cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric steps for RV that did not come with them

BeaverCamper
Explorer
Explorer
We recently went from a Class A to our current Class C.
2019 Coachmen Leprechaun on a Ford E450 frame.
It did not come from the factory with electric steps which we really liked in the Class A.
I looked on line and could only find replacement electric steps so I wanted to know if anyone has installed electric steps on their Class C that did not come from the factory with them?
If so who sells them?
Thanks!
BeaverCamper (2019 Coachmen Leprechaun 260 DS)
16 REPLIES 16

rentman99
Explorer
Explorer
Well that's odd. If they have circuitry for the warning light, why not have an ignition signal wire for the step motor? Oh well...

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
rentman99 wrote:

You ever catch yourself wanting to step down before checking if the step is there?

Not really. Probably one reason is that I'm likely to exit the driver's door when first arriving somewhere, rather than the "main" entrance. It's a little more obvious the step isn't there when stepping up than when stepping down.

What I have done a few times is drive off without retracting the step, despite there being an idiot light that Coachmen added on the dash. Luckily that hasn't resulted in any mischief as yet. In my defense I will point out that the idiot light is poorly placed in that the crossbar of the steering wheel very effectively blocks it from view most of the time. (That light setup consists of a reed switch and magnet strategically attached to the step mechanism wired to the indicator light, which I believe is on a chassis run circuit so it only illuminates when the engine is on. It ought not be hard to add a warning beeper, which maybe I should do at some point.)

rentman99
Explorer
Explorer
That would be much easier.

You ever catch yourself wanting to step down before checking if the step is there?

My last RV had the automatic steps. I'm still getting used to the manual steps on this current RV.

I do miss the powered steps more than I thought I would.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
rentman99 wrote:
I've looked into this, and will be doing this mod soon.

The power steps are not an issue, but the controls will be a job..

switch button in the door jamb
Switch on the wall
signal from the ignition switch
Power to the steps.

All pretty straight forward, but running the circuits will be a pain.

Also, the wire harness for the steps is sold separately, so you'll need to research that, too.

You can also go simple with the controls and have just a manual switch similar to a power window switch. It appears that Kwikee calls that the "Standard drive operations and power switch kit." In that case, all you need is power and wires to and from the switch, which generally would be mounted quite close to the door anyhow.

My Coachmen class C has this sort of setup, and I have no complaints. They put the switch right next to the entry stairs, near the battery shutoff switch.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I think you'll find that due to the design of your coach that the permanent steps are likely already low enough to provide easy entry and thus would probably be too low to add another step. They might hit the ground a few times. I would find the specs of an electric step and see what the extended height is. Is there a reason you want to add them? Are the fixed steps too high? Perhaps a portable, single step, stool would be easier - and cheaper.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

rentman99
Explorer
Explorer
I've looked into this, and will be doing this mod soon.

The power steps are not an issue, but the controls will be a job..

switch button in the door jamb
Switch on the wall
signal from the ignition switch
Power to the steps.

All pretty straight forward, but running the circuits will be a pain.

Also, the wire harness for the steps is sold separately, so you'll need to research that, too.

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Not....having an electric step was something we considered a 'positive' thing when we were shopping for our Class C. One less thing to go wrong, become problematic, or need maintenance.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
It’s possible, I’ve done it. It was about 27 years ago, so I don’t remember the specifics, but iirc it was quite a job.
-- Chris Bryant

BeaverCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Great thanks all for your advice!

youracman
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Beaver-

I found the link to the dwgs for various Kwikee steps ..... I'll try to post the link.
https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exterior/kwikee_svc_manual.pdf

Best---- ed s
Ed Sievers, Denver, CO
07 WGO Outlook 31-C; '16 Kia Soul with 6spd DIY Tranny
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"

youracman
Explorer
Explorer
BeaverCamper wrote:
We recently went from a Class A to our current Class C.
2019 Coachmen Leprechaun on a Ford E450 frame.
It did not come from the factory with electric steps which we really liked in the Class A.
I looked on line and could only find replacement electric steps so I wanted to know if anyone has installed electric steps on their Class C that did not come from the factory with them?
If so who sells them?
Thanks!

I note your style coach has a body "drop down" in the area where the electric steps are on a lot of other Class C's. Evidently this is to make that first step up into the coach low enough so the owners can navigate it? You are wise to ensure this is "doable" and to request contact with someone who has done it, IMHO. If the normal "Kwikee" steps (like mine) have to be shimmed down to clear that "body drop down" ..... lack of sufficient ground clearance in the stored position might "quash the deal". Hope not.

Mine is a single-tread Kwikee (Series 28) and the stored height measurement is just under 6 inches. I do see a Series 31 in my PDF that has a stored height of just 4-1/4 inches....probably your best bet. If you get that far along, I'll try to email you a copy of that PDF (forget how I came by it.)

Good luck with the "hoped for" mod ...... and safe travels.
Ed Sievers, Denver, CO
07 WGO Outlook 31-C; '16 Kia Soul with 6spd DIY Tranny
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I would go someplace other than LCI for information. Try etrailer.com. LCI has not been friendly with end users and prefers to deal with their dealerships. LCI also makes steps under their name and if I remember correctly they are more expensive than the Kwikee models.

I don't know how many steps you have but from the width I would guess you are going to be using a series 32 step.

My rig has a complete steel cage around the area where the steps are mounted and so I can't answer your question about the suitability of mounting to your battery box, but I doubt if is a good idea.

Did your rig come with a option for electric steps. If so take a look at a new one at the dealers. You could even contact Camping World in Wilsonville I believe, they will know exactly what you need. I just noticed you're in Bend, Eugene is closest to you.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

BeaverCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I have an e-mail in to them and I think I will also drop into my local RV dealer.
Thanks

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps the technical folks at Kwikee have had this question before? Maybe?
Why not contact them and ask, rather than take our advice, and waste a whack of cash on something that won't work.
Just trying to help.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)