cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Family hauler- HELP!

Campreadkayak
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at getting our first trailer and want a toy hauler. We want to stay on the smaller side since we'll be pulling it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It would need to sleep 2 adults and 2 kids and have room for a 4 person side by side.

Any recommendations? I have no idea what builders to stay away from, etc.
20 REPLIES 20

Campreadkayak
Explorer
Explorer
Ok leaning towards the Taxa Mantis. Let the research begin!

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
That is true as long as you adjust speed and distance for what you wish to tow. If you want tow the space shuttle, you can do it at reduced speeds.

Yep!

https://pictures.dealer.com/s/sonictoyotawest/1371/92e978a40a0d028a001c660012844d67.jpg
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Bedlam
That is true as long as you adjust speed and distance for what you wish to tow. If you want tow the space shuttle, you can do it at reduced speeds.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer

Bedlam
If you plan to keep the GC as your tow vehicle, take it across the scales with your family loaded up so you can see how much payload you have remaining for tongue weight. Although this is a good passenger carrying vehicle, I do not believe it has much towing capacity unless there is only one or two occupants inside.

Expect any type of toy hauler to have roughly 15 percent of the gross trailer weight on the tongue. Tongue weight may get slightly lighter with a heavy load in the back of the trailer, but not by much.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Campreadkayak
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, looks like its back to the drawing board.

dedmiston
Hi Campreadkayak. Welcome to the forums.

You aren't going to find a toy hauler big enough to fit a four-seater and small enough to be towed by a Jeep GC.

Since you're in New Mexico, you aren't too far from Houston where we found a mind-blowing selection of used pickup trucks. Check out https://www.texasdirectauto.com/for-sale/truck/ to find an affordable used tow vehicle. That's where I bought my truck a few years ago. They met us at the airport and brought us back to their showroom. We were in and out of there in less than an hour with our new (to us) RAM. We saved about $25k by flying there and driving the new truck back home.

Good luck!

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Because of what a TH is designed to do, most have the axles towards the rear for very heavy tongue weight. Add that to the short wheel base of the GC might not make a very good combination.

Y-Guy
Do check out the tongue weight of the trailer that gkainz posted, some previous ones had really high tongue weights. I was shocked when past members shared their experience with other brands. The weight shown is the dry ship weight.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking you're going to be limited to something perhaps like the popup toyhaulers ...

like this one https://www.thegreatoutdoorsrv.com/rockwood/282txr
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Mmaxed
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I've said it before, but here it is again. Wife has a Grand Cherokee. Nice little rig. I would not want to hook onto any toy hauler with it unless you call a 3 rail dirt bike trailer a toy hauler.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say you're asking the impossible with that tow vehicle. 4 seaters are VERY big.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Y-Guy
I agree with Dirtclods. I bought a new 23' Trailer went to hook up to our Chevy TrailBlazer, within all the specs, etc. But looking at it and towing home I knew right away I didn't like the feeling. Though my F150 wasn't as comfortable for the boys in the back, I felt a lot safer.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
My I suggust before you go buy anything, do you know anyone with a Toy Hauler you can hook up and pull it around town first that would include up a grade and down one. What it ~ (say's) you can tow is not always true. Anyone else feel free to chime in.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus