Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Hitch choice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch choice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Dave H M wrote:

Long live REESE, [emoticon] that is all this ole country boy ever used.

The original US Made ones or recent years CHINESE Made units?

And would it make a difference , like Sailun tires believe it or not there are standards to build too. The US is not the only country that builds quality products . Are you going to tell us now Reese is no good ??

Same with the older Dodge/Rams made in the USA vs the newer Rams made in Mexico. Same size shoe.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Same with the older Dodge/Rams made in the USA vs the newer Rams made in Mexico. Same size shoe."

First gen 2500/3500 RAM's were Made in US and Mexico as were Second gen trucks. After that I don't know.

I have owned 5 RAM's two US Made and 3 Mexico. Many on the TDR would say their 2nd gen Mexi trucks were better built. I can't agree as all of mine have been great. The trucks made in either place are MOSTLY US Made components. My two US Made rAM's have over 400k each and are in great condition.

Chinese Made Products are simply Made In China.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"Same with the older Dodge/Rams made in the USA vs the newer Rams made in Mexico. Same size shoe."

First gen 2500/3500 RAM's were Made in US and Mexico as were Second gen trucks. After that I don't know.

I have owned 5 RAM's two US Made and 3 Mexico. Many on the TDR would say their 2nd gen Mexi trucks were better built. I can't agree as all of mine have been great. The trucks made in either place are MOSTLY US Made components. My two US Made rAM's have over 400k each and are in great condition.

What a lucky guy you are to have such great trucks.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Same can be said about made in china Reese hitches or any product made in china.....or your Ram made in Mexico.
You like your made in Mexico Ram. Same for those that like their made in china hitch.
Just be happy with your foreign made product.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

Same can be said about made in china Reese hitches or any product made in china.....or your Ram made in Mexico.
You like your made in Mexico Ram. Same for those that like their made in china hitch.
Just be happy with your foreign made product.

I’m as equally happy with my Mexico Ram, as I am my China Sailuns . Foreign made is foreign made .

Retired JSO

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will say B&W. The hitch head is safe. It’s is either correct or it won’t close on the pin. When the jaws are locked it won’t release then made double safe in place and secured with a pin.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired JSO wrote:

I will say B&W. The hitch head is safe. It’s is either correct or it won’t close on the pin. When the jaws are locked it won’t release then made double safe in place and secured with a pin.

I can say the same about my 18k Reese Signature hitch , same head as the Reese Elite. There is many quality hitches .

For what the OP is towing the Andersen would be ideal.

prstlk

Post Falls ID

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at Anderson. We have had one for over 20k since 2017. 0 problems and no chunking. They are good idea for those who also need to tow a stock trailer or goose neck. Nice thing is you can carry it in one hand if you have to take it out for other uses for the PU. The hitch does require a complete frame mounted ball hitch to the bed of the truck so pricing is comparable
to most other products. In the small park I'm in tonight out of six 5th wheels 4 are running the Anderson system

2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 03:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My point about the products Made in CHINA they are generally COMPLETELY Made in CHINA.

RAM HD Trucks are "Assembled" in Mexico, BIG difference as the vast majority of components are Made in USA.

FACT is CURT for example is VERY deceptive as to where their products are MADE. MOST would think they are Made in USA.

From CURT,

"CURT, a CURT Group brand, offers a complete line of towing products and is the leading manufacturer of USA-made custom-fit trailer hitches. We offer the broadest selection of custom-fit receiver hitches for nearly every vehicle on the road today.

We also offer gooseneck, 5th wheel and weight distribution hitches, as well as electrical components, ball mounts, trailer balls, cargo carriers, bike racks and other towing accessories."

I do have some US Made CURT products they are VERY nice quality.

Response below from CURT on where their 5er hitches are Made. I wonder if they are re considering where they have their 5er hitches made???

[image]

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You seem to be stuck on Curt Hitches . Sailuns are completely made in China and Sailuns are a quality tire, and are well proven. Not sure your point on Curt hitches are they or are they not a quality hitch.

Pretty tough these days to stay away from foreign made products. Take a look at the clothes you buy, home products, etc etc the list goes on.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch choice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS