cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adjust brakes with drop axle??

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've adjusted brakes without problems on my trailers with straight axles. My little trailer has drop axles I guess to keep it close to the ground. The piece that makes the drop almost covers the brake adjuster slot. I don't see how to get at the cog with my bent screwdriver. Any suggestions?

14 REPLIES 14

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
What I actually did: I bought the brake adjuster spoon and put the trailer way up on jackstands. Couldn't find the adjuster wheel. Took the wheel off. Couldn't find the adjuster wheel. Took the hub off and tried to get the spoon on the wheel while actually looking at the wheel. Couldn't do it.

I pushed the adjuster a few clicks from the hub side and remounted the hub and wheel. It tested OK.

The next wheel, I did the same thing but when I put the hub back on it was way too tight. Backed off the adjustor about half way and it tested OK.

Two more brakes to go.

It's a long job and a real PITA. Guesswork and redo.

Good thing is that I had a chance to see that there's not enough grease in the bearing yet there was a little grease on the drums and magnet. Cleaned that.

Cotter pins were installed upside down so I flipped them.

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
As the ghost reply from yesterday said, try with the tire and rim removed. This will allow you to use a 90 degree bent spoon. Takes a bit longer but is do-able.
When I rebuilt my trailer and doubled up the frame I had to use drop axles to get away from that 'haul on logging roads' clearance look.
Art.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I should have said that this trailer is only 6 months old. It has about 2500 miles on it. I don't need to have the brakes inspected where I live. I had hoped that the brakes would be OK once they were broken in, but no. So I want to adjust them for the very first time.

Fortunately I have a one ton dually that has plenty of stopping power. Still, trailer brakes are there for a reason.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

Yes, there are some losers for inspection mechanics but it also is not hard to find good ones either.. Just have to weed out the bad ones.

I've been weeding out the bad ones for 57 years without much success. A new trailer, freshly inspected, was delivered to me with one brake never connected at the factory.

I do my own brake service and know what I have, so don't think or insinuate that I am lazy. How would you like to buy a used trailer, then completely service all four wheel assemblies then drive it 6 miles only to have a PA inspection station strip lugs, contaminate the new grease, adjust wheel bearings way too loose, toss your new cotter and install a new one that is so skinny it barely touches the nut? Just one example of the fine work that could kill people done by a highly recommended local shop. This is just one example, I could write a book.

But what is the point of this, we discussed it before and you will never agree.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've never heard of taking the drums off to adjust the brakes. Exactly how do you do it?

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
I can't imagine adjusting the brake shoes with the drums off, that would take a lot of trial and error adjustments and still won't give a true adjustment. The shoes should be adjusted till there is a lot of drag so that they are centered and then backed off till there is just a hint of drag.

I have had numerous PA state inspection stations foul up my vehicles and the guy that just looks in the hole is the one I would pay extra to leave my stuff alone. I show a photo to my current inspector and he knows that my vehicles are maintained, so no disassembly for me.

The drop axles, that are the purpose of this thread, can be adjusted with the right brake spoon or a homemade tool, it ain't rocket science.

It is easy peezy to adjust the brakes when the drums are off.

Should not HAVE to make much of an adjustment if you do this EVERY YEAR unless you are dragging your brakes or driving 30,000 miles per yr..

AND your "inspector" CAN lose his license and the Inspection station CAN BE FINED for fudging the inspection records..

Yes, there are some losers for inspection mechanics but it also is not hard to find good ones either.. Just have to weed out the bad ones.

I also NEVER LEAVE the trailer, I WATCH the inspection mechanic to verify things are put back correctly..

Drum brakes are not rocket science, been dealing with them since the 1970s when they were standard issue on cars and trucks on all four wheels.

Besides how do you really inspect the brake lining and other mechanical function wear if you NEVER remove the drums???

Don't tell me through that plug opening either, you cannot see the entire brake shoes, cannot look at all the surface, cannot see the wear or damage on the drum and worst of all never know if your bearings are set correctly or have enough grease if you are this lazy..

I am simply amazed at the great lengths folks go to to avoid pulling the drums, it is easier than trying to spoon your brakes and spooning CAN easily overtighten the brakes..

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine adjusting the brake shoes with the drums off, that would take a lot of trial and error adjustments and still won't give a true adjustment. The shoes should be adjusted till there is a lot of drag so that they are centered and then backed off till there is just a hint of drag.

I have had numerous PA state inspection stations foul up my vehicles and the guy that just looks in the hole is the one I would pay extra to leave my stuff alone. I show a photo to my current inspector and he knows that my vehicles are maintained, so no disassembly for me.

The drop axles, that are the purpose of this thread, can be adjusted with the right brake spoon or a homemade tool, it ain't rocket science.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
Take the DRUM off also, ESPECIALLY ON DROP AXLES.

That IS the ONLY way to get the brakes adjusted correctly.
----------------------------------------------------------
not true, adjusting thru the slot w/ a tool would probably be more accurate
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
Somebody suggested taking the tire off to give more room.

Take the DRUM off also, ESPECIALLY ON DROP AXLES.

That IS the ONLY way to get the brakes adjusted correctly.

YES, it does take additional time.

YES, it is messy.

YES, it works every single time with no special tools.

YES, this allows you to clean and inspect and regrease the bearings.

Besides, you SHOULD BE VISUALLY INSPECTING THE BRAKES YEARLY AT A MINIMUM.

Only adds 10-15 minutes per wheel to do it right every time.

In PA, we HAVE to have trailers over 3,001 lbs with brakes inspected yearly. Mechanic MUST pull one drum on each side as part of the inspection process.

One inspection station I went to only popped the plug and looked as best as they could through the plug opening at the brakes.. No way you can really get a good look at them so needless to say have never gone back to that place..

Why not do it yourself every year as part of your annual maintenance schedule?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Somebody suggested taking the tire off to give more room.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
DOUBLE POST
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
You probably need to adjust once a year at most,......adjust them when the drums are off for inspection,......just tighten till the drum just slides on.
Rich

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
They do make a brake spoon that will work, I think I have 4 from when I worked for a living.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Right after posting the question, I found this adjusting tool. I'm still not sure I could reach the cogs with it.