cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best way through St. Paul

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Heading up 35 toDuluth tomorrow. Is it best to take 494 around the city?
8 REPLIES 8

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
pyoung47 wrote:
Heading up 35 toDuluth tomorrow. Is it best to take 494 around the city?

Just curious.
Heading to the Blues festival?
Or touring the North Shore?

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
young,
Thanks guess might as well find a different route.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Getting through the twin cities proved tough. Construction detoured us from getting through on I35E and accessing I494 around. We finally took 62 East to 494 and made it around the city only to be backed up for quite a while due to construction north of the city.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend a wide berth. Came thru there on 35E about 10 days ago and never saw so many rude, hurrying, weaving, crazy drivers anyplace else. One idiot in particular... I was passing a truck and as soon as I was sure of proper clearance I started to the right so others could pass too, but this yahoo did not want to wait and wheeled into the right lane fast so he got himself cut off as I moved over with my trailer. He had to wait for another motorist before he could swing left and pass me. By then I was caught up to the next slow mover so I moved left behind him. So he slowed waaay down to punish me for the imagined slight. After a quarter minute of this he took off like a bat out of h.

Moral of the story: avoid the Twin Cities if possible,. If you must drive thru there, don't bother moving over out of courtesy after you have passed because it will only tick them off.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
pyoung47 post how your journey was. I am leaving MO on Tue. headed to Two Harbors. Will be headed up 35
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
The route H. Cramer stated will work, just watch getting onto 35N I believe, the on ramp is very short and people are trying to get off as well at the same time. We almost met our maker a couple of times. We now go up Hwy 101 to Mora then to 35N to Duluth, a lot less stress...
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
Best to go up 35E. 35W is under construction with some weekend closures.
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/weekendtrafficimpacts/

H__Cramer
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back 2 weeks ago from Minn. 2500 Miles worth, From St. Peters, Mo.
Took the Loop as we camped at a KOA N.West of the City.
Next Day we used 694 to 35 West to 35 (kind of Confusing), on the Duluth
then Two Harbors, and beyond
Should be OK through the City on a Weekend.

Safe Travels.

H. C.
Out