Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Tow/Haul off or on(ram)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow/Haul off or on(ram)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The direct drive ratio is the gear the input shaft and output shaft transfers the same amount of torque. Both are spinning at the same rpm in a 1:1 ratio. You have under drive gear ratios, a direct drive ratio, and over drive ratios. The direct drive does not have to be directly connected to the output shaft in order for it to be called the direct drive gear ratio.

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use tow mode when we tow. neighbor has a 2008 ram 5500 and a new just bought a 2019 5500. He can't tell any difference on the 08 towing or not and solo driving on the trip home same story but not towing. I don't understand why not.

chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

kellem wrote:

I use tow mode and OD off every time I tow.
Less shifting = cooler transmission.

Another trick for a cooler transmission is to take it out of drive if you are going to be stopped very long. I have seen that in a couple of my owner's manuals. One even warns that the transmission will overheat if left in drive too long while stopped.

That takes a long time

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

RoyJ wrote:

I'd like to know what transmission does that.

In most, OD off means exactly that - overdrive gears are not used, only up to and including direct drive.

Again, *most* transmissions would lock up sooner in direct drive, with OD off. I've never come across one where in OD off it stays in direct but with the converter unlocked.

You might want to check what transmissions have direct drive, mine doesn't.

Must be a very old one. Even my old Ford 2000 has a locking torque converter. It locks up even when OD is off

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

RoyJ wrote:

I'd like to know what transmission does that.

In most, OD off means exactly that - overdrive gears are not used, only up to and including direct drive.

Again, *most* transmissions would lock up sooner in direct drive, with OD off. I've never come across one where in OD off it stays in direct but with the converter unlocked.

You might want to check what transmissions have direct drive, mine doesn't.

Must be a very old one. Even my old Ford 2000 has a locking torque converter. It locks up even when OD is off

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread was interesting from the standpoint of how much bad information and lack of knowledge was expressed. [emoticon]

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

This thread was interesting from the standpoint of how much bad information and lack of knowledge was expressed. [emoticon]

Perhaps interesting but certainly far from unique on this site.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/19 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Tow/Haul going up hill but on downhill it is much to aggressive resulting in revs that do not appeal to me .

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The owners' manual doesn't explain the function and how and when to use it?

Just sayin'.....

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry barnhart wrote:

I use tow mode when we tow. neighbor has a 2008 ram 5500 and a new just bought a 2019 5500. He can't tell any difference on the 08 towing or not and solo driving on the trip home same story but not towing. I don't understand why not.

chevman

Likely because the Aisin trans (in both trucks) is already tuned from the factory to shift more like a heavy duty truck transmission resulting in less difference between normal mode and tow haul.
Aisins rev higher between shifts and keep the converter locked more than some other transmissions in "normal" mode.
And other than more aggressive downshifting and delayed shifting into the upper gear or 2, most transmissions will upshift about the same with respect to the load and % throttle when taking off from a stop with a load.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow/Haul off or on(ram)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS