Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My set up and TT length
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> My set up and TT length

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Bigfoot2005

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi guys

My TV is a 2016 F150 Lariat CC with a 157" WB, 2350 lbs payload and 11400 lb tow rating (I have the HD payload package) with ecoboost

I am looking in getting a new TT next year. Looking at these

Jayco 28BHS - 33 feet @ 8750 GVWR
GD Image 2800 - 32 Feet @ 8000 GVWR

I know I am good with payload, GVWR and GCWR but what are your thoughts and experience towing up to a 33 foot TT

I do longer trips 5-6 hour drives through some mountain areas and flat areas too

Thanks

bstar1952

Bandera, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big howdy from Texas Bigfoot - I'm sure you'll get lots of reply's but here is my experience and my opinion. I tow a 34' TT with weights close to what you are considering. My '17 F-150 has the Max Tow package (not the HD payload package)with the 3.5 EB. We are under every towing limit for our truck and feel very safe when towing. We also tow longer distances and so far I've not had any problems. Towed up and down mountains, in wind, rain and on interstates with every other vehicle passing us being a semi doing 80 mph. Do we know its "back there", sure do but again, we've never felt unsafe. I use a Fastway E2 WDH that I've dialed-in and tt/tv are level. I also installed LT tires, SumoSprings and Bilstein shocks. We're very happy with our set-up, but again that's just my experience. With the HDPP, I believe you'll be in better shape than me. In fact, we're getting ready to head out to Colorado and South Dakota here in a month, probably around 3500 miles all told. Good luck with whatever model TT you decide on.

Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2017 Ford F-150 XLT; 3.5 Ecoboost; Max Tow
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice payload for a 1/2 ton. When I went looking for a 1/2 ton I couldn't find any of the Fords with the max payload package.

I got a GMC with their max trailering and payload is 2015. My trailer is 34"4' from hitch to bumper. 8200lbs CVW

I don't have any real issues with sway with my setup, but am using a 4 pt hitch. I've towed from central BC, through to Banff, Jasper area and also down the Oregon Coast. Never felt unsafe, just had some proposing issues between Jasper and Banff that I blame more on the bad frost heaves.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Bigfoot2005

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Yes, the HD payload package I waited for months for. Really wanted that extra payload as my tongue weight is usually fairly high with 2 6 volts and 2 30lb tanks plus all the **** we take in the bed of the truck.

I currently have the Reese Straight line WDH with sway control and have for most of the trailers I have owned and seems to work well

Might have to get a new one with the new trailer as the TW will change to more

LoudRam

Southern NJ

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is my second 33' trailer. Both trailers I towed with a 1500 Ram. I use an Equalizer 4pt sway control and weight distribution hitch and never had any sway issues.

Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4
2018 Dutchmen Aspen Trail 2880RKS

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be fine with that truck. Mine is almost 34 and I've been all over and back in 11 years with the 5.4 wheezer. Tows fine, but short on power. My HD payload is 2200 and I use all of it. What you need to watch is your tongue weight. Not so much because the truck can't handle it, but because the hitch receiver is probably maxed out at 1150 lbs. My tongue is usually 1050 ish. I broke out my stock one and replaced it with a Drawtite. Head and shoulders above OEM spaghetti junk Ford puts on. Stiffer rear shocks may help. I do have some porpoising at times, but not terrible.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Bigfoot2005

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for your replies

Thankfully my hitch TW can handle up to 1210 lbs as per the sticker.
Should not go over that I hope

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you going to pull a big trailer, why not use a big truck?

badercubed

Canandaigua, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From experience, I think when you get into the 35fters that are extra tall and pushing 10k is where the half-ton (max tow / payload) trucks run short. 33ft and 8k won't be a problem. Also, you will never lack for power with that truck.

2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2018 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE

Been camping for 36 of my 37 years!

librty02

Western Pa

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should not have a problem with the set up as long at the WDH is dialed in correctly. Like said above just watch tongue weight and what your hitch is rated for. I assume it might be the same as mine and mine is rated for 1320lbs. which would be right at your max on the heavier trailer IF you had a full 15% tongue weight. Just keep the speeds around 60 to 65 max and enjoy the scenery on your trip and good luck with whatever new rig you choose.

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> My set up and TT length
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS