Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Short MH's
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

 > Short MH's

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/10/19 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone downsized to a Thor Vegas 25.6, Axis or any other Class A shorter than 27 ft with a full wall slide and been satisfied with their purchase? How is the ride? Any quality issues? Do you use a tow car?

craig7h

Branson MO area

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2002

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 08/11/19 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We downsized from a 35' 5th wheel 3 slides to a ACE 29.3. Now that's not your 25.6 Vegas but close. The ACE had a full body slide, I had no problems with that as long as you follow the mfg guidelines. The main one is NEVER stop the in or out operation until the slide is in the full in or out position. Then you still have to push the button for the motors to sync. but again that's really not a problem. As for towing I towed a KIA on a dolly no problem. For me the ride was not bad, quality of workmanship so, so.

With all that being said we made a mistake and downsized (for uus) to much. We were not comfortable with it on long trips of 3+ weeks. It was great for a week or so. We ended up trading for a older, bigger coach.


Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Lucyem

Atlantic

New Member

Joined: 09/16/2019

View Profile



Posted: 09/16/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are in the process of buying one. We choose it for the higher towing capability and small size. We tow a car on a flat bed to racing events.

FWIW We know someone who does the same with his axis. He had issues with the hitch. I don’t know all the specifics but he had to do some welding to repair and beef it up. It was the factory hitch and he had the same 8000lb rating. He does tow a car in a full box car trailer and I’m not sure about his weights.

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/16/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure but was told shorter the unit them more handling problems before you buy take one out for a good ride before you find out for sure. Not just around the block like a few company's do.


Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/16/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The axis is on the E450 chassis which will handle differently than the F53. The E/F450 is traditionally the platform for class C's. Thor decided to make a small Class A on it. The Axis does have an independent front suspension though and that should help the ride. It will also have a lower center of gravity which should help pitch and roll.

Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/20/19 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

The axis is on the E450 chassis which will handle differently than the F53. The E/F450 is traditionally the platform for class C's. Thor decided to make a small Class A on it. The Axis does have an independent front suspension though and that should help the ride. It will also have a lower center of gravity which should help pitch and roll.
Are you saying that because of the lower CG it should ride better than a Class C on the 450 chassis?

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/21/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

way2roll wrote:

The axis is on the E450 chassis which will handle differently than the F53. The E/F450 is traditionally the platform for class C's. Thor decided to make a small Class A on it. The Axis does have an independent front suspension though and that should help the ride. It will also have a lower center of gravity which should help pitch and roll.
Are you saying that because of the lower CG it should ride better than a Class C on the 450 chassis?


That's what I read on another forum. I have no personal experience.

Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/21/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Gjac wrote:

way2roll wrote:

The axis is on the E450 chassis which will handle differently than the F53. The E/F450 is traditionally the platform for class C's. Thor decided to make a small Class A on it. The Axis does have an independent front suspension though and that should help the ride. It will also have a lower center of gravity which should help pitch and roll.
Are you saying that because of the lower CG it should ride better than a Class C on the 450 chassis?


That's what I read on another forum. I have no personal experience.
This is interesting, with the IFS it should ride better than the solid front axle of the F53 chassis(that everyone complains about) also. Has anyone on here driven both and can comment on the ride?

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

Senior Member

Joined: 03/09/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/22/19 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This article on wheel base ratio may be of interest.
https://axleaddict.com/rvs/Why-RV-Wheel-Base-Ratio-Is-Important
As to how the handling may vary between the F53 chassis and the 450 chassis, I don't know.


2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 10/26/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/22/19 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scbwr wrote:

This article on wheel base ratio may be of interest.
https://axleaddict.com/rvs/Why-RV-Wheel-Base-Ratio-Is-Important


Hog wash! If you can't figure out why a coach handles poorly, blame it on the wheel base to chassis ratio.

I drive what is considered one of those foul handling coaches.
190" wheel base, 33' coach.
It drives and handles quite well. Get the chassis and steering right and they'll all drive well. Yes I still do part time work in the alignment business.

Richard


If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive,
they would eventually, find me attractive.

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

 > Short MH's
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS