cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does Your State Require a SBS

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Last week I ask for information regarding the Vehicle Codes from the members and I asked that editorial and personal opinion not be posted. I forgot that it is impossible to ask for something without most members having to editorialize. Sorry now that I ask. On Thursday I decided I was fed up with the editorial and said that post would be my last until I could get Chapter and Verse from our CHP. Well today I asked and they were too busy to give me C&V but the officer that conducts the lite weight truck inspections did say that the law was changed from a brake performance test to a specific weight. Now the towing of trailers (1500 lbs or More) and all motorized vehicles (1500 lbs or more) whether four down, dolly or trailered must have SBS. It is logical that recreational towing of motorized vehicles is no different than towing trailers of 1500 lbs or more in regards to stopping.

I do not know when the law changed and it seems the CHP doesn't either, but now that I do know the LAW as it is stated in the Vehicle Code, I will replace the SBS that was stolen from my towed while it was parked at my home. I've been towing a Sidekick and at 2700 lbs was pretty east to control but the Grand Vitara I bought to replace the Sidekick when it ate a couple of valves, is much heavier and seeing as how our camping days or restricted to at least the week before Thanksgiving, I have plenty of time to conform to the law.

I would like to know the laws in the other 48 states I'm not aware of but it's not worth the insults and such that some of you feel is your right to state. I guess it is, constitutionally, but not morally

There is a huge amount of information on States that require Supplemental Braking Systems on Toweds. It is really hard to know what is true or maybe a little bend in the truth. I know for a fact that California does not specify when a SBS is required. What is said is that one may be required if you cannot stop your RV within a specific distance at a specific speed.

I have quoted chapter and verse in the past but no longer have that information, it is, however, in the archives of the Forums.

What does your state require and can you provide code giving the specifics. No need to quote the code, just enough information that any member could find it on line.

Please no editorials on whether or not they are needed or what you have installed for your rig, or what you think your state requires. As Joe Friday used to say, "the facts Mam, just the facts".
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
38 REPLIES 38

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
IB853347201 wrote:
Why does this matter and who cares?
Its just irresponsible to tow a vehicle without a supplemental braking system in place.
Just do the right thing and you won't have to worry about it.

x2
just looking for excuses to save $3000. but need a break away feature.
bumpy

Agreed. When I bought my coach 15 years ago I immediately installed a SBS without doing any investigation into the law. It just makes sense.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another point of view;
Considering the current demands for the safest possible equipment, and the current desire to file a lawsuit for nearly anything, isn't it likely that if the Insurance Institute For Highway Safety thought that in any way a braking system on a towed vehicle was absolutely necessary for safety, they would be demanding that all states pass a law requiring one, and the existing ones available would be required to be tested and given the Good Housekeeping or IIHS or CR Seal Of Approval?
No way would insurance companies pass up an opportunity like that!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can we look at this from another POV? Say a MH has GVWR of 22,000 lbs. Loaded and ready to go, the GVW is 26,000. How many of you will argue this is a perfectly safe situation? Reasonably safe? Safe enough? If this vehicle ran into your kid, was the driver negligent?

Now does it matter that the extra 4,000 is riding on extra wheels?

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:

And I drove my Wrangler ALL over Utah....no ticket. Lots and lots of fenderless Jeeps there and no one was pulled over....j/s.

WW

and this proves what? lazy cops
bumpy

Probably not. I was being glib. I am sure if you look like you need to be pulled over the 50% fender rule is a darn handy way to look in your Jeep and see if you doing something you shouldn't be....

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
MRUSA wrote:
IB853347201 wrote:
Its just irresponsible to tow a vehicle without a supplemental braking system in place.

I agree completely.

If you read all the comments you might realize the OP was hoping to have one thread with links to all the state laws so newbies can have an easy place to go when they wonder if they need brakes or not.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:

And I drove my Wrangler ALL over Utah....no ticket. Lots and lots of fenderless Jeeps there and no one was pulled over....j/s.

WW

and this proves what? lazy cops
bumpy

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
MRUSA wrote:
IB853347201 wrote:

I agree completely.

I completely disagree....FWIW....lol. I have one and use it sometimes, sometimes I do not. Never seen a towed vehicle breakaway, never seen my brake buddy do much of anything, really. It tells me when it brakes and it is so seldom....and only for a second. I set it up more aggressively one time and it is annoying and I am sure tearing the **** out of my Jeep....

