cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Charger Replacement Help!

Thoodenpyl
Explorer
Explorer
I have a custom Nugget made in 1975. The battery charger has gone and I need to replace it but the system is custom. I think it is pretty straight forward but I would love some idea if I am right.

The new chargers have several phases, can I adapt the battery plug in to this plug in again? If so do I have to turn the charger switch on and off if the new battery chargers have trickle mode?

I canโ€t get my pictures to show up, so explaining this seems difficult :S
17 REPLIES 17

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thoodenpyl wrote:
I just want to stay very basic. This is only a 9โ€™ trailer with two plug ins a microwave refridge and fantastic fan.
If you want to stay very basic, and you don't have a converter now, and you use hookups when camping, I would just install a cheap 10 to 20 amp automotive charger in its place. From your posts the refrigerator, micro wave, fan etc all run off of 120v the only thing you use 12v for is the lights is that correct?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Sell the old charger on eBay, working or not - or I'll take it if you don't want to bother!
People collect stuff like that for garage art.

BTW, it would be better if the new charger was not mounted in the same compartment as the battery.

Good luck!

Scott

Thoodenpyl
Explorer
Explorer
I just want to stay very basic. This is only a 9โ€™ trailer with two plug ins a microwave refridge and fantastic fan.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I edited my original post as I am not an expert; You should not follow any of my suggestions except to contact a licensed electrician and maybe call Randy at Bestconverters and get his advice.

Good luck getting your charging system back up and running. Hopefully you will have your system back up and running while camping season is still here.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or you could go crazy and install a modern power distribution center. This would have all the 120v breakers and stack of 12v fuses all in one place. Depending on location of the main connections this might require pulling some wire to the central location.

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD4045-45-Amp-Inteli-Power-Mighty-Mini-Power-Center

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

Click For Full-Size Image.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Thoodenpyl
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! That is what I was thinking too.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a modern deck mount converter and wire it direct to the battery or 12v system and let it run 24/7 when power is available.

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD-9245C-45-Amp-RV-ConverterCharger

Thoodenpyl
Explorer
Explorer

Thoodenpyl
Explorer
Explorer

Thoodenpyl
Explorer
Explorer
There isnโ€™t a converter. This is a custom job with a battery charger.

Thoodenpyl
Explorer
Explorer
***Link Removed***
***Link Removed***.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Very possible, but can you you give us a bit more information to help give an informed opinion.

Is there a fuse box of any sort in the trailer?

Is the charger and fuse box one assembled unit or are they separate?

Does your trailer have electric brakes and you have a brake controller in the tow vehicle? Or does the trailer use a flat 4 wire plug to connect to the tow vehicle? I'm asking only because the battery has to be present and connected for the breakaway system (if equipped) to work when towing.

Can you post a picture of the front of the converter or fuse panel if equipped? You can try using the photo and hosting page for that. When using the link make sure you click on the "full size photo" checkbox and copy the entire address into your post. If you still can't get the photos to post then just post them like you did before and I or somebody else on here will move them for you. Photo posting link.

Here's a link to BestConverter.com. You might try clicking on the "Ask Randy" link at the top of the page and talk to him. He's supposed to be very knowledgeable about the systems. But my guess is he'll need some kind of model number off the converter panel.
Link

Thoodenpyl
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m just wondering if I can use a new charger, adapt the battery connection to the plug in connection and call it good?