Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Break Out Another Thousand....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Break Out Another Thousand....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

Someone said that used cost about as much as new. Nope, not the way I would do it. By "used" I mean used enough to cost half or less of a new one. In our case we purchased a 9 year old unit that cost around $80000 new for $23000. Only 20000 miles. In other words it had depreciated over $50000. We've spent plenty on it but no where near $50000. More like $10000 in 7 years. And don't forget "new' becomes "used" as soon as you sign the papers. Don't over rate the warranty.

I bought a new king ranch diesel 1 ton in 2011. I replaced it in 2016 with a new Platinum and in 2017 I sold the '16 and bought my current truck. I could sell my current truck truck today for $7000 less than what I paid for it. So since 2011 I've always been driving a fairly new fully loaded truck and the total amount I've spent on depreciation and repairs since January 2011 is $30,000. I likely could have bought a nice 2001 diesel back in 2011 for $20000 and today that truck would have another 160,000 miles on it and be worth maybe $5k. Assuming I could have got away with $1000 per year on repairs my total cost of depreciation and repairs driving an old truck for the past 9 years could have been $23000 instead of the $30,000 it has cost me to be driving a new truck. The other big cost of driving a new vehicle has been the opportunity cost of the extra money that I've had tied up in a truck. So maybe that has cost me another $25000. So I guess if I had saved my pennies and drove an old beater instead of driving splashy new trucks for the past 9 years I could be about $32000 wealthier today.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gulfcoast wrote:

Man, it costs to keep these RV's / Trucks and trailers on the road.

Having my transmission rebuilt this week in my 2500 diesel.

There goes another $2000....

I guess that's better than making big payments every month for a new one though.

Anyone spending any $$$$ on your rigs lately?

My GMC Duramax is 17 years old. That’s 74 in dog years same as me. Both of us need a bunch of repairs. Wish my truck had Medicare.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Jayco-noslide wrote:

Someone said that used cost about as much as new. Nope, not the way I would do it. By "used" I mean used enough to cost half or less of a new one. In our case we purchased a 9 year old unit that cost around $80000 new for $23000. Only 20000 miles. In other words it had depreciated over $50000. We've spent plenty on it but no where near $50000. More like $10000 in 7 years. And don't forget "new' becomes "used" as soon as you sign the papers. Don't over rate the warranty.

I bought a new king ranch diesel 1 ton in 2011. I replaced it in 2016 with a new Platinum and in 2017 I sold the '16 and bought my current truck. I could sell my current truck truck today for $7000 less than what I paid for it. So since 2011 I've always been driving a fairly new fully loaded truck and the total amount I've spent on depreciation and repairs since January 2011 is $30,000. I likely could have bought a nice 2001 diesel back in 2011 for $20000 and today that truck would have another 160,000 miles on it and be worth maybe $5k. Assuming I could have got away with $1000 per year on repairs my total cost of depreciation and repairs driving an old truck for the past 9 years could have been $23000 instead of the $30,000 it has cost me to be driving a new truck. The other big cost of driving a new vehicle has been the opportunity cost of the extra money that I've had tied up in a truck. So maybe that has cost me another $25000. So I guess if I had saved my pennies and drove an old beater instead of driving splashy new trucks for the past 9 years I could be about $32000 wealthier today.
If a person can afford a new truck, why not. You get to drive new and new owners get a late model used truck.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"My GMC Duramax is 17 years old. That’s 74 in dog years same as me. Both of us need a bunch of repairs. Wish my truck had Medicare."

Best reply in a long time!! Thanks for brightening our day!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a forum where a fuel octane thread can get our of hand because people don't know the difference between "may" and "shall", or similar terminology, something about cost of ownership and depreciation is bound to get blown to the moon.
There are soooo many factors that affect the overall cost of vehicle ownership and people's interpretation of such, it would be like combining the which oil, which tires, gvw, payload AND octane arguments ALL into one! (And likely the Dmax Vs Powerjoke vs Cummins threads too!)

Carry on boys....

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best part of this thread is that I don’t feel so bad about spending for repairs on my truck, come to find out everyone does!

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replaced tires on rig, trailer and the explorer, $6200 out the door.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

DustyR

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/19 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2008 Duramax that I purchased with 91,000 miles on it. I usually use a rule of thumb budgetings apx amount of 3 vehicle payments per year as a maintenance/repair budget.
50,000 Mile major maintenace usually sets me back $600 plus. I had a electrical quirk show up last year that set me back apx $2000. Vehicle rental was also included in that amount.
We all know diesel vehicles are more expense to maintain, but when coupled with the longevity the per mile cost is offset.
I spoke yesterday with a friend that went from diesel back to gasoline. I asked him how it was handling his fifth wheel, his response "fine until I hit the mountains and I'm not used to running with my four way flashers on at 35 mph while the engine turns 5000 rpm pulling this load up the mountain". He said he was returning to a diesel.

I guess his experience was the same as mine as I went to diesel for the added torque and fuel economy towing. My Duramax is also my daily driver.

* This post was edited 08/07/19 05:51am by DustyR *

Coachmen Denali 270FK 32 Ft.
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Gulfcoast

Southeast

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can relate going up a mountain on 35 mph in a gas rig... so glad to have a diesel now.

TTCrewmax

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DustyR wrote:

I have a 2008 Duramax that I purchased with 91,000 miles on it. I usually use a rule of thumb budgetings apx amount of 3 vehicle payments per year as a maintenance/repair budget.
50,000 Mile major maintenace usually sets me back $600 plus. I had a electrical quirk show up last year that set me back apx $2000. Vehicle rental was also included in that amount.
We all know diesel vehicles are more expense to maintain, but when coupled with the longevity the per mile cost is offset.
I spoke yesterday with a friend that went from diesel back to gasoline. I asked him how it was handling his fifth wheel, his response "fine until I hit the mountains and I'm not used to running with my four way flashers on at 35 mph while the engine turns 5000 rpm pulling this load up the mountain". He said he was returning to a diesel.

I guess his experience was the same as mine as I went to diesel for the added torque and fuel economy towing. My Duramax is also my daily driver.

I would ask what gas engine/truck he went with?

I have a group of 3 buddies that we go camping with all the time, all with similar trailers/5th wheel weights.

They are '00 F350 7.3, '05 Duramax and a '15 3500 Dodge. My '08 Tundra doesn't have a hard time keeping up with any of them (except the 15 Dodge on long mtn passes - that truck just goes.)
It just can't stay out of the dealership.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Break Out Another Thousand....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS