Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Determining a dogs age
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Determining a dogs age

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Aren't poodles and Bichons breeds that tend to live longer? My Aussiepoo is 11 and still silly and playful in spite of losing his sight to diabetes (he still insists on playing fetch!) And having a white muzzle - you don't see the graying that tends to give away some dogs' ages.

Clearly, you've done a great job of rehabbing your dog!!

I think little dogs generally do live longer. Some Bichons live well into their mid-to-late teens. And with them being white, you just don't see them graying.

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

It's pretty easy to tell up to about 1-2 years. Permanent Teeth have a pretty "fixed" eruption date, though it does vary a little. Adult teeth are all in and fully grown by a year. Wear starts at that point and varies greatly by diet and chewing habits. General health, diet genetics and habits cause so much variation that any guess at that point is just that - a guess.

Doug, DVM

Thanks, Dr. Doug. My DH will be thrilled to be vindicated, LOL. And I am happy because we might be able to enjoy this little doggy for longer than we thought.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We run into the age problem with our Kaylee. She was a stray off the street and being a terrier cross, she's "energetic." She's got terrible teeth, gum disease and we've done several cleanings since we got her. I'm guessing she is at least 10 but could be a lot older.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (10 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 2 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Traditionally rescue groups would say "2 to 5 years" for any dog (or cat) that isn't a puppy or definite senior - regardless of whether the actual age was known. Most folks didn't want senior dogs, so the 2-5 age bracket was part of the adoption game to get animals adopted.

Nowadays, it's not as hard to adopt older animals, so that doesn't happen as often. And with animal empathy stronger than ever, it is even a possibilty that an animal will be estimated as older to get the sympathy adoption.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

doxiemom11

Somewhere between MI and TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Japanese Chin is 15 and has only been turning whiter in the face the last couple of years. She is still very agile and playful and can run fast. She just sleeps more than she did when she was younger.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Determining a dogs age
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS