cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I 75 thru Atlanta

mirwin
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to leave home (Knoxville Tn) on 24 November 2019 and head south for the winter. We are pulling a 40 ft fifth wheel and will be passing through Atlanta. I thought this was a good idea since the 24th is a Sunday and traffic would be light. However, my neighbor informed me that the Falcons have a home game that day and are playing Tampa. Now I'm thinking I should change my plans. I'm not a football person but guessing that I75 will be heavy with people going to the game.

Any additional thoughts on this?
25 REPLIES 25

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Go right thru Atlanta at 10am or 2pm and you will be fine. Don't let the negative folks spoil your trip.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
Atlanta traffic is insane and getting worse every day.

Newsflash:
Traffic EVERYWHERE is pretty insane and getting worse every day.

We need some politicians who will look to the FUTURE instead of dwelling on the past.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bypasses suck. Stay on 75 thru town or do 441.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Atlanta traffic is insane and getting worse every day. I have been thru twice recently on trips to NC. First trip I took 85 north to 285 around to 85 again. I went thru noonish on a Thursday. It was crazy. The return was on Monday. We left Mt Pisgah early so to beat the afternoon rush, again horrible.

Second trip I left on Wednesday morning, 85 right thru town. Just as bad or worse than 285, again mid morning, should have been after the rush hour. Lanes in downtown are narrow. Return on Friday, we left Cherokee fairly early and it was still a mess on 285.

Only time the Atlanta traffic is pleasant is in the middle of the night. Quite frankly I would plan my departure from Knoxville so I went thru about midnight or 1 am.

I live south of Atlanta off of I-85 and work at the airport. I get all over the south side and enough elsewhere to know I don't like it.

Be sure and check the TDOT web site for closures, there may be some nighttime ones on I-75

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/2019/8/9/weekly-east-tennessee-construction-report-for-august-8-14--201...

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always go straight through on 75, often using the HOV lane if traffic is heavy...mid day or after 7PM.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dunno. Itโ€™s a crappp shoot. Iโ€™ve been thru five times in the last few years and going straight thru midday during the week was fine. 3-4 years ago south of where it usually clears out, a semi trailer caught fire and shut down 75 for 2-3 hours. We sat like picnickers.

This year headed north we got off 75 to go 85 to Gaffney and 85 was a disaster.

If you have traffic conditions on your GPS, Iโ€™ll go thru on 75 unless there is a wreck.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
Agree no good time, traffic during the day road work at night. Hit a bad spot with road work a week ago hour and a half to go about ten miles with no wear to exit. Just kept saying it beats work......

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
I've gone through there at night and early in the morning. There is no good time to go through Atlanta. Find another route to get where you're going.

This is not responsible advice.

I've been going back and forth through Atlanta for close to 40 years.
My daughter lives there.

Atlanta is no worse that most large cities.

Actually I-75 in Florida is completely blocked by "stuff" more often than it is in Atlanta.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I've gone through there at night and early in the morning. There is no good time to go through Atlanta. Find another route to get where you're going.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think you will see much traffic from a Falcons game. Just shoot straight through on 75. Just pick a middle lane and be patient, give plenty of room in front of you, and know people will jump in front of you. Just relax. I've been here almost 12 years, and still hate the place, but I've come to accept you never know what route is best, sinister go with the flow.

Most of the time you get through pretty quickly. If I head to the mountains on Fri night, I know the traffic will be horrible, and take twice as long as it should. Tis life in Helllanta.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Knoxville Tn > Waynesville NC > Franklin NC > Clayton Ga > Commerce Ga > Athens Ga > Madison Ga > Monticello Ga > Forsyth Ga and I-75 (use Macon bypass I- 475) and the back to I-75 south

US 441 does not go thru Macon however.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
I despise Atl traffic almost as much as Houston. Since you are taking a long trip and in no hurry, I'd recommend a circuitous route that excludes Atl completely. Barring that, I'd do as others said: either very early or during the game.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
We always take the bypass.

MOST of the time, that is exactly the WRONG thing to do.

Semi's are not allowed on 75/85 through town so they all are on the "bypass"......along with everybody else who thinks that the "bypass" will automatically be better.

Except for times when some idiot causes a major crash on 75, the bypass is NOT better.

If you avoid "rush hours", going right through town is usually best.

Is that also Thanksgiving weekend ??
If you hit town about half time, the game shouldn't be much of a factor.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Hwy 441 goes no where near Macon!

It's a name change Been there done that many times.look at a map.

Actually, my friend, you should look at a map. Just south of Eatonton, GA, Hwy 441 continues easterly and misses Macon by about 50 miles continuing towards Dublin, GA, crossing I-16 going to Augusta, GA and further east towards Fargo, GA. and the Okefenokee Swamp before eventually meeting up with I-75 at Lake City, FL.

Just south of Eatonton, GA you turn onto US Hwy 129 and that takes you to Macon.

IF YOU STAY ON HWY 441 YOU WILL NEVER GET TO MACON, GA!