cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter for beach water

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Just came back from a short beach trip. The water was awful. Very strong metal/sulfur smell. A lot more than we have typically experienced. I did buy an inline filter for about $25 but it did not seem to help. I am sure many have been in this situation. What type filter can one get to get the Sulphur smell out of beach town water?
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
12 REPLIES 12

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
We always carry bottled water for consuming but we could not even bathe in this water it was so bad. We used tank water for bathing but of course it is limited in supply.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
It was not a campground. It was a private lot set up for rv. The water was well water. Neighboring properties have the same issues. Seems like they just get used to it. This is at Edisto Beach, SC.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
X 2 for the RO system.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
A Reverse Osmosis filter is the only water filter I've found to work reliably and remove the smell and sour taste. Not cheap and not RV friendly for anything other than drinking water since the filtration rate is too slow for everyday use. Bottled water (by the gallon) from those vending machine kiosks is RO water and is an economical drinking water option.

Chum lee

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
AS a kid we lived north of Albany Ga for a few months. Strong sulphur smell in several wells in the area. I guess you eventually get used to it, but I sure didn't. This was back before bottled water and my mom would put in a couple gallons from N Georgia when we would come home to visit.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Exactly the reason we bring our own. Most of the time we use the camp water but from time to time you get bad water, or they have to cut the water off for maintenance.

BTW what campground, what beach?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Did you talk to management? Their water system could be broken. What's the water taste like at restaurant across the street?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
The issue with smaller 10" filters is that they get saturated with contaminates quickly and bring water flow down to low GPM on an already slow system. You may want to try a pairing of 2 - 20inch filters, one with a cheaper, spun weave, higher micron sediment filter - this one is largely sacrificial catching most of the sediment and dissolved solids, and then a second filter of catalytic carbon. Catalytic carbon - while more expensive than charcoal- filters more contaminates than activated carbon (charcoal). Catalytic carbon is usually composed of pulverized coconut shells. At the beach you deal with a lot of Sulphur and tannins (not to mention all the lovely chemicals everything up river from the ocean the factories are kind enough to dump in the rivers - look up Gen X contamination) in the water and it's worse when rainfall amounts are lower - as it's been very dry on the lower east coast lately and thus contaminates are concentrated in the water sources and aquifers.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
I always carry enough bottled water for a drinking supply for a few days with me. And always leave home with a full fresh tank for toilets and showers....which comes from a municipal source that I trust.

I don't drink water from unknown wells, which usually are the ones that smell, and try not to drink from my own tank either even though I keep it clean and fresh.

While the odds of something bad happening might be relatively low, if it does happen it might be VERY BAD. Not worth the risk in my opinion.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Wee ran into the same problem in south Georgia, Florida and La.
We used two filters a 5 micron charcoal that ill get just about everything including sulfur and iron. It stopped up in La, done it's job and a second ceramic filter was then put on and it stopped up and was covered in brown and black and yellow sulfur, iron and other minerals, to the point I couldn't clean it..
So we carry more good charcoal filters 5 micron, and smaller, when I can get them, and replace a necessary. The blue one, I don't remember the number, that CW carried that fit the 10 inch housing was good but too expensive at near 40.00 each cartridge. Don't remember where I bought the last ones but Folks here, have posted several online sources. I recommend a prefilter that is cheaper, to get most of the bad stuff, at the faucet and the second closed to RV to get the smaller micron stuff. I don't always run two filters nd right no need a second housing.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
We have an inline filter with replaceable cartridges and use the charcoal filters to take out smells. That said, a month or two ago we were at a county park with sulfur smelling water. I didn't even connect too it. We ran off our tank that weekend. I didn't want to risk smelling it a month later.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Usually a charcoal based filter will remove the odor.
I should add that ALL filters have a useful life. If the water is full of sulfer, the filter may only last for a few gallons.