cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Please edecate me on Chromebooks

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've always used Windows laptops and know a little about other operating systems. I may want to buy another laptop, and noticed that Chromebooks are quite a bit less expensive.
Is it true that a chromebook can only be used when Internet is available? Wouldn't that be an impediment if you wanted to use the device at other times? If you're using a Chromebook, how do you like it? Thanks in advance for your input and advice.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
25 REPLIES 25

GreysonY
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on which model you have. You can copy and paste the model number in the address bar > enter > to find the manual.

Admin - https://copymachinereviews.com/brother-compact-monochrome/

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Blasted Cloud print says "Confirm on your printer check it now"

Printer says "What" (Well it says "Copy menu" I can't get to any kind of confirmation request.. Will try later (let it time out from what it thinks I want) I do not always like devices that do not understand "I don't want to do that".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
paddykernahan wrote:
<<<< HATE IT >>>>

Bought one for my 86 year old mother.
Figured it would be simpler for her to use.
Have not been able to connect her WIFI scanner/printer.
If I would have bought a MS Widows I would have had it set-up in two minutes.

Other than not being able to hook up to printer it works great for my mom.

Connecting a Chromebook to a wifi scanner/printer is easy. My wife has a Chromebook and it connected immediately to our wifi printer. Go to Settings(Advanced)/Printing/Printers and then click on Add Printer. It will find any wifi printers.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
paddykernahan wrote:
<<<< HATE IT >>>>

First make sure your printer is connected to your wifi network. Then download Google Cloud print. Then when you go to print a document, it finds your printer on the network.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
zigzagrv wrote:
Had a Chromebook for 2 days. Was almost useless without internet. Returned it and got a real laptop.

What do you use a lap top for then, if you don't need it for internet/on line?

Have you ever heard of SOFTWARE/PROGRAMS (NOT apps)? I have several PROGRAMS on my laptop I use regularly that do NOT require the internet. I can also use my laptop for internet browsing....very versatile. Plus, I do not care to put my stuff in the 'cloud' for others to see or hack. CB would NOT allow me to install the programs. I use my phone and tablet for apps. To me, the Chromebook is simply the next level of a tablet.

I'm with ajriding.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
paddykernahan wrote:
<<<< HATE IT >>>>

That is a shame. I was concerned I'd have trouble connecting our wifi printer, a BROTHER brand, to my wife's new chromebook. However, it was much simpler than when I did the same for my new windows 10 laptop. I don't even know what I did to tell you, it was just that fast and simple. I clicked some button, asked me if I wanted to connect a printer, if it was wifi and next thing I know, it found it. I clicked yes and it was done. Test printed and worked fine.

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
<<<< HATE IT >>>>

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How did this go from Computer hardware to politics? (And please do not answer that)

(Moderator's Note: Those comments have been deleted.)

For those of you who say the chromebook can't do anyhthing without an internet connection. Clearly you've not used one.. As I said it can run android apps. Limioted linux apps and several other apps that make it useful

But yes. I do use it mostly for web work. But I use 'em offline too.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:

The cheap laptops, as mentioned, are made to be internet only devices. If you want to do word processing (write a letter or a book) then you have to connect to the internet and you have to use the google (or someone's) storage space (and they have access to it). These cheap laptops do not have software, you use the software on the internet. Without the internet your computer is dumb.

You become dependent on the "cloud". You own nothing that is yours on your laptop, and become a slave since all your stuff is in their cloud. Haha, this can be very convenient to that everything you own in the digital world is accessible anytime you have internet, and you can connect from any device as long as you are able to login.
I have friends that have all their work stuff in the cloud and enjoy the ability to access anything anytime from anywhere.

Most people dont use a computer for what it is capable of, they just do the internet web pages, so the cheap ones are fine for this.

We already can't live without the cloud. Email, online banking, and most of everything else all cloud. I would argue Facebook, and the 79 companies they own, are more of a menace than Google, but their all a menace, we just have to pick our poison. Microsoft, Apple or Google. As far as owning programs; when your laptop pukes those programs are just money wasted. And thumb drives? The data is only good on them for about 10 years is what I've read. The best thing you can do is give them false data. I have a lot of fun with them cause I give them fake information. Microsoft is trying to make me fess up to my real birthday Ha ha fight back by confusing their data base. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ski Pro 3 wrote:

Here's a very short video that explains the difference between an SSD and 'spinning' Hard Drive;

SSD vs HD

THanks. Know the difference but others might not.

I have 2 gig of storage NOT in use on this machine and 3 on the other one here. As I said I slap files (recipies even hour long videos) on teh SSD in the Chromebook then eventually I transfer the Mostly text or PDF files to a thumb drive and then to my Windozer...

Videos I watch

For the guy who returned his CB after 2 days
You never had time to browse the play/app store for useful programs like the Text Editor that holds my boilerplates and many other files

You have to add apps. ONCE.. In fact to give you an idea of how "ONCE" when I got the 2nd CB.. I logged in with the same user name and PW and it promptly started downloading apps.. The two computers are (Save for the stored data files) Identical. Same apps cross populated since it's all the same account.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Always been of the philosophy that 'Chrome don't get ya home'.....:R
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks or the replies, folks. From the reviews, it appears I'll keep sticking to regular Windows laptops for now. I don't care about faster startups since I'm never in a hurry. Any other benefits of a Chromebook don't impress me either. But I do appreciate all the candid replies.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
The cheap laptops, as mentioned, are made to be internet only devices. If you want to do word processing (write a letter or a book) then you have to connect to the internet and you have to use the google (or someone's) storage space (and they have access to it). These cheap laptops do not have software, you use the software on the internet. Without the internet your computer is dumb.

You become dependent on the "cloud". You own nothing that is yours on your laptop, and become a slave since all your stuff is in their cloud. Haha, this can be very convenient to that everything you own in the digital world is accessible anytime you have internet, and you can connect from any device as long as you are able to login.
I have friends that have all their work stuff in the cloud and enjoy the ability to access anything anytime from anywhere.

Most people dont use a computer for what it is capable of, they just do the internet web pages, so the cheap ones are fine for this.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

Do they have a "Hard Drive" no. they have a SSD. and yes they do have memory you can use Not a lot as a rule though you can always plug in half a terrabyte (500 gig or so for storage. (more or less. I often plug in 16 Gig to transfer to my long term storage / cookbook Windows box

Here's a very short video that explains the difference between an SSD and 'spinning' Hard Drive;

SSD vs HD