cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nevada Hwy 50

dannymarie
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at crossing Nevada on Hwy 50 that goes from Carson City to Ely and into Utah. Has anyone driven that route and is it a good road? Understand it is "lonesome" and few towns but there seems to be lots of mountain passes. Are they a big problem? Part of a longer trip into California and Oregon. We're pulling a 27' fifth wheel.

Thanks.
Danny and Marie Clark
Belton, Texas

2015 Grand Design Reflection 27' Fifth Wheel.
22 REPLIES 22

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer
Fred_n_Jo wrote:
Last year we drove US Hwy 50 from the Atlantic beaches of Ocean City, MD to Sacramento, CA which is the west end of Rte 50. We then drove on west to the Pacific coast to complete our "sea to shining sea adventure." It took us 10 driving days to cover 3121 miles.

For the Nevada portion we camped in Ely and Carson City.

Way to go! A great adventure... a 'tip of the cap' to you.

Travelon
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we drove US Hwy 50 from the Atlantic beaches of Ocean City, MD to Sacramento, CA which is the west end of Rte 50. We then drove on west to the Pacific coast to complete our "sea to shining sea adventure." It took us 10 driving days to cover 3121 miles.

For the Nevada portion we camped in Ely and Carson City.
2017 Host Rainier Truck Camper
2015 F450 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC 4x4

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Do not drive US 50 at night. There can be a lot of livestock on the road. A lot of it is not fenced. You do not want to hit a cow or a horse that weighs over 1,000 pounds. Black Angus are common and really hard to see. Deer are common in the many mountain ranges.

we say a VERY large steer feet up on the side of the road last week out there. I couldn't help but wonder what the car that hit him looked like... Hope it wasn't a motorcycle.

East to West, we had a headwind the whole way. Nice drive for sure, we gassed up in Ely and with the headwind and the generator running the A/C, we were nearly at a quarter tank by the time we hit Fernley.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Not really that lonely."
Compared to where?
Try it in winter.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tough bike ride east to west -- the wind usually comes from the west or southwest, if I recall correctly.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do not drive US 50 at night. There can be a lot of livestock on the road. A lot of it is not fenced. You do not want to hit a cow or a horse that weighs over 1,000 pounds. Black Angus are common and really hard to see. Deer are common in the many mountain ranges.

caver
Nomad
Nomad
This is also the Western Express adventure cycling trail. A shorter cut off in Colorado to San Fransisco from the main route coast to coast. So if it's summer and you see some crazy bicyclist with saddlebags you now know why. If you have some sealed cold bottled water you might stop and offer it to them. I know it's a long run between water stops. Years ago I saw a young guy and knew that's what he was doing. I slowed down and he stopped. We chatted for probably 20 minutes. It was early morning and we had maybe one car go by while chatting. Some do this section at night depending on the heat. The kid was telling me as he got farther west he would just find a spot out of sight in the desert and pitch a tent.

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Beats the heck out of I80
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
royandlynne,
You must be thinking of Middlegate, the old stage stop. The Pony Express parallels Route 50. It only operated from 1860-1861. Keep an eye out for the route and the old stage stops.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Few places in America are more quiet. Stop and get out and look around anywhere along the route. Eureka is one of the best small towns around. Go in the basement of the Opera House and read the inscriptions made by performers over the years.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a secret shortcut and scenic drive route. After Fallon, you will come to a town called Middleton, watch for Hwy 722/2 on the right. Take it and it will eventually take you right back to Hwy 50 right before Austin. You do go over one summit and its even lonelier than 50 but its a nice drive.
The Desatoya Mountains Scenic Drive

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only grade of any note is just east of Austin, with a few climbing switchbacks. Not really a problem.
As others noted, gas up in Ely. The towns along the way have 1 or 2 stations, but may or may not be open, may or may not be able to maneuver a larger rig to the pumps, pay tourist prices...

Fallon is a large full service town with multiple fueling options. In between Ely and Fallon, no so much.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The mountain passes are not a problem -- the grades are gentle, not very twisty, fairly wide lanes on each side. I really enjoy towing on most of the two lane roads in Nevada -- very peaceful, great views, decent road surfaces (usually).
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy. It's our preferred route when heading to CA. Not really that lonely as there is a fair amount of traffic for being in the middle of no where. Just a long ways between towns. There are fuel stations at all the towns along the way. But not many 24 hour stations.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)