cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 20 from Willits, CA to I% in Calif

Arkansas_Cowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have had mixed recommendations on traveling east from Willits to I5 South. I am pulling a 34 foot 5th wheel. Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Very pretty drive by Clear Lake with some gas stations, a little park on the south side of the hwy on the water, Foster Freeze for a treat, and plenty of turnouts on Hwy 20 to Williams. I always enjoyed stopping in Willits for a coffee, visit to Safeway, etc. on our way to Ft. Bragg or Mendocino and now the new Willits bypass is a option if you don;t want to stop in town.

rollexx
Explorer
Explorer
Traveled this route just two weeks ago with our 32 ft fiver. No problemo.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Arkansas Cowboy wrote:
I have had mixed recommendations on traveling east from Willits to I5 South. I am pulling a 34 foot 5th wheel. Any suggestions?

Well, it's always been recommended by RVers, on every RV forum I've belonged to.
And I lived in Napa Valley for a number of years and towed Highway 20 between 101 and I5 numerous times and never had an issue. It's not a fast route but it's the most direct route.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Arkansas Cowboy wrote:

It's about the only way to get there unless you want to go to the Bay Area or to the boarder.

I tow that route every time I go East with my heavy 30' TT.

There are no trains in Lake Co so there are many, many, many trucks use that route. Dozens and dozens and more trailers use that route every day.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
California Hwy. 20 is an interesting and pretty drive.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
A 34 footer will go on most any road, unless you don't have enough truck to pull it. My advice is to get the Motor Carrier's Road Atlas at any truck stop. The highlighted roads have been OK'd for truckers. My copy says take the 20 to Williams.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a few years but we pulled both directions with our 40' FW and it was an easy drive.