I just love this subject......and the comments. If you get pulled over I am pretty sure no one will check. Only time I believe it would be an issue is if you kill someone. Then maybe there will be litigation to see if not having one would have made a difference.

I do not know why they call it common sense since we all have a different view.

And so you all know....I always drive whatever is posted as the speed limit...yes, 75mph....and I drive some crazy steep mountain passes multiple times a year....so....not flat.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
to muddy the waters, what are the requirements for tow dollys? I understand that some states require them to be licensed as a trailer and others don't require a license when a licensed vehicle is riding on one. what about brakes on them?
bumpy

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:

I agree completely.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
Wisconsin statute 340.01 (71):
"(71) โ€œTrailerโ€ means a vehicle without motive power
designed for carrying property or passengers wholly on its own
structure and for being drawn by a motor vehicle, but does not
include a mobile home."

A vehicle "without motive power designed for...being drawn by a motor vehicle" is a trailer. That description does not fit my Jeep.

When it's being towed it does not have its own "motive power" the engine is off. So it becomes a trailer. The statute is very clear. If it was as you say, then WI wouldn't have any Tourists with MH's!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom/Barb wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:

No such message in my owners manual ,, I simply say how much I can tow. (15.000#)

AS long as you are below your legal gross vehicles weight and legal in your home state the lawyer can touch you. (for that )

News Flash! Home state speed limit 80, speed limit where you at 55, 80 will get you big ticket. If your Blood alcohol is over the limit where you at, they don't care what it is at home. You legal towing 2 trailer at home, but the state you are in does not allow? You better have a plan, 'cause adjustments will be made. Over length?
Many do not understand, if your drivers license is good at home for the vehicle you are driving, then you have no DL issues. But if the vehicle is not legal in the state you have no right to drive it.
stay on topic speed limits have nothing to do with the OP's question.

states have reciprocal agreements that allow other state vehicles to operate legally .

I'm sorry, I thought the OP's question was directed to finding out where he or somebody else can tow his car without putting brakes on it. When the false idea "if your vehicle is legal in your home state it is legal in all states" is put out somebody needs disagree with it. On something like window tint, which regulations often change state to state, and enforcement city to city, taking a chance might make sense. But something as important as brakes, where if you don't have brakes in a state that requires them, and you are in a accident, you have problems.
The brakes on a vehicle are designed to stop the GVWR, plus some margin for safety. If your GCVWR is higher than your GVWR, your are driving in the margin.
Fact 1)A RV is very unlikely to be checked roadside to be certain he is compiling with safety laws.
Fact 2)A very high percentage of RVs travel state to state.
Fact 3)A certain percentage of RVers assume rules do not apply to them.
If you add 3 facts together, and the OP's question is on the level of "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck?" Responsible people will not worry about the laws, but put brakes on the Toad. Others will hunt for excuses not to.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here are the brake requirement laws for California:California brake requirement laws.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
mowermech wrote:
That's why, if you drive your Jeep to Moab, UT with large, wide tires that stick out beyond the fender flares, you just might get a ticket that requires you to fix it or park it.

That's laughable,, Have you ever been to Moab?

Off road Jeeps run the streets with tires that stick out a foot beyond the body, and there are no fenders.

I ran 31" X 1200 that were legal here and was never stopped by any other state.

I'm gone, you have no idea of the subject.

Yes, I have been to Moab several times, usually with the ROF group (Rubicon Owner's Forum), but occasionally independently. IIRC, one of our group actually got the ticket I described.
As for the braking system for towed vehicles, I did extensive research on the issue, looking up state laws, because I did not believe what companies that sold towing equipment were saying in their "List Of Towing Laws". I found that more often than not, they were completely wrong when they talked about braking requirements, towing length, trailer width, trailer length, towing two trailers, etc. when you compare what they say in their list to the laws of various states.

Is a braking system a "good idea"? Yes, of course.
Is it required by law? Probably not.
Has any system been tested by an independent testing agency (Consumer Reports, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, etc.)? Not that I am aware of.
Is any system approved for use in any state by the DOT of the state? Again, not that I am aware of. Seems like that would be an advertising ploy; "Approved for use in Washington State by the State DOT!"
IIRC, North Carolina specifies in State Codes that a braking system must be approved "by the Administrator". I haven't been able to find out which systems are approved. If any.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Okay that was my last comment until I get a copy of the law as it exists in the State of California.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II