cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Battery Question

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Today, August 3, Sam's club has a sale on Marine/RV batteries. Since my current Interstate is getting to be 3+ years old I'm considering purchasing one of the Duracell Marine/RV batteries at Sam's & keeping the Interstate currently in the camper as backup.

My Interstate hasn't been holding up well when dry camping at music festivals we attend. I do use my Honda 2000i as a backup charger, but would like a longer lasting battery plus one festival doesn't allow generators. Any background or experience with Duracell Marine/RV batteries would be much appreciated.

Two batteries under consideration:

Duracell 27MAGM Platinum w/ CCA-580 & MCA-900 price: about $160

Duracell SL34MAGM w/ CCA750 & MCA 850 price: about $120

This is for my 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE

Current Interestate - CCA-550 & MCA-690
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

12 REPLIES 12

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm more of a poorwad than a tightwad.

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Trojan and only Trojan offers a BCI car jar battery with other than pathetic plates. Of course, there is Rolls, but the price scares tightwads back under the bed.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi

Here is some information that may help:

https://www.driveduracell.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/Duracell_Spec_Sheet.pdf

Parrothead Mike wrote:
Original poster here.

Bought the Duracell 27MAGM Platinum w/ CCA-580 & MCA-900. Was on sale for $138 + tax. Had to get it at Sam's today due to the one day sale. Thanks to everyone for your input.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Trojan and only Trojan offers a BCI car jar battery with other than pathetic plates. Of course, there is Rolls, but the price scares tightwads back under the bed.

There is 50 TIMES the difference between a standard golf car battery and a standard car jar battery. Thirty times the difference between a golf car battery and a Trojan car jar and 500 times the difference between a car jar and a Rolls.

The only difference between car jar batteries is the plate paste. The RV marine has a more porous cured paste. then a golf car the same manufacturer. The really big 2-volt cell batteries offer significantly harder plates. As I pointed out in earlier threads getting a 175 MCA out of a hybrid Car jar with 2-volt cell type plates would be a miracle.

I do love Costco's return refund policy. Best in the buiness.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Original poster here.

Bought the Duracell 27MAGM Platinum w/ CCA-580 & MCA-900. Was on sale for $138 + tax. Had to get it at Sam's today due to the one day sale. Thanks to everyone for your input.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I've had two of the Duracell SL34MAGM and used them as starting batteries in a Cavalier and an F150. Both perform well as starters. The 20 Ah rate for them is 55. Not much if you're off gridding a lot.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
CCA and MCA are not very important for a "house" battery. Reserve capacity (RC) and 20 amp hour rating are a more important numbers.

pianotuna wrote:
Hate to say it but look at golf cart jars. They are true deep cycle batteries.

Yep ! In the long run, you will be happier with a pair of 6V GC-2 golf cart batteries. If AGM is a "MUST HAVE", AGM golf cart batteries do exist, but are difficult to acquire and are much more expense than "flooded" golf cart batteries.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Except for running AC and microwave why arenโ€™t you recharging with solar? That one โ€œgenerator freeโ€ festival must be pleasant.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I would consider those batteries about the same as Interstate, no better or worse
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hate to say it but look at golf cart jars. They are true deep cycle batteries.
Regards, Don

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
In the OP aren't they all "starting" batteries? You want a "deep cycle" battery. At least get one with "DC" in its name even if it is a hybrid starting/deep cycle type. Look for AH rating at the 20 hr rate. Should be 90 or so. More is better.

Yeah, the 20 amp hour rate: 92 according to the website description. I agree, I don't need cold cranking, but deep cycle.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the OP aren't they all "starting" batteries? You want a "deep cycle" battery. At least get one with "DC" in its name even if it is a hybrid starting/deep cycle type. Look for AH rating at the 20 hr rate. Should be 90 or so. More is better.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Chances are it's the charging and not the battery. Percentage like 90%.

100% guesswork until you obtain an accurate hydrometer and observe reality vs guesswork.

Some folks go through batteries like a 10-year-old goes through M&M's. They refuse to make an effort to diagnose an obvious argument between reality and what they think ๐Ÿ™‚