Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: snowbirding
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are thinking of going south for a month this coming Feb. This would be our first time other than just passing through.We are looking for recommendations for a park but not the resort type. The following states are where we are thinking. Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and possibly the Florida panhandle. Also if near water the wife is concerned about our dog near alligators. Has anyone experienced any problem with them. I've tried reassuring her there wouldn't be as he'd be on a leash but of course I'm not speaking from experience

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I can comment on the dogs vs gators situation. I actually saw a coed walking her rat dog on a leash around Lake Alice which is on the University of Florida campus. A gator snatched the dog leash and all, they are VERY fast. But usually the dangerous time is around dusk (or dawn if you are an early riser) or at night; and mainly small dogs. But just this week there was a story where a women claimed her hundred pound dog was attacked by a gator. It would have to be a very big gator is all I can say.

Swimming dogs are at risk tho.

How likely is this? Not very it's like hearing about someone get hit by lightning. Our dogs are around water and we have never had a problem in 40 years. But we have never had small dogs.

But don't go swimming at night (especially for kids and small women) and don't walk your dogs along the water's edge then either. Keep in mind that if you are near a body of water in those areas then there are gators near by. But you will rarely see one in the day. The no hunting policy has worsened this situation.

Oh one one last thing DON"T EVER FEED the GATORS or be around areas where other people are doing that.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

dalenoel

S.E. Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to be near Mobile AL then in Theodore a very good park is "All About Relaxing". Great hosts and owners. Much to do in the area on the island and the battleship visits. All About Relaxing

* This post was edited 08/11/19 06:49pm by dalenoel *

03 Monaco 36PBD DP - 06 Malibu Maxx Toad (SOLD) 18 Focus Toad
08 Jayco Eagle 322FKS (SOLD)
Wife and myself, Lutheran Deacon, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't recall where in Florida this happened but about a year ago, there was a story of a woman walking her dog on a walkway near a pond and a gator grabbed the dog and pulled it in the water. The woman tried to save the dog and was pulled into the water too. Both the woman and dog died from being bitten and pulled under. Not an every day event obviously but sometimes crazy stuff happens.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do understand that it can be cold there too? Maybe not Muskegon cold but 30's or so. To get to actual warm/hot weather you need to be below Tampa. Granted, Feb. is close to being spring in those parts. Here in East TN I am mowing my lawn in March so you may luck out depending on mother nature and be blest with warm enough weather to enjoy yourselves.

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No way would we be going into Florida other than the panhandle

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hornet28 wrote:

Why not? We're planning on snowbirding in Florida this coming winter. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on why Florida is bad?

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 11:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've spent several winters in Florida, Alabama and Louisana if you have any sense it's easy to avoid gators. It's the snakes you be careful of.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

hornet28 wrote:

Why not? We're planning on snowbirding in Florida this coming winter. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on why Florida is bad?

Personal preference.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We enjoyed parks in the panhandle as well. There's a different feel in that part of Florida. We really didn't enjoy the W.Palm area at all. You spend most of the time waiting for the left turn signal. Sarasota was nice, but once again way too crowded.

FL parks have gotten a lot more crowded than when we did our Gulf Coast trip in 2015-2016. In general, the further south of I-4 you get, the more expensive it is and the less available the sites are.

In the panhandle- HoHum in Carabelle, Topsail Hill SP in Santa Rosa Beach. In MS, Buccaneer SP in Waveland.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS