAT design has been on Newmar's for over 25 years. Airstream uses a similar mount. Tiffin has used that type mount for almost 15 years. Jayco uses that type mount(top down) used that type on some of their models. ANY RV unit that has NO 14 inch square inside duct cover access will have top mounted system. That pic is on top the roof. Doug


WHAT is my qualification ?
Well how simply can I say it ?
All of my RVs so far have been the kind that bolt from
below and I haven't gone around asking other people
how does you air cond bolt to your roof .
Ray


Doug, your response to this gentleman was very rude. He simply stated he had never seen this type of installation, as I have not either. We are all on this site for learning not for unwarranted sarcasm.


I asked the question because there are a LOT of so called Mobile RV Techs and even Service center techs on these forums that think they know everything. From his statement, I wanted to know his expertise. He stated he is a layman. My question was NOT rude. It asked a specific question and he responded. As I stated, there are NUMEROUS OEM's that use the top down bolt/lag method. IF you go to a Service Tech and he states he has never seen a top down method, then do not let him do the job. ALWAYS ask if they have done such a job before. I have repaired numerous Newmars/Airstreams and Tiffins over the years after a unskilled so called Tech did not install the separator between the intake and exhaust on top bolted AC units. Doug

oldave

Tx

Full Member

Joined: 06/19/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 08/19/19 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wrgrs50s wrote:


Doug, your response to this gentleman was very rude. He simply stated he had never seen this type of installation, as I have not either. We are all on this site for learning not for unwarranted sarcasm.


Well I'm not the first or only.

I don't care to be offended that easily more important things
in my life .

Btw I don't remember stating I am a layman

Ray

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS