cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

roof air

choppermtn
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace my roof air . I have replaced one before but this one is ducted and has no access from the inside of coach How do I remove the roof unit to replace it?
19 REPLIES 19

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
wrgrs50s wrote:

Doug, your response to this gentleman was very rude. He simply stated he had never seen this type of installation, as I have not either. We are all on this site for learning not for unwarranted sarcasm.

Well I'm not the first or only.

I don't care to be offended that easily more important things
in my life .

Btw I don't remember stating I am a layman

Ray

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
wrgrs50s wrote:
oldave wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

When you state you have never seen that design. WHAT is your qualification to state that? THAT design has been on Newmar's for over 25 years. Airstream uses a similar mount. Tiffin has used that type mount for almost 15 years. Jayco uses that type mount(top down) used that type on some of their models. ANY RV unit that has NO 14 inch square inside duct cover access will have top mounted system. That pic is on top the roof. Doug

WHAT is my qualification ?
Well how simply can I say it ?
All of my RVs so far have been the kind that bolt from
below and I haven't gone around asking other people
how does you air cond bolt to your roof .
Ray

Doug, your response to this gentleman was very rude. He simply stated he had never seen this type of installation, as I have not either. We are all on this site for learning not for unwarranted sarcasm.

I asked the question because there are a LOT of so called Mobile RV Techs and even Service center techs on these forums that think they know everything. From his statement, I wanted to know his expertise. He stated he is a layman. My question was NOT rude. It asked a specific question and he responded. As I stated, there are NUMEROUS OEM's that use the top down bolt/lag method. IF you go to a Service Tech and he states he has never seen a top down method, then do not let him do the job. ALWAYS ask if they have done such a job before. I have repaired numerous Newmars/Airstreams and Tiffins over the years after a unskilled so called Tech did not install the separator between the intake and exhaust on top bolted AC units. Doug

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Two Jayhawks wrote:
choppermtn wrote:
Thanks everyone for the info

Also, my lag bolt heads are covered in silicone requiring removing silicone to remove lag bolts. Since it came that way from Newmar I reinstalled new silicone after tightening bolts.

Yes, you can do that. What I do is, after installing the lag bolts, I remove and inject silicone into the hole then reinstall the Lag bolts. There is no need to install Silicone over the top of the bolt when you do this. Doug

I like your method better. I've had to go up & re tighten my bolts but didn't remove them. Removing bolt & squirting silicone in the hole would also maybe keep me from having to re tighten down the road. :S
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
oldave wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

When you state you have never seen that design. WHAT is your qualification to state that? THAT design has been on Newmar's for over 25 years. Airstream uses a similar mount. Tiffin has used that type mount for almost 15 years. Jayco uses that type mount(top down) used that type on some of their models. ANY RV unit that has NO 14 inch square inside duct cover access will have top mounted system. That pic is on top the roof. Doug

Ray

Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

Ray

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Two Jayhawks wrote:
choppermtn wrote:

Also, my lag bolt heads are covered in silicone requiring removing silicone to remove lag bolts. Since it came that way from Newmar I reinstalled new silicone after tightening bolts.

Yes, you can do that. What I do is, after installing the lag bolts, I remove and inject silicone into the hole then reinstall the Lag bolts. There is no need to install Silicone over the top of the bolt when you do this. Doug

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
choppermtn wrote:

Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
oldave wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
Yours is going to take a very specific replacement, depending on what you have. It is lag screwed in, instead of bolts. Here is a picture from one of the training power points showing a Newmar install.

NOTICE that gasket that goes between the 2 roof holes. THAT gasket is critical for correct operation. It separates the Intake hot air from the cold exhaust air and if not installed or installed incorrectly, you will not get adequate cold air output. The Lag bolts are installed into a wood/aluminum backer plate. Just make sure you measure and drill the 4 holes in the New AC mount pan, exactly where the original ones were, Do NOT over tighten the lag bolts or you can strip them out of the Aluminum plate. Doug

Something new to me , never seen that design .

Those lag bolts , are they from the roof or from inside the coach .
Drilling holes in the new a/c pan sounds like from roof
Couldn't tell for sure from the picture .

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
Yours is going to take a very specific replacement, depending on what you have. It is lag screwed in, instead of bolts. Here is a picture from one of the training power points showing a Newmar install.

NOTICE that gasket that goes between the 2 roof holes. THAT gasket is critical for correct operation. It separates the Intake hot air from the cold exhaust air and if not installed or installed incorrectly, you will not get adequate cold air output. The Lag bolts are installed into a wood/aluminum backer plate. Just make sure you measure and drill the 4 holes in the New AC mount pan, exactly where the original ones were, Do NOT over tighten the lag bolts or you can strip them out of the Aluminum plate. Doug

Something new to me , never seen that design .

Those lag bolts , are they from the roof or from inside the coach .
Drilling holes in the new a/c pan sounds like from roof
Couldn't tell for sure from the picture .

choppermtn
Explorer
Explorer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Chris Bryant wrote:

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer

-- Chris Bryant

choppermtn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 38ft. Newmar Mountain Air , ford chassis , v10.Dometic a/c now .

I think I saw the 4 bolts that you are referring to I just don't know if when they are removed anything will "fall" between the roof and ceiling making It near impossible to install the new unit . Are there any "tricks" anyone could share ?

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
choppermtn , you should give some info so someone can know what you

are working on . Tell us what brand of coach , year , make of a/c etc

You may even find a picture on line we could look at

What you described does not sound like most coaches or at least like
anything I have seen